Revell C-54D Skymaster

Thank you all for the very kind words & encouragement. The NMF was Alclad II polished aluminum. I've had best results spraying the Alclad over a base of ModelMaster gloss black enamel thinned with mineral spirits and allowing it to fully cure/ harden for at least 1 - 2 weeks. I had planned to mask and spray various panel areas in lighter or darker Alclad but the masking required for the non-NMF areas burned me out on doing additional masking. Here's a funny masking shot below I took late in the build after realizing I should have painted and masked over them before spraying the Alclad - problem solving & learning all part of the fun of scale modeling!

20160319_161122_zpscbj0iete.jpg

I did have fit problems between the engines and nacelles which required trimming of the inner annular flanges within the rear of each nacelle to get everything to fit. The landing gear was more troubling for me, particularly fiddly in merging the plastic pieces with white metal after market struts. This is a large and fairly hefty model and I didn't trust the kit supplied styrene struts although I've read on another build that they end up pretty sturdy. I also wouldn't recommend sweating the cockpit/ cabin - you can't see a thing inside when its assembled !!! The civil DC-4 version planned for release later this year might be be a good one to incorporate some LED lighting within the cabin.

Next build for me is the new Zvezda 1/48 Pe-2 with really nice moldings, high part count and one open panel engine option. I look forward to going back to the ease and forgiveness of flat Tamiya acrylic!

John

• Like 1

Very nice looking one. I am waiting for some more modest WWII painting scheme like overall NMF - that will be even more challanging...

Regards

J-W

Hello,John - My full compliments to you on a beautifully built and finished 'Skymaster'.The quality of the paint finish,the colourful scheme along with the clean classical appearance make this a truly resplendent model.I love it. ;) All the best,Paul.

Woohoo!! I did see this via my thread in 'Chat' linked to LSP. Lovely finish.... I shall be using that Alclad soon on something else and I'd love it if I can get the same results!

Thank you all for the very kind words & encouragement. The NMF was Alclad II polished aluminum. I've had best results spraying the Alclad over a base of ModelMaster gloss black enamel thinned with mineral spirits and allowing it to fully cure/ harden for at least 1 - 2 weeks. I had planned to mask and spray various panel areas in lighter or darker Alclad but the masking required for the non-NMF areas burned me out on doing additional masking. Here's a funny masking shot below I took late in the build after realizing I should have painted and masked over them before spraying the Alclad - problem solving & learning all part of the fun of scale modeling!

20160319_161122_zpscbj0iete.jpg

I did have fit problems between the engines and nacelles which required trimming of the inner annular flanges within the rear of each nacelle to get everything to fit. The landing gear was more troubling for me, particularly fiddly in merging the plastic pieces with white metal after market struts. This is a large and fairly hefty model and I didn't trust the kit supplied styrene struts although I've read on another build that they end up pretty sturdy. I also wouldn't recommend sweating the cockpit/ cabin - you can't see a thing inside when its assembled !!! The civil DC-4 version planned for release later this year might be be a good one to incorporate some LED lighting within the cabin.

Next build for me is the new Zvezda 1/48 Pe-2 with really nice moldings, high part count and one open panel engine option. I look forward to going back to the ease and forgiveness of flat Tamiya acrylic!

John

Thanks for the insight into your fabulous build John and a very interesting point about which gloss black primer you've used and the length of curing, that's a very noteworthy tip - much appreciated!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kev :)

Hi

An abolute gem of that kit. Beautifully built and finished. I have started mine, but it is still in the pipeline... so to speak ;-)

At Intermodellbau last week I took a photo of the civil version at the Revell display. A lot of liveries will be possible. The decal makers will have a great time.

https://www.facebook.com/IPMSDK/photos/ms.c.eJxF0NkRAyEMA9COMrYAH~;03lqy1Ip8PZDG4DDieFifRKz81ju62QPrrtIXVYVvOx6eVz6DreuZD~_cL46L4W83497~_Pm2V~;qr6LjevLer3vTSz40ruf9fWiY0Sb79OeSQUNmn~;098~_v28f9Rcj~;56r~_Zf~;8LN~_a3vOceIbMf6vdgn~_Z~;B4~_1D4D7db0H7vf4F~;eMYNU~-.bps.a.802251696572938.1073741855.157369931061121/802251706572937/?type=3&theater

Flemming

Hello John,

In regards to your C-54 boarding ladder±

I was trying to find modelua.com. But was not able to do so.

Would you be able to give me some more info regarding this Russian site.

Regards,

Orion.