The black birds of Beale

canberraman

I was recently lucky enough to visit Beale AFB, near Marysville in Northern California. For many years Beale has been the home of the USAF's 9th Reconnaissance Wing - once home to the mighty SR-71, and more recently the U-2 Dragon Lady, and now also the RQ-4 Global Hawk UAV. Also at Beale are a small fleet of T-38A Talons that provide continuity training for the U2 pilots of the 99th RS. Here are a few of the images from that day.

1946A1_zpsgrlupwlk.jpg

A TU-2S twin seat U-S trainer variant on completion of a sortie with a trainee pilot on board.

1952a1_zpsd4y67xmp.jpg

1954a1_zpsfyhyui2d.jpg

The ground crew fit the outer wing pogo wheels to allow the Dragon Lady to taxi back to parking

1976a1_zpscziorwkf.jpg

An older variant of the U-2 is this U-2C that is kept in pristine condition and on display near the Wing HQ.

1960a1_zpsebszygcy.jpg

Also on permanent display is this magnificent SR-71

1968m1_zpszr3zrfpr.jpg

Another view that shows the SR-71 alongside a Lockheed D-21 drone

2015a1_zpsjcd3oy4l.jpg

Pre-flighting a T-38A Talon

1986A1jpg_zpsouyv3lc3.jpg

9th RW flagship T-38

Hope these are of interest. C&C always welcome.

Mark

• Like 15

Great set Mark. Thanks for sharing. Did you get to ride in the chase Mustang?

Thanks for the comments. And yes I did get to ride the chase car but it was a Dodge Charger and not a Mustang!

Mark

Very nice!

How did you wangle that visit? I got in there with a friend back in 1990, when the SRs were still around, but wasn't allowed to take photos. :weep:

Thanks for the comments Paul. I managed the visit through a colleague with contacts at the 9th. Photography was controlled so while the shots shown were OK, the Global Hawk and operational U-2s were off limits.

Mark