A-wing fighter to feature in Star Wars VIII

murfv

For those that are interested in such things, I have just seen an article on the BBC web site with some behind the sceens that shows a full size A-wing fighter prop for use in the next Star Wars movie(episode VIII, not Rogue One) .

It would appear that Bandai are right on the money with their impending 1/72 A-wing kit, :goodjob:

I for one will be picking one up when it is available

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36073109

• Like 4

Great news!- Bandai really did their homework.

I do hope a B-Wing appears as well- they never could film it right in RofJ and just gave up on it's appearance in the battle scenes but that is a wonderfully bizarre craft to see in a dog fight (according to the Cutaways book the craft Leia shows up in had a recycled B-Wing MkII cockpit at one end so the ship is still out there somewhere...)

Does that photo of the A-Wing have something missing from behind the cockpit?

The back could all be in CGI and lift up/slide back to allow the canopy to open, similar to a car. Im guessing this is an old A-wing, a "hunk of junk" found in an ancient base and hotwired for an escape. It might be a new A-wing, would make sense to evolve it but i would have thought it would look more different if they had.

• 3 weeks later...

A-wing is definitely my favourite, if you've played the recent battlefront game they are wayyy overpowered, still fun though

I remember saying in the cinema whilst watching ep VII "what?! no A-wings" during the battle scenes - I guess the resistance were a bit strapped for cash and couldnt deploy them in those scenes.

I can't wait for that Bandai model to come out, I'm sure that turbolaser base could be used for other things too . . .

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd still like to see a model of the streamlined Clone Wars era Y-Wing. Don't get me wrong, I loved the standard Y-Wing, I've got a FM model of it but the streamlined ones looked nice as well.

Also, a Juggernaut ground vehicle. I always got the impression the A-Wing was a fairly new fighter from the EU material, and the B-Wing was about the newest, but Rebels seems to hint that the A-Wing is far older than first thought, unless it's a very early mark.

• 4 weeks later...

A Y-Wing with it's outer shell would be great, and in keeping with the prequel nature of the film.

I would even settle for one in a hangar background shot- extra points if you have a cussing technician pulling some of the outer hull away and tossing it on the floor!

• Like 1

A Y-Wing with it's outer shell would be great, and in keeping with the prequel nature of the film.

I would even settle for one in a hangar background shot- extra points if you have a cussing technician pulling some of the outer hull away and tossing it on the floor!

That idea is great!

Is there a 1/72 of a "shelled" Y-wing 🤔

I think i just got the idea for a diorama ☺️

P.S.

Do the smileys work?

I am on my phone with the emoji-keyboard

Edited by Levin

you would think that the a-wing would have been developed in a similar manner to the x-wing, with upgrades but it looks pretty similar to the ROTJ one

Maybe, like we have car owners clubs, the SW Universe has the A-Wing owners club for those interested in restoring and showing old A-Wings!!

I'd still like to see a model of the streamlined Clone Wars era Y-Wing. Don't get me wrong, I loved the standard Y-Wing, I've got a FM model of it but the streamlined ones looked nice as well.

Also, a Juggernaut ground vehicle. I always got the impression the A-Wing was a fairly new fighter from the EU material, and the B-Wing was about the newest, but Rebels seems to hint that the A-Wing is far older than first thought, unless it's a very early mark.

Company X did a resin 1:72 scale Clone Wars Y-Wing, got one in the stash.

https://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.cfm/product/2797_40/172-clone-wars-y-wing.html

Cheers,

Warren

There is a nice resin kit in the Starship Modeler store but it is currently out of stock

https://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.cfm/product/2797_40/172-clone-wars-y-wing.html

I think though if you want to do a diorama of a Y-Wing being stripped you could make some custom hull panels based on the design concept then leave a couple on scattered about (so you don't have to worry about everything fitting perfectly) and have a pile of pieces already removed stacked up behind it. I have been thinking about doing something like that with my FineMolds Y-Wing- a kit I really liked unto the Bandai one was released.

• Like 1