Arado 196 A-5, 1944, Revell 1/72 flickr

Hi,

Next "old and odd German" - perhaps not so much odd in this case - Arado 196 A-5 (Fokker build), painting scheme from 4./SAGr 126, Vukovar (Serbia) 1944 following colour profile published in Polish monography of Ar-196 by J.Ledwoch (Militaria, Warsaw, 1997). Vukovar is not on sea - the mashine operated from Danube river.

Kit from Revell/Heller 1/72, a bit modified (for example engraved and some details inside added as well as exhaust pipes missing somehow in original kit! ). Paint RLM 72/73 by Humbrol 243/244 (for the first time I used this new colours). Decals mostly from drawer...

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

ar196 DSC01559ar196 DSC01558ar196 Dsc01535aar196 Dsc01533aar196 Dsc01532aar196 Dsc01530a

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 14

Wow! What a beast!! You've done a great job on that, lovely to see something different!

• Like 1

Hi JERZY!!!!

Nice to have some new produce here to watch from your "JWM Skunk Works".

I have been watching this kit a huge lot of times and have not been feeling at all for this one until I watched your nice rendition well built and painted. ALso have once in my hand an Airfix one but have not had an appeal for it...now for sure will look when have a chance one at the Revell Local Dealer or at the Airfix kit to try do something descent with it. I liked the way the matt paint looks here,...the only thing to make my enthusiasm think is the rigging but looking at your work and the one done by Mario for the P 26 for sure will have two masters which I could aks for the know how of the situation.

Thank you very much for sharing your masterworks here.

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 2

I love floatplanes - this one is great. Nicely rigged too.

Looks like the decals have silvered a little - did you put them directly onto a matt paint?

Thanks Gents for nice comments :)

Looks like the decals have silvered a little - did you put them directly onto a matt paint?

Actually I painted below with Pactra gloss acrylic, but it was not working enough apparently. The decals are really a mix - on fuselage "N" are by Huma, "B" by Revell, crosses on fuselage by Mistercraft, on wings by Revell (FW 190) etc, below all markings by Revell....

Always good to see a build of this particular aircraft Jerzy. A great 'used' look you've achieved on the paint/weathering- can almost see it bobbing on the Danube! Nice work.

Tony

Very neat build! And the riging dots the i.

The Humbrol paints look very matt indeed, not quite the eggshell shine typical of German WW II a/c. Maybe a light coat of semi gloss W&N clear? ;-)

Excellent work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank Gents a lot! Looking on photos (not exactly on model) I had now also feeling that it is too matt a bit, as Joachim said. This was a Vallejo matt coat which I made over new Humbrol (yes Mario - they are 243 and 244). The bottle of varnish was almost empty therfore the matt came out so strong. I will try smooth it a bit in occasion...

Cheers

J-W.

Following suggestion of Joachim (Spitfire 31) I cover model once more with satin varnish and I do hope - it improved a bit result :)

Here it is again:

ar196%20DSC01558_zpsuzu3mid5.jpgar196%20DSC01559_zpsergpfvyd.jpg

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek