Kitty Hawk's 1/48th Scale Su-22M-3 & M-4

sharkmouth

I know the costs would be too high Gabor just wishful thinking on my part.

If I had good knowledge I would freely give it, but I don't and any research I do would just emulate mistakes others had made before.

How would someone go about getting the correct drawings? Would it be trying to get them from Sukhoi?

I understand what you say.

It all depends on the AMOUNT OF KNOWLEDGE, the amount of research and search one needs to do in his own photo archive and refferences and what it takes to transform all this into information digestable for the CAD designer. A full contribution of this sort can take weeks of full time (daily 8-12 hours) work!!!!

So there is a difference of having SOME information, few photos from a show or a museum or a book and if you have 40 years of photo archive and a big library.

If there is a single and fairly simple question there is no problem in responding to it and providing what is needed. But a "full contribution" is something different! Would you give up your full time work, take out a holiday and spend weeks in detail research and give it all to someone who is making a lot of money using your input?

About drawings there are several techniques (see what Airfix is doing but there are more traditional ways to do it too) to make them without contacting the designers. It takes time, hell of a lot of work and lots of money on the way.

Best regards

Gabor

I would much rather see them take the $5000 or so it will cost to make tooling for the engine and spend it on a flight to a museum with one of these aircraft on display. I hope they don't "Mig-25" this one and use a Yefim Gordon book and a set of bootleg drawings as their only reference material.

Unfortunately most kit manufacturers don’t like spending money on research /development but LOVE the sound of the cash machine when they sell the kits! It is far easier and lot, Lot, LOT cheaper to use some dubious scale drawings and few internet/google photos to produce the “masters” for the next kit.

Best regards

Gabor

Wow, that sounds just like Trumpeter & HobbyBoss! :evil_laugh:

Larry

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

:partytime:

Just remember the serious shape errors from the recent KH's F2H-2 Banshee kit and keep my fingers crossed as the Su-17/-22M-3 & M-4 variants are "subtly" different (rear fuselage, tail etc.). I really like the "Fitter" an impressive as big fighter-bomber I first saw and photographed in the early nineties in eastern Germany on the LSK/LV storage park at Rostock-Laage and active at Gross-Dölln/Templin with Soviet/Russian 20.GvAPIB (http://www.16va.be/3.3_appui_tactique_part3.html). Good old memories.

14639717_1249200848465532_63082381402052

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

Yes, you're right ReccePhreak. The distinctive KKR-1/-2 pod and SPS-141 jammer pod where in the 1st KH's CADs.

13010825_1108531309199154_22180513330951

Source: http://www.jetwashaviationphotos.com/Pages/PolishAirForce2008.aspx

Swidwin%20(2)%207-5-08.jpg

Source: http://fineartamerica.com/products/a-russian-sps-141-jamming-pod-mounted-timm-ziegenthaler-metal-print.html

a-russian-sps-141-jamming-pod-mounted-timm-ziegenthaler.jpg

Let's have a look at the IRIAF (ex-Iraqi) Su-22M-4... with, in the 2nd picture, a Mirage like in flight refuelling probe!

http://elhangardetj.blogspot.be/2016/10/su-22m4-iranies-en-servicio.html

IRAN%2BSU-22M4%2B1.jpg IRAN%2BSU-22M4%2B2.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Homebee said:

:partytime:

Just remember the serious shape errors from the recent KH's F2H-2 Banshee kit and keep my fingers crossed as the Su-17/-22M-3 & M-4 variants are subtly different (rear fuselage, tail etc.).

V.P.

take care here.... only the SU-22M3 has a different rear fuselage! (as well as Su-22M, and M2) and the difference is not really subtle at all ;)

all Soviet Su-17 M3s have the same engine as the M4

the tail is different between M3/M4 that the M4 has an additional air inlet for a heat exchanger on the fin root.

it is just that most of the interesting Su-22 schemes are M/ M2 / M2.... (Peru, Hungary, Iraq, Lybia) :(

On 28/10/2016 at 11:11, Homebee said:

Yes, you're right ReccePhreak. The distinctive KKR-1/-2 pod and SPS-141 jammer pod where in the 1st KH's CADs.

Source: http://www.jetwashaviationphotos.com/Pages/PolishAirForce2008.aspx

Source: http://fineartamerica.com/products/a-russian-sps-141-jamming-pod-mounted-timm-ziegenthaler-metal-print.html

Let's have a look at the IRIAF (ex-Iraqi) Su-22M-4... with, in the 2nd picture, a Mirage like in flight refuelling probe!

http://elhangardetj.blogspot.be/2016/10/su-22m4-iranies-en-servicio.html

V.P.

Maybe it's just me, but I really like planes that are "Ugly, but well hung". :wicked:

Larry

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ReccePhreak said:

Maybe it's just me, but I really like planes that are "Ugly, but well hung". :wicked:

Larry

Then you should be delighted with this one! Without looking, I'm pretty sure the recce bits (of sorts...?) are in the Kopro kit. Which I'll probably hide somewhere when this one comes over the hill. :blink:

16 minutes ago, AngstROM said:

Then you should be delighted with this one! Without looking, I'm pretty sure the recce bits (of sorts...?) are in the Kopro kit. Which I'll probably hide somewhere when this one comes over the hill. :blink:

They are in the Kopro kit (which I have had for years), but I am not trashing the kit YET.

It all depends on what I can afford, since I am "destitute" and "Over The Hill" myself. :clif:

Larry

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ReccePhreak said:

They are in the Kopro kit (which I have had for years), but I am not trashing the kit YET.

It all depends on what I can afford, since I am "destitute" and "Over The Hill" myself. :clif:

Larry

Yeah, I know the feeling...certainly too far gone to try getting anything in the Kopro box to jive up with anything else; I won't live long enough!

Grrrrrrrrr Just finished getting the bits for the KP/Eduard kit last month so I could start it in the new year  :angrysoapbox.sml:

Oh well will just get one anyway. :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skids said:

Grrrrrrrrr Just finished getting the bits for the KP/Eduard kit last month so I could start it in the new year  :angrysoapbox.sml:

Oh well will just get one anyway. :D

I am sure you cant decide on a scheme, airforce, timeframe and loadout.... so you need probably more than one anyways :devil:

• Like 2