Hello all. Just like several others in this STGB I'll be building the Revell 1/72 Hunter FGA.9. The plan is to build two planes, one in the 1960s colours of the Royal Rhodesian Air Force (Green/Grey over HSS) and one in the early 1980s Zimbabwe AF colours. If things go really well, I might dig up my third copy of my kit from my secondary stash at my parents' home and build a 1970s bird as well (RhAF, Green/Earth over Earth).

There have been a couple of sprue shots, but I don't think anyone has shown them unwrapped yet, so here you go. Those with an encyclopaedic knowledge of third-party decal offerings might recognise the Xtradecal International Hunters sheet,which will be providing the markings.

Hunter-image002_zpspmpu1lrl.jpg

The first painting has started

Hunter-image001_zpsfku6lgs4.jpg

• Like 2

Things are starting to go all Hunter-shaped!

Hunter-image004_zpstklsnjyt.jpg

Hunter-image006_zpsjhpqchko.jpg

Hunter-image005_zpsjoc0vm83.jpg

Haven't needed any filler so far, but a lot of sanding was required to blend the nose-cone and the 'chin' with the rest of the fuselage, so I suspect after priming some spots will appear in need of putty.

• Like 1

I realised I hadn't shown off the gear bays yet, so here you go. Revel Aqua aluminium, with a Vallejo Grey Wash

Hunter-image007_zpsqfmt7d4t.jpg

Assembly is nearly complete, I just need to add the gunsight and canopy, then it's masking and priming time!

Hunter-image008_zps4k1zftx9.jpg

Hunter-image009_zps54ue9xt4.jpg

A touch of filler was needed on the wing-tips. It was my first time using Vallejo putty, which was a joy to work with. Water-soluble too, which makes it really easy to clean up any excess.

Edited by johnny_7713
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The top colours are on too. Gunze Aqueous 75 (Dark Seagray) and 330 (Dark Green). Some minor touch ups needed here and there, and I'm going to brush paint the intake areas. Other than that I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. First time using the new airbrush and compressor I got for my birthday, which replaced the old tank-less Revell compressor I had. It was really nice to be able to keep spraying for more than a second at a burst without the pressure dropping.

I'm still not entirely sure about the Gunze Dark Seagray, it looks a bit purplish for my tastes, but then the pictures I have (the warpaint book mainly) aren't exactly well colour calibrated either.

Helicopter-image014_zpsgqbfva56.jpg

Helicopter-image016_zpsc5vkguby.jpg

Helicopter-image019_zpsrlugzvoc.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great looking pair of Hunters!

In Harare there is one of them displayed on a pole by the side of one of the busiest streets, and it still looks in pretty good nick. But it does not sport the assegais on the roundels, unfortunately!

Keep having fun!

JR.

• 2 weeks later...

Was happy to read about the deadline extension, which means I might actually get at least one of the planes finished. Didn't have much time for modelling lately, and didn't want to do a rush job. But with an extra week (and no plans for next weekend) I might just get the Rhodesian bird done in time.

Some pictures of the progress so far:

Hunter-imate0022_zpsp8lcrwp0.jpg

Hunter-imate0023_zpsuprhnsuy.jpg

Hunter-imate0024_zpsw8cgr3zx.jpg

All decals on, gloss coat and Vallejo wash applied, still an assortment of small bits still to be fitted. The Zim bird is lagging behind, still needing her wheels and a wash.

• Like 2