Kitty Hawk's 1/48th Scale Su-22M-3 & M-4

sharkmouth

3 minutes ago, Laurent said:

I know someone who owns both KH and HB kits. The windscreen and canopy are not the only accuracy issues...

I feel the aftermarkets for KH pay more than the kit . And just to repair basic faults.

3 minutes ago, Laurent said:

The windscreen and canopy are not the only accuracy issues...

:analintruder: Monsieur Laurent...!!!

I'm yet to see a build thread on the Hobby Boss 1/48 Su-17 Fitter kit, so I ain't familiar with that one kit; would you please elaborate on the issues present in the HB kit?

12 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:analintruder: Monsieur Laurent...!!!

I'm yet to see a build thread on the Hobby Boss 1/48 Su-17 Fitter kit, so I ain't familiar with that one kit; would you please elaborate on the issues present in the HB kit?

HB fuselage is shorter and its cross-section is squarish apparently. 

24 minutes ago, Laurent said:

HB fuselage is shorter and its cross-section is squarish apparently. 

Interesting. Russian modelers rate it positively :hmmm:

11 hours ago, harvy5 said:

Interesting. Russian modelers rate it positively :hmmm:

Do you have links ? The Scalemodels.ru HB Su-17 topic has not been updated since beginning of April.

Edited by Laurent

New boxing - ref. KH80146 - release expected in July 2017.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1457628524289429&id=736521713066784

Hungarian AF used M3 not M4.
Fitter features different engine and rear fuselage section, no air scoop on vertical fin base, the box art includes an M4 in Hungarian disguise. Why?

I don't know what to say...

18671430-1457628524289429-42719145411503

18588660-1457629410956007-56008045137212

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Nice selection of schemes. The current release has the option of the fin fillet without the intake so I'm sure this one will to, they've obviously just used the same side profile to display all the markings. Wonder if it will contain a new rear fuselage for an M3 as per the break down of the parts?! 

Currently building the first release lease of this kit and I'll buy this one too.

Muzz

21 hours ago, Homebee said:

No automatic alt text available.

V.P.

I don think they know what they are doing!!!! :wall: :wall: :wall: 

The Hungarian Air Force never had the M4 with the intake on top of the back! I am 100000% sure of this having seen and photographed them taken apart during overhaul. This is simply stupid! The person doing the artwork / research has absolutely no knowledge of the subject!

As far as I know Vietnam also had the M3 version but someone with better knowledge of them should step in.

Best regards

Gabor

20 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

I don think they know what they are doing!!!! :wall: :wall: :wall: 

The Hungarian Air Force never had the M4 with the intake on top of the back! I am 100000% sure of this having seen and photographed them taken apart during overhaul. This is simply stupid! The person doing the artwork / research has absolutely no knowledge of the subject!

As far as I know Vietnam also had the M3 version but someone with better knowledge of them should step in.

Best regards

Gabor

And so I guess we can be  pretty sure they won't bring any correction to this  banana ( and saying this I am not kind to bananas that I really like ! )

Where are you AMK, GWH, etc... I am more and more convinced that by buying this kind of products we are killing the serious kit makers. 

Just my 2 cents.

Madcop  :worry:

• Like 1

:blink2: Forget about the banana-shaped underbelly; they'll provide you with the same aft fuselage that they did on the Su-17 kit? That's totally unacceptable...

Nice German markings, tho. Me likes!

19 minutes ago, madcop said:

Where are you AMK, GWH, etc... I am more and more convinced that by buying this kind of products we are killing the serious kit makers. 

AMK? :giggle: They will sure promise you to release the Mother-Of-All Fitters, but perhaps in 2052 (and provided they reached the 15.000-unit pre-order quota first).

Great Wall Hobby I'd be a LOT more happy about.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I don think they know what they are doing!!!! :wall: :wall: :wall: ... The person doing the artwork / research has absolutely no knowledge of the subject!

Yes they don't know what they're doing. Yes the person has no knowledge of the subject. Now how could a project manager that jumps from French to American then Soviet aircrafts could have expertise on all type of subjects ? It's not possible. The job of a project manager is to identify contributors, agregate reference material provided and in the process hopefully learn about the subject. Contributors are just used to provide material while they should also provide feedback during design of everything (CAD, decals, instructions, box art, everything); it may be because the project manager doesn't provide material for review or because the contributors cannot communicate in an intelligible manner  with the project manager what's wrong. Also the project manager may not be able to control the work of all his ressources (CAD designer, technical writer, decal designer, toolshop).

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Just google "Su-22 Vietnam". You'll see plenty of M4 pics :)

Edited by Laurent
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

:huh: Well, I'm certainly aware of the differences between a Su-17 and a Su-22 in real life, but by the look of the sprue layout, this kit is exactly the same as the Su-17 kit I've purchased some months ago.

So, what's different about this new release with regard to the previous one, just the decal option?

It looks like KH haven't even bothered to correct the banana-shaped underbelly!

Mum... Mum!

4 hours ago, Homebee said:

A very interesting dry fit on Modelling News for those who intend to build the Kittyhawk Su-17/-33M3/M4

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2017/10/gary-dry-fits-fitter-in-his-review-of.html

V.P.

Yup...

All Su-17/22M variants (M, M2, M3 and M4) were fitted with the Lyulka AL-21F-3 power-plant.

Houston, we have a problem.

S.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Homebee said:

A very interesting dry fit on Modelling News for those who intend to build the Kittyhawk Su-17/-33M3/M4

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2017/10/gary-dry-fits-fitter-in-his-review-of.html

V.P.

A well researched, written and fair review. Although it has missed an issue I found which is almost as big a problem as the shockcone, there isn’t enough complete pylons in the kit to portray an operational load. I had to use pylon adaptors from the KP kit to finish mine.

On 10/27/2017 at 11:18 AM, Muzz said:

Although it has missed an issue I found which is almost as big a problem as the shockcone, there isn’t enough complete pylons in the kit to portray an operational load. I had to use pylon adaptors from the KP kit to finish mine.

Yeh, and no banana has ever been addressed, either. 

Hi, Muzz! :bye: There's this old, instrumental song I ain't able to find, which bridge went, "It's worked so far but we're not out yet?

Do you know the name of this song, or what band it belongs to? My Sheila has been playing it on a loop during all weekend and I'm falling apart! It's nothing like my Metal.

On 10/27/2017 at 5:23 PM, ICMF said:

MoFo, do you know why Hobby Elements decided not to make their 10cm/15cm-long Section Tracers any longer? They only offer a 7cm-long one. Go try use that on the 1/48 Aeroclub Vulcan, for instance...

Cheers,

Unc2

Edited by Uncle Uncool
Something on my way I trampled with.

• 2 weeks later...

CWS underfuselage correction set.

Source: https://scontent.fbru2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/23509170_1854903974524541_1548269827595325543_o.jpg?oh=c72514bd8a91eb2847ad744609198f17&oe=5AA3EB09

The Su-17/22 M3/M4 corrected belly for the Kitty Hawk's kit in 1/48 scale started to arrive. It will be available end of next week as I am going to visit Telford this year. Just 3 quick pictures to see how it fits the kit.

Belly.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 2 weeks later...