Welcome to the Future! The Amtronic

The future ain't what it used to be...

Back in about 1970 or so the year 2000 loomed ahead like a great big looming thing.

Flying cars, space travel, computers, robotic sex sla...

Ahem,

I digress.

Anyway, everyone was predicting what glories the future held.

They were all wrong.

This thing was AMTs stab at the future and while it flies (sort of) and has a spacey sci-fi look about it, it also has four (sometimes six) wheels so I am going to call it an automobile.

This is the most recent re=release of the kit, so it has all the original bits as well as a few more as we shall see.

First the instructions, printed using that futuristic computer punch card font that looks so dated now.

You can practically see the shoulder length hair, paisley shirts and wide ties of the guys who laid this out.

You wonder; "What were these

guys smoking and where can I get some?"

TWpU3o.jpg

mo9eTG.jpg
The clear bits.
Originally the kit was released with the green tinted parts.
Clear parts were used in the millennium release.
I'm thinking some kind of combination.
I'm also thinking that the cabin in this thing must have been greenhouse hot, since apparently none of the windows open.
kJsQvG.jpg
Hmm seems we only get 3 images on a page.
Of course I'm probably doing something wrong... Oh well.
Next!
  • Like 1

Oooh! Shiny bits!

Too bad I'll probably strip 'em all down.

Don't need chrome handlebars or shiny computer panels with this much glass.

Might keep the rims though...

3dQhC4.jpg

Some more futuristic gubbins.

Love the tuck and roll on the seats. Look a bit thinly padded for a car supposed to do 300 mph though.

No seat belts either. Must be an optional extra

8leNS1.jpg

Some bits of bodyshell and the guiderails.

Carrying monocoque construction to an extreme, there seems to be no frame with all parts mounted directly to the shell.

Should be strong enough.

UOzTOY.jpg

Right!

On to the next page!

• Like 2

The "trailer" bits.

More tuck and roll upholstery but still no seatbelts.

Somebody is going to have to ride backwards as well but at least we have onboard television screens!.

This whole thing seems to be less roomy than the average minivan.

Where does the luggage go?!

Let's not even talk about legroom.

'Mom! she's touching me! Am not! Are too!'

Oh wait, mom and dad are in the front cabin which is no doubt sound proofed.

b2Uhkl.jpg

Time for strippers!!

Not that kind you filthy minded buggers!

This kind.

cLYL2E.jpg

Commercial floor stripper in point of facr.

Works wonders on old paint, washes off in water and will even take wax off your floor!

Caution! May dissolve soda bottles!

(ask me how i know this..)

Et Voila!

P4FOIW.jpg

From shiny silver to...umm... olivey green?

Must have used whatever was laying around I guess.

May have to work a bit harder to get the under varnish off but that's what toothbrushes are for right?

Onwards!

• Like 1

I did say I'd keep the wheels right?

They are just so..so.. shiny

JGtEz2.jpg

The tyres are surprisingly well detailed as well.

I suppose it is because Goodyear had a hand in this kit as well.

ZY2Ujc.jpg

DfwVTo.jpg

If my pictures were a little better you could read the engraving.

Okay, that is about enough of that.

Assembly, paint and greeblies lie ahead.

This thing is pretty hollow in spite of the twin jet engines and lift fans so I expect I'll have to make up some thingummies to fill the voids.

With all the clear bits and computer screens I am thinking of lighting it as well.

No headlamps however, does this thing use radar at night?

• Like 1

Sorry guys, I am a slow builder.

I fiddle with this thing while I am at work so a few minutes here and a few minutes there.

If anyone in a position of authority should ask, it's a demonstration... :whistle:

Okay, I have a few bits stuck to other bits, let's see if we can make this work..

Here we have one of THREE engines for this thing. One more of these turbines for the back pod.

The power take off connects through some kind of gearbox to the rear wheels

HXxO8z.jpg

I am currently telling myself I need to replace the plumbing on this thing.

Looking at it it appears to have a crinkle finish on the casing which I am interpreting to be a foil insulation jacket.

I think these things might get a leetle warm.

Did I mention the jet exhaust coming out the back of thing?

Rr5URr.jpg

You may note the driveline connections also power the lifter fan hosed inside the disk at the left.

No sign of any intake ducting for those turbines though. There is a single slit in the roof of the pod to breath through.

Yeah, I'm thinking toasty warm.

There doesn't seem to be any real framing for the body shell so I am going to say it is all aluminium honeycomb panels why not.

9NxwQy.jpg

Where does the luggage go?

It looks like a vast empty space but with fuel tanks and plumbing and retractable running gear and ductwork it'll fill up fast.

The first layer on the shell needs to be insulating.

Aha! :huh:

An impressed aluminium sheet backed by a cellulose composite ought to be just the thing!

naWBPO.jpg

Ciggy wrapper...

Looks the part though doesn't it?

I've been looking at things in the cockpit to use this on. :coolio:

• Like 1

Ah, the 'Runabout' pod.

Two wheels and a nose gear.

Remind me how well the Reliant Robin corners?

Just as well, there doesn't seem to be any provision for steering the thing anyway.

d4gp4W.jpg

Power seems to be generated by the motory looking thing at the blunt end.

The drawings show electric motors on both hubs of the big wheels.

OAzMw7.jpg

The cockpit seems spacious and claustrophobic at the same time. There are no apparent foot controls and it looks as though the seat goes all the way to your heels.

There is however a foot plate. Well, for the driver anyway.

Is that our luggage space? A parcel shelf behind the seats?

Alas no, there is a fuel tank that goes there (?!)

The fuel mileage on this thing would have been heinous, good thing gasoline will still be 40 cents a gallon in the year 2000

5GhAN6.jpg

Safety does not appear to have been a primary concern for this vehicle sadly.

No seat belts for example.

I'm trying without success to envision a restraint system that would even work with these seats.

Oh wait, it's all computer controlled, I saw a tape drive on one of the panels. I'll bet this baby has an 8 bit processor!

Nothing can possibly go worng.....

0sGfa9.jpg

Seating in the back doesn't look all that great either. At least they remembered a Television set to keep the brats occupied

Looks like you could sit on the hard molded plastic center consoles too.

Heck, six adults would be a doddle back there.

We're doing 300 mph right now, Kansas is only 2 hours away!

• Like 1

Well now this is something completely different and can I just say I am glad amt got the look of the current future wrong lol but maybe with Elon musk at the helm with tesla something like this won't be far away.

Great job so far and a properly funny commentary throughout

Shaun

A little something to keep your attention while I work on this thing.

From the info page in the kit:

AMTronic
Futuristic Multi-Duty Vehicle

The vehicle is a daring forecast for the family car of the future, a prediction of possible things to come.

A full-size AMTronic would be 21 feet 8 inches long overall and have a width of 7 feet. The front car would be 9 feet 6 inches long and 54 inches high. The entire vehicle would be slightly larger than a Cadillac 75 Limousine. A considerable portion of the car would be occupied by the power units.

The nose section is a complete two-passenger unit powered by a turbine-driven alternator which powers two electric motors, one in each of the drive wheels. The rear cabin is an add-on four-passenger compartment which also contains the main power supply which drives the complete unit traveling from city to city.

Tires for the AMTronic were designed by the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company expressly for the AMTronic, and are of a revolutionary cross-section and ultra-low profile design. Machined alloy die cast wheels would be used for high strength and light weight.

The body is of monocoque aircraft construction utilizing lightweight alloys and plastics.

When the unit is used as a town car, steering is accomplished by retractable nose wheels which drop down, in aircraft fashion, from the front of the car. When the fore and aft units are joined, the vehicle is driven to the express-chutes powered by both the front car drive wheels and the rear cabin wheels. Steering is then accomplished by both the nose wheels and the front car drive wheels which automatically syncrolock with the nose wheels when the two units are joined.

The transition from a wheeled vehicle to an airborne unit is accomplished when the vehicle enters the express chutes. Lateral control arms, one on each side of the vehicle, extend to make electromagnetic contact With the guard rails on each side of the chute. This automatically actuates the computer control system which takes over control from the vehicle's operator.

As the vehicle gains speed, the ducted fans are engaged, supporting the AMTronic as the wheels retract. Propulsion up to this point has been accomplished by the drive wheels, assisted by the exhaust from the turbojets. The two turbojets now take over, boosting the vehicle to its cruise speed.

As the unit attains cruising speed, it is fed onto the main chute from the entrance chute and electronically synchronized with the vehicles already traveling down the inter-city and inter-state express chutes. At the point, the vehicle is essentially a Hovercraft, driven by the twin turbojets at a cruising speed of approximately 300 MPH.

The guide plates on the vehicle act as position sensors and signal any change required to control pitch and yaw. Traffic information is also fed into the vehicle though the guide plate controlling the speed and braking.

The on-board computer system controls all functions of the vehicle, including environment and entertainment. The computer system functioning in both front and rear unit, would incorporate integrated circuits enabling the use of rather sophisticated hardware in a small space.

For extended trips, the operator would insert a pre-programmed trip card which the computer would analyze along with the current and changing traffic and weather conditions and then offer a choice of several routes. With the choice made, the AMTronic would automatically follow the selected route, making necessary corrections only if emergencies arose. Should the side guide rails lose power, or if the engines default, the computer would take over complete control and execute the best of alternative plans for the emergency.

Position control of the vehicle while on the express-chute is accomplished by nose diaplanes, rear trim tabs and the lift balance between the front ducted fans. The two rear turbojets and coupled to a single trans-axle unit which also powers the rear ducted fan. The front turbine is also ducted to the front ducted fan as well as driving the power alternator.

As the vehicle leaves the main express chute, a signal would actuate section of the guide rail which would allow the vehicle to travel down the exit chute. (While entering and leaving the exit chute, only one guide plate would contact a side rail for a short time, although there would be no actual loss of control.)

The touchdown would be a simple reverse of the entrance procedure, with guiding a speed control being returned tot he operator at the end of the exit chute. Power balance between the front and rear turbines would, of course, be handled by the computer.

The AMTronic, as a complete dual car, could also travel along conventional multi-lane highways under control of the operator. Headlights (which are not used on the express chute)would be high intensity units mounted behind the nose-car intakes. Because of the type of power used, distance between vehicles would be more critical than is the case today. Sending units in the nose would control braking and speed in crowded conditions.

Suspension for normal roads is completely hydraulic and is controlled by the computer and sensing units which read the road surface directly in front of each wheel.

On the roof of the rear cabin is a high-capacity solar energy converter which supplies power to the computer and the energy storage units on a capacitor-type concept, keeping the computer operational in the back section while it is not in use or not parked in its garage or storage area.

The rear passenger section is equipped with all of the sound and visual entertainment equipment of its day. A dual-faced video screen is mounted for comfortable viewing between the passenger seats, and live or taped show could be shown as desired.

The front cockpit incorporates two semi-reclining couches for the operator and the passenger. A direct video readout screen is suspended from the canopy showing a rear view and other critical information to the operator. An overhead console incorporates tachometers for three turbines, fuel supply gauges, and various control switches.

The main control switches of the computer panel are housed in the main console between the front seats. The computer panel incorporates an oscilloscope-type screen for displaying data to the operator for cross checking the vehicle's performance and functions.

Normal steering is controlled by two hand grips extending from the video readout unit.

Fuel for the vehicle could be petroleum-based or a vegatable-chemical derivative, a high-energy combustible liquid that would, of course, be "ultra-clean," leaving no air pollutants in its burnt exhaust.

The front car is entered by raising the entire canopy, which is controlled by the hydraulic system. Entrance to the rear cabin is through hydraulically-operated doors on the sides.

The luggage area is at the front of the rear cabin and is accessible through the doors on the sides on the sides of the "gang plug" connection unit.

At the high air speeds at which the AMTronic operates, automotive "styling" as we know it today, will have to take a back seat to aerodynamic engineering, hence the clean shape and surface of the AMTronic. Such features as flush glass, air intake surfaces, and retractable wheels are necessary to attain good aerodynamics and avoid any critical turbulances which could cause handing problems in what essentially is a wingless aircraft.

The life of such a vehicle would be considerably longer than present-day cars, making its probable initial high purchase price more of a lifetime investment. Low operating cost and minimum maintenance might actually make it much less expensive to own than present-day cars.

The AMTronic continues the AMT tradition of bringing the latest automotive engineering and styling to the model builder.

It all sounds so EASY.

Why am I not driving one of these thing while I post this?!

I did notice they didn't spend a lot of time talking about safety so I must assume that this thing is absolutely fool proof?

Ah well, let's slosh on some paint and get some assembly done!

• 2 weeks later...

Right!

A few more pics but perhaps not a lot of progress...

First a rubberized coating for all the clears bits and bobs.

Liquid latex. Great stuff.

I generally do this for all my transparent parts. They can be left in mask for literally years with no residue, in fact they will take off every bit of fluff, dust or grubby fingerprint you may leave.

At least three layers!

It can be a bit shreddy if it's thinner than the paint you lay on it.

Something I picked up from the RC car guys.

Mc2DwQ.jpg
A turbine engine!
It needs a bit of plumbing don't you think?
I have a bad habit of getting too carried away adding bits which tends to bog me down and I don't finish things.
So... let's plumb this sucker!
Shave molded bits, drill holes..
p7OVTk.jpg
A few bits of wire. A tad rusty I'll admit but use something fresher when I'm done foiling the engine.
0RtXXp.jpg
Speaking of foil.
A dab of Micro Liquid tape and a bit of wrapper later..
It does look the part I think.
Maybe some buttons. Tufting, you know. Upholstery?
Crikey! I'll wind up like Codger and the Pocher gang!
CPijmk.jpg
Ah! Propellers!
I understand propellers!
Ooh! Lookit alla blades!
Spray bomb black, quick mask, spray bomb silver.
Nought to it!
oPBAy5.jpg
Well, I thot I had more pix ready but I must have left them in my other trousers.
I'll try and add some tomorrow, it's getting a skosh late around hear and I must away!
Q
  • Like 1

Well, I may be slow but I AM totally inefficient!

Okay, more pix.

First the front lift fan,

Looks pretty good but I am kind of wondering how much air this thing will have to push to keep a car, (weighing probably at least a ton, even with the lightest of materials available in 2000), in the air?

At the least, it should blow all of the squirrels and 'coons and 'possums off the road before you can hit 'em.

Cleaning the birds out of the air intakes will be daily maintenance. :sick:

u43w15.jpg

It sticks out of the bottom of the car just a smidge.

Intentional? or kit shortfall?

No screen or anything to keep the cat out when you park either.

Geez, the people of the year 2000 just don't care do they? :shrug:

Ofs674.jpg

The back end, where all the heavy lifting happens.

All interior body shell parts will get shot of Tamiya Semi-gloss black right out of the spray bomb just to hide details I don't want anyone to see.

The lower body insulation blanket is in place. I'm still not entirely convinced that you can run two jet engines in this enclosed space with out melting the upholstery.

Oh right, and a fan. The ducting for beast would be a nightmare.

Which is why I'm not going to try to suss it out. :fraidnot:

There is a slot intake on the roof, just behind the solar panel and some kind of grille on the back hatch but that's it for air ingestion.

Okay, so, two jet turbine engines, hooked up to some kind of magic gearbox, which turns the wheels or alternately spins the fan.

Computer controlled so there you go.

Anyway, your robot will be able to fix it when something fails to mesh properly at 150000rpm. :whistle:

ALorNz.jpg
What about that computer? I hear you ask.
Well, most of that 8 bit, 200 kilo, transistorized jewel of modern technology will be located right under your seat.
There isn't any other place to put it really.
Could be a metaphor or something there.
I dunno really. :hmmm:
ANYWAY
The control panel for this little device.
Enough dials sliders and breaker buttons to keep anyone happy.
(Mom, you wanna drive?)
I have considered (am considering, may continue to consider) lighting this model including this little panel (ooh, blinky lights!)
I dunno, maybe if I recast it in clear resin...
:doh:
Do I want to finish this thing?
Probably just some paint and something to highlight the hi-tech reel to reel tape drive memory.
Maybe I need to make a trip punch card?
yeldCV.jpg
That'll have to suffice for right now.
I'll try to get more bits stuck to other bits and then take pictures of the aforementioned bits as soon as I am able.
Toodle pip!
Q
well
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate your patience gentlemen.

A small amount of progress has been made. The advancement of perhaps another hour or so of actual building.

Well, more paint and fettling than any real construction.

So filling of sink marks, a bit of paint sprayed randomly into the air some of which even landed on the model.

So, more pix

Nose gear doors, fan shroud and rear inner doors all fixed in their places. So far everything fits quite nicely without a lot of tweaking.

(I almost said twerking which I assure you you do NOT wish to see)

The front motor is basically assembled and given a quick shot of semi gloss black and an even quicker shot of polished aluminium.

(see that? I know how to spell aluminum.. oh sod, never mind)

Tl0ctd.jpg
A closer, (too close, yikes that looks awful, much better twenty five feet away let me assure you), look at the turbine generator which is somehow connected to both the fan shaft and the individual wheel motors.
It looks a bit lonely and forlorn in there but much space will be filled by the wheel retraction mechanisms I expect.
I could and will probably need to make some electronic boxes to jam in there just to take up space.
The engineering is a bit ...um... well let's just say 'simplified' and be polite about it shall we?
58q0tk.jpg
Ah!
The main control panel again.
A quick dressing with a sanding stick shows a wee bit more detail in this latest image.
I expect I'll just look at a few jetplane panels and whip the odd random colour on it here and there.
Maybe some red "Danger! Do Not push this Button!" warnings and suchlike.
To be frank I have no idea what all these buttons and sliders are meant to do and I suspect the the guys who engraved it had no idea either.
The only thing I am sure of is the reel to reel tape unit.
Maybe it's just the stereo controls.
I wonder if there is an ejection handle. Hmmm.
hFp8Jn.jpg
The center overhead console here.
Well at least there are some bits recognizable as dials.
Lets see, Clock, compass, speedo and fuel gauges?
Durned ef I know. :shrug:
The whole canopy lifts on that end hinge. Probably meant to be powered,
The canopy is massive and would weigh more than granny is gonna lift by herself.
Maybe a bit wobbly, (the canopy, not gran)
I guess we'll find out.
3u6kGA.jpg
Well anyway, so far so good. The doors open and close and fit tolerably well.
Colour me hopeful. :whistle:
  • Like 2

More gubbins! Or the same ones with a bit more colour anyway.

The turbines snuggly wrapped in their little foil jackets like a couple of baked potatoes.

Shot of black, shot of aluminium and a bit of gunmetal before wrapping in BMF actually.

I swear the wrinkly foil is intentional! :innocent:

Just about ready for some fuel lines.

yszN9w.jpg

I thought a little posing might be nice. Just to give an idea what everything is meant to look like I mean.

Lots of silver and black but hey this is the FUTURE!.

Right? I mean, innit?

xXAkPs.jpg

I take solace in the fact that all this will be tucked inside, mostly out of sight except for the nosey bugger that opens up the hatches to look.

b7hq0B.jpg

Tucked just behind the rear passenger seat is HORSEPOWER!

Ever sat two feet away from a jet engine?

The soundproofing will need to be amazing.

Maybe some kind of bulkhead..

Made of kryptonite...

k33Bz6.jpg

And last but certainly least, a quick shot of the seats and upper body in place.

Yeah, gonna need some kind of bulkhead.

Black boxes and fuel tankage.

Hydraulic pumps and retract mechanisms.

Batteries and compressed air bottles, electronic boxes and and and... :frantic:

Dashed if I know what all.

Looks cavernous don't it?

r7nAw0.jpg

Right.

That's about all I got for now but allow me to request suggestions for both interior and exterior colours.

I'm getting tired of black and silver..

Thanks for looking!

Tune in next time for more of

THE FUTURE!!

Q

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
It's been far too long since I posted in my own thread.

I have been hanging around growing fat on the efforts of my betters.

...aaand to be honest about it, i haven't actually done that much to the thing lately.

I shall seek refuge in the "I have had no time for it lately" excuse....

Anyway, some engine pix with sticky outy things that just might be fuel lines and such

Alternately it may be an incredibly low budget Dalek assault team.

5vqOV0.jpg

qqlEO3.jpg

The front engine with the airfilters and mechanical takeoffs to power the front pod.

I'm still not quite sure what this is supposed to be. Some kind of turbine generator I'm sure, but the air intakes would barely serve the needs of an ordinary car let alone some sort of turbine.

Maybe at 300 mph there is a sort of ram air effect going on.

(man these pics are ugly. I can see every seam and grain of paint. It looks MUCH nicer from far away)

ReTagA.jpg

hSHrJo.jpg

Guard rails? No, GUIDE rails.

Efmp3Q.jpg

A quick (some might say too quick) dry brush and a little foil for the tape drives and it looks like crap.

Hmm, well it'll look better further on.

Honestly.

I mean, would I lie to you?

Have I ever lied to you (that you know about)?

Ahem.

Sorry

Now, you think people fiddling with their mobiles is bad, watch out for the moron programming his trip into the computer while he's in the on ramp...

6hw2XT.jpg

Oh, and those aren't ejector pin marks, they are reflectors.

Amazing what you can do with a drop of Tamiya clear orange

Say it with me: "It's not a flaw, it's a feature."

D7D7Rn.jpg

Well not a lot to show but it'll get me back on the first page so I can find the thread without looking too hard.

Thanks for putting up with my maunderings.

Cheers!

• Like 3