Mig 21 PF Question

franky boy

Hi everyone

Probably a stupid question this one but I'm building an Eduard Mig 21PF for the nato Warsaw Pact GB. On the etched fret in the kit the side consoles are a blue grey colour. I thought Russian aircraft of this era were turquoise? Is this an early/late airframe thing or have Eduard matched the colour of the etch to the Gunze paint that they recommend?

Forgive the probably stupid question but I usually build WW2 subjects and am well out of my modelling comfort zone with this one!

Thanks for the answers in advance.

James

The turquoise cockpit colour you refer to wasn't introduced until after the early Mig-21's were introduced, I certainly know the Mig-21PFM had early variants with the grey cockpits and and later models with the blue/green colour.

It all depends on which country will be represented on your kit. ALL MiG-21PF's had a light grey cockpit with black instrument panel. Have to add ORIGINALLY. That is when they were delivered to War Pac countries. After years of operation in these colours the aircraft were sent for regular maintenance/overhaul and the Czechoslovak airframes received the Russian turquois blue over paint in the cockpits. So on Czech airframes you could find it but only there.

The PFM’s also had grey cockpits originally and this was a long debate with Eduard guys on release of their PFM kit. They did not believe me about the grey cockpit as the one they inspected in a Czech museum had the turquois blue. So originally the PFM kit came out with turquois blue etchings. I have shown them my original factory fresh PFM canopy which is grey! I think they had some input from other sources too about this question as later they did make an alternative prepainted etching for the cockpit of the PFM with grey panels. So now you have an alternative for this, note when ordering it!

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks for informative answers Gabor and flogger man. Very interesting.

Looks like it's blue/grey then. Shame as I was looking forward to spraying some of the turquoise around. Next time?

Thanks

James

Original PF had a cockpit in blue and gray color, and after overhaul gotten to the green.Special turquoise color is used due to changes in the lighting of the cabin.