Revell 1:48 Tornado 617 Sqn Anniversary

Radar

One of my colleagues at work commented some weeks ago that she was finding it difficult to find a Desk Model of a Tonka. So in a moment of weakness I volunteered to build one for her. She decided that a 617 Sqn example would be best as she had worked with them in the past, so the search was stared for a suitable kit. Fortunately Revell had just released their 1:48 GR Mk. 4 and there was a set of after market decals available for the colourful 617 Sqn Anniversary version so the project began. I had seen a superb desk model on the web (sorry I cannot remember where I found it now possibly on this Forum so whomsoever it is I hope you don't mind me showing a photo of it here).

_57%204.jpg

Just noticed the watermark so all credit to Tom for a great model and my inspiration.

So here is the Sprue shots at the start of the project:

1.jpg

2.jpg

IMG_3398.jpg

Sorry for starting the build with a moan BUT why o why does Revell insist on listing the colours required in such a crazy way, Insisting on not using the colour's proper name like "Medium Sea Grey" but making up a silly name for it and because several of the required colours are not in their paint range advising percentage mixes of their own stock colours. Come on, this is 2016, If you cannot bring yourself to quote other company's paint numbers then at least use the NATO or RAF name of the colour. In the background of some of the photos you will see the matched Tamiya or GS colours against the letter allocated in the instructions. Rant over.

The first section tackled is the cockpit, the interior detail is pretty good and the ejector seats are finely molded. However no crew members have been provided, another omission that is annoying especially in a model of this size, sometimes we modelers actually want to build a model in flight! So a couple of 1:48 USAF pilot figures were cadged off my brother they should look okay when painted up (I hope).

• Like 1

The cockpit went together pretty well apart from the console decals on the instructions all have the same number (quality control a bit rubbish there). Here is the completed cockpit tub and seats mounted on the fuselage floor.

6.jpg

The engine ducts were painted with Tamiya white primer which has the right finish for the ducts.

The top of the ducts were then attached and the sides built up a round it. It all feels a bit flimsy at this stage as I followed Melchett's advice and did not glue the rear of the cockpit tub to the engine ducts so that the intakes can be fettled easily later. A sliver of filler was needed on the side joints to cover up a slightly gaping joint.

10.jpg

See what I mean about the Tamiya jars in the background. The engine bay has been sprayed gunmetal and the sides of the nose have been added. i managed to knock off the tiny aerial just in front of the cockpit on the centre line but it doesn't matter as it should be offset to starboard.

9.jpg

7.jpg

Well that's as far as I have got today, so far I would say it's a nice model but not for the feint hearted!

More in a few days

Ian

• Like 4

This thing about lack of pilots really bugs me, you don't always want them but it's nice to have the choice. There is nothing worse than an in-flight with no crew.

Luckily my last few builds were of Battle of Brittain aircraft used by RN pilots. I used the Airfix 1/48 new tools kits. They do have pilots so I now have a couple spare. At least one is ear marked for an in-flight Typhoon Ib project.

• Like 1

Thanks Borman for the links but it looks that I might be able to use a couple of pilot figures that my Brother has sent me.

Well this build is turning out to be a tricky one. Firstly this is obviously not a new kit, I suppose Revell has sold thousands of the German IDS version of this kit and just popped the bits in the box that we need for a GR Mk.4 (eventually). Boy does it show! I am gobsmacked how much flash there is on the parts of this kit and injector pin circles with their own flash too. Also I think the instructions are appalling, some of the sprue part no's are incorrect on the instructions causing me to think I was going mad at times looking for parts on one sprue letter when they were on another. They are also not very clear and darn-right misleading in parts - more of which later.

So here we are with the fuselage top on, notice how I have missed the step to fit the interior of the airbrakes which caused fit problems later.

10A.jpg

Also the air intakes were an absolute nightmare to fit (no I didn't glue the rear of the cockpit tub to the intake assembly either). Both sides and bottoms required filler and lots of rubbing down, goodbye to the surface detail! Have the sharp eyed among you spotted the mistake on the wings yet?

15.jpg

A dry fit of the engines which don't click in or locate very well, I'm trying to figure out if I can put the fin on and still be able to remove the jet pipes for ease of painting later. The air brakes have also now been fitted as have the U/C doors. None fitted particularly well meaning I had to reach for the Squadron Putty and sanding sticks yet again.

16.jpg

The flaps and spoilers have now been fitted, something looked odd. On the upper surface of the flaps there were channels between the flaps that I don't think should be there. When removing the wings from the sprues I had followed the "Flaps Up" option on the instructions see below.

21.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure that shows that the flap rails should be cut off at this stage. So I did, much to my regret. Hence the empty channels on the wing upper surfaces aaarrgggh.

I really am not enjoying this but .....I've started so I'll finish.

19.jpg

This is where we are now, I suppose it looks like a Tonka 4 but for a brand new kit I'm very disappointed I don't think Revell QC'd this kit very effectively at all and I just hope their new Shack kit I have just bought has a lot more QC applied to it and that it goes together better than this!

The instruction tell you to remove the screw jacks not the nibs/fingers that slot into the retracted flaps. I love the Tornado subject so had no real problems, but many have made big mistakes assembling this kit.

Keep it coming, your make some progress.

Shaun.

Several more hours spent on the Tonka today.

Firstly the flap gaps were addressed, some thin plastic card strip was found in the bits box cut to length and glued in place, now that looks better:

29.jpg

As you can see more rubbing down on the airbrakes was required to get a smooth joint and the vertical fin has been attached permanently, again it has a horrible joint with the fuselage top spine- more rubbing down.

Next the aircrew were painted I think they may be generic NATO figures so a little artistic licence was taken with the helmets and visors.

24.jpg

An attempt was made at 617 Sqn patches on the left arms but the eyes aren't what they were. The front part of the cockpit glazing has been glued in place but the main canopy has just been dry fitted to keep the dust out for now as there are mirrors and side pipes to be glued inside yet.

23.jpg

Not a great deal to show for about 6 hours work really!

26.jpg

I've still managed to keep the wings swinging though.

28.jpg

Back to work for a rest for a few days now. I'm having real trouble finding a reasonably priced 7 inch long oval plinth for this beastie, does anyone know the web address of the chap who sells bases MDF at Telford every year please?

Thanks for looking.

Ian

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

After several months on the shelf, work has re-commenced on the Anniversary Tonka. She has now been now been substantially painted, I tried to get tonal differences with various panels as per photos by lightning and darkening the Tamiya Medium Sea Grey but it doesn't appear to be as stark and clear as I'd hoped for!

after%20paint.jpgtrans

And here she is again after 2 solid hours of decaling. Flippin eck were those fin markings fiddly, they'll need to be touched up before weathering. Lots more hours of transfers to do yet though.

2hrs%20of%20d.jpg

Thanks for looking

Ian

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

At last I've made some progress with this build.  I'm in  the home stretch now, just the decaling of the underwing stores and the attachment of a few probes and aerials to go.

33.jpg

32.jpg

IMG_4800_1.jpg

Thanks for looking

Ian

• Like 7

Great, you have finished this Tornado. I have to agree with you on the very strange instructions. I've started this one but still have to get my mind set to it and finish it.

Any way you have build a great Tornado and a very nice stand.

Jan Remco