It's pink! SAS Pink Panther.***FINISHED***

HL-10

As my Tiger is nearly done, I'm about to start my next project:

100_6014.jpg

free upload pictures

The kit is not bad for it's age but the addition of the Legend & Eduard set will definitely take it to the next level.

Also it was going to be done as a stand alone project when I found these:

100_6016.jpg

free upload image

Never seen "Tank" figures before, and if these two hombres are anything to go by I will definitely be getting some more!

• Like 6

Very nice project my friend.

I have one Pink Panther too, but italeri, with the same accessories, minus the figures, today with started assembly.

Looking forward your.project, so I can learn with you.

Cheers

• Like 1

The figure on the right has got the tash about right, reminds me of an old aquaitance "Raggy tash". SLR's Never carried by the carrying handle so always folded down.

They've definitely got the 70's hair style and tashes right.

The SLRs have been copied from the Italeri weapons set which have the carrying handle out, so I will be modifying them to show them folded.

The project was underway when I spotted the figures, I was planning to modify some other figures, but these guys have saved me the trouble :)

• Like 1

Watching this .ive several of these in my stash and coincidently I've just ordered the figures too .as you say the carry handle should be folded but an easy fix so no dramas .still awaiting the figure arrival but the pictures look good.

Terry

Ok, so work has begun.

This is the contents of the Legend set:

100_6032.jpg

image url upload

Loads of resin! Some etch, wire, chain and cord.

The "instructions" are a double sided A4 sheet with colour photos.

Luckily I have an Airfix Model World magazine with a build article in it that is very helpful.

First thing is to chop out the kit's grill and replace it with Legend's etch one:

100_6026.jpg

photo share

Two strips of plastic card added behind helps reinforce the etch:

100_6028.jpg

forum image hosting

I also followed the lead in the magazine and trimmed down the kit grill and placed it behind the etch to act as a backing.

I was planning to grind out the resin head lamps to add lenses, but they are too shallow and I would have to drill out the etch part to.

Next was to chop off the jerry can racks and the driver and co-driver's seats to make way for the resin replacements:

100_6033.jpg

click image upload

In between time I have been working on the two beautiful crew figures from Tank.

They are really well posed and the detail is exquisite!

100_6019.jpg

free image uploading

100_6021.jpg

upload images free

100_6022.jpg

upload pictures free

100_6023.jpg

jpg images

Love the shaggy hair and gringo moustaches, all very 70s! :)

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

Figures look great, need more water bottle pouches on the belts though that's all that was available before modern webbing and chest rigs. God we were a poor ill equipped Army.

Looking forward to see the Rover coming together.

• Like 1

The figure on the right has got the tash about right, reminds me of an old aquaitance "Raggy tash". SLR's Never carried by the carrying handle so always folded down.

and he's got a sling on. Wooden furniture is nice though. and he's got a kidney pouch on!!!!! and what is that belt the other lad has got on all about? and a septic water bottle. and he's kept his ammo pouches instead of ditching them for water bottle pouches. He needs to get his belt kit sorted the wus.

Nice casts though and the paint job is looking nice on them.

Cant wait to see the Pinkie unfold

and he's got a sling on. Wooden furniture is nice though. and he's got a kidney pouch on!!!!! and what is that belt the other lad has got on all about? and a septic water bottle. and he's kept his ammo pouches instead of ditching them for water bottle pouches. He needs to get his belt kit sorted the wus.

Nice casts though and the paint job is looking nice on them.

Cant wait to see the Pinkie unfold

That's a 44 pattern water bottle pouch Si , really nice and really sought after during my time,

Great bit of kit to have :) I really sound like a spotter :(

Dan

• Like 1

That's a 44 pattern water bottle pouch Si , really nice and really sought after during my time,

Great bit of kit to have :) I really sound like a spotter :(

Dan

you do, but you didn't point out he'd ditched the metal bottle for his black placky one, so not that sad!!

Ok, the front end has been put together.

The fit of this kit is spot on, but that's Tamiya for you!

100_6035.jpg

image upload no size limit

100_6036.jpg

image hosting without account

100_6037.jpg

image url

I've also put the smoke grenade launchers together.

Five etched parts and three resin parts X4, plus 3 short lengths of lead wire.

100_6038.jpg

take a screenshot

The instructions that come with the Legends set is not very clear, so it was a case of studying all available pictures of the parts in the Airfix article.

Moving on to the weapon mounts.

Pink Panthers had two General Purpose Machine Guns, GPMGs, or "Gimpies" mounted on them.

One next to the driver, and one on the rear deck.

Legend provides parts to update the kit parts, but again due to unclear instructions the build of these parts is very frustrating.

The plans make no mention of how to modify the kit parts to accept the resin pieces, so a lot of trial and error was required.

Front mount:

100_6049.jpg

how to screenshot on windows

Rear mount:

100_6047.jpg

upload image online

On to the GPMGs. Legend's guns are not very well detailed, and they appear damaged/short cast.

So I got hold of some of these:

100_6050.jpg

how to capture screen

Live Resin(bottom)compared to Legend(top):

100_6042.jpg

image hosting over 2mb

The Live Resin Gimpies have the modern style butts so I grafted the Legend ones onto them:

100_6052.jpg

image search

I think I might tackle the suspension now as its straight from the box and will give me a break from trying to fathom out Legend's "instruction sheet"! :)

The live resin GPMG's are really good , my Legend Land Rover set has the exact same

Issues with the guns as your set fella, shame as the rest of the set is really well done.

I'll be following along on this build as I'll be doing my build soon

Dan

• Like 1

Suspension assembled and more work on the resin updates.

I've added the three spot lights. Lead wire was used for the power lines:

100_6053.jpg

image free hosting

100_6055.jpg

free upload image

Other parts added to the front:

100_6058.jpg

free adult image hosting

Including the holsters for the SLRs.

100_6059.jpg

screenshot windows

Now as one of the figures I am going to place with the vehicle is holding his rifle, I wanted to modify one of the holsters to show it empty.

I chopped off the rifle butt and its dust cover and with some Tamiya tape and lead foil I replicated an empty cover:

100_6061.jpg

upload picture

Thanks for looking :)

• Like 4

Tackling some of the finer details.

The tripod carried on the vehicle's wing has had a refined mounting bracket added from etch with retaining straps made from tape and etch.

100_6075.jpg

image hosting

I've started to use the Eduard etch set.

They provide a number of refinements, such as the non slip plates in the foot wells:

100_6077.jpg

image posting

And the tarpaulin tie down hooks:

100_6078.jpg

upload a gif

Along with other fixtures & fittings:

100_6080.jpg

image hosting

And replacement sand trays that need folding and shaping:

100_6081.jpg

gifs upload

I also attached the large lump of resin on the back: