AMK 1/48th MiG-31BM Foxhound

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted anything here but hopefully I'll have a few more for anyone intersted in the near future. This is the amazing AMK MiG-31BM version of the mighty Foxhound interceptor. I built this for last month's Airfix Model World and I must thank Martin Wilson for sending me a sample for that purpose. As has been noted elsewhere the kit is incredibly well engineered and an absolute joy to build. Only a few minor omissions were noted but I now think these have been fixed...

Eduard KM-36DM seat details used for ejection seat harness details, (modified for MiG-31),

Airscale Soviet Jets instrument dial set,

Strips of decal sprayed with a mixture of pink/brown to replicate the canopy sealant used,

Dash added to RF code on the fins,

Two small 'stubs' added to each of the outer wing upper surfaces which seem to correspond to the outer pylons

I added.

Little-Lens light lenses in the nose gear door,

Strips of 0.5mm plastic strips to replicate the bracing inside the canopy hoods,

Real mirror strips for the rear crew members periscope and canopy mounted rear view mirrors,

Extra star on the left nose as I couldn't find any images of Blue 93 showing only three as provided in the kit decal sheet,

Canopies tinted with thinned Tamiya Clear Orange/Yellow mixed with 60% Tamiya Clear Gloss to which was added a dash of Tamiya Gold to give a slightly metallic sheen. (In the latest release I believe the canopies come with a tinted option).

I thought I'd go with a gentler weathering as most of the BM photos I have show them in pretty good condition other than the usual muck around the underside engine panels and wear around the black windshield anti glare panels so no washes and heavy pastels, just varying shades of the air-frame grey. Airbrushed using AKAN acrylic paints, (thinned with water),

My sincere thanks to Martin at Coastal Colours for providing all the paints;

Faded Emerald Green Cockpit Interior 73006

Faded Radio Transparent Grey 73010

Faded Grey 73059....

Various Alclad metallics and Bare Metal Foil Chrome for the shiny bits.

U/C and cockpit weathered with AK Interactive washes, AMMO MIG-Jimenez Airplane Engines And Exhausts set (A.MIG 7420), MIG pastel powders and Daler-Rowney oil paints + white spirit on the engine areas.

I must say that personally I found this one of the finest kits I've ever built, everything fitted well, wonderful breakdown of parts and clear, concise instructions and a very comprehensive decal sheet....I highly recommend it to anyone interested in Soviet heavy metal, AMK are fast making a name for themselves up there with and in many cases surpassing the very best, (and no I'm not on commission :winkgrin: )......roll on their Foxbats !

Hope you like it,

Cheers, :cheers:

Melchie

DSC_0234-002_zpsyy9s1yva.jpg

DSC_0231_zpsvgaubtto.jpg

DSC_0469-003_zpsgmrjfzqv.jpg

DSC_0217-001_zps7czraf2s.jpg

DSC_0218-001_zpsnh6fghys.jpg

DSC_0232_zpststvm27x.jpg

DSC_0221-003_zpsddyv9kje.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 56

general melchett, on 18 Apr 2016 - 4:23 PM, said:

Extra star on the left nose as I couldn't find any images of Blue 93 showing only three as provided in the kit decal sheet,

3, 2 and 0 (though zero option is without fin legends)

http://www.airforce.ru/content/attachments/62337d1427144619-v_vorobyov_mig-31bm_93_1500.jpg

http://www.skybird-ev.de/tour/russia/savasleyka/93blue0.jpg

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/Kent1763/media/-31-1_zpsfrhhan3l.jpg.html

Andy :)

Edited by andym

Thanks chaps, appreciated, it really was a fun kit to finish....unlike a few others on the bench !

3, 2 and 0 (though zero option is without fin legends)

Good spot Andy, I couldn't find one at the time but thinking about it to get to four you'd have to get past 3 :doh: This also shows how clean 93 was at the time...

Looking a bit more tired in 2015,

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia---Air/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-31BM/2636077/L/&sid=7d40c9f3790efe398898a41597179d2f

And fitted with a lighter coloured nose cone,

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia---Air/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-31BM/2673948/L/&sid=7d40c9f3790efe398898a41597179d2f

I think if there's one image that really shows the power of the beast it's this one...you can almost feel the thunder...

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia---Air/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-31BM/2482390/L/&sid=7d40c9f3790efe398898a41597179d2f

Wonderful looking Mig General you have done an excellent job,superb weathering and paint.

Guy

• Like 1

I honestly don't know why I haven't got one yet, it is an absolute beast, I think I'm going to get one at MK if I go! I wanted the earlier version but I think I'll just get both...... Lovely build mate, just how long is it?

...email replied to btw! ;)

Edited by Radleigh

Hello,General - I salute you once again for this beautifully built and finished 'Beast from the East'.Truly inspirational work.It was a pleasure to meet you at Cosford Show. :) All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, very kind of you all, I really can't recommend this model highly enough, it almost builds itself. The only area where real care is needed is the undercarriage. My big concern was that the wheels would splay under the weight but so far there have been no problems, (largely due to the way they are engineered with a separate central strut taking most of the load), mind you I store it on a plinth to take the weight off the gear. As per the real thing the wheels should splay out slightly which you would think would only add to the problem but actually it's just right, (as an alternative there's always the SAC metal replacement parts).

Very nice Andy. I read the article in AMW last month and didn't realise that it was your work but I thought it looked fabulous then and nothing has changed - it still does!!

Thanks Kev, appreciate that...most of the credit must go to Sio and the lads at AMK to be fair, we just bung 'em together...

I honestly don't know why I haven't got one yet, it is an absolute beast, I think I'm going to get one at MK if I go! I wanted the earlier version but I think I'll just get both...... Lovely build mate, just how long is it?

Cheers Rad, well if you're able to get there then I'll personally drag you around until we get you one ......as for length it's 48.5 cms, the same as a 1/48th B-17G !... a bit of a beast...

Must admit I'm very tempted with the earlier version too... :coolio:

Hello,General - I salute you once again for this beautifully built and finished 'Beast from the East'.Truly inspirational work.It was a pleasure to meet you at Cosford Show. :) All the very best,Paul.

Hi Paul, thank you, it was indeed good to meet up at the show, hope you enjoyed yourself as much as we did, as you pointed out it's always nice to put faces to the names :winkgrin: .

Melchie

• Like 1