1/48 F/A-18F which one

Roof Rat

Good morning all

Give a choice between Hasegawa (any) and Academy (kit 12309 VF-103) which would you go for in 1/48.

I've looked up a couple of reviews of the Academy kit but unfortunately none of them are in English.

Any help, or "pointing in the right direction" will be gratefully received.

RR.

The Academy F is a rebox of the Italeri kit. It's OK but quite basic, decals in the cockpit and weak detailing all over, a lot of which is fictious.

The Hasegawa kit is much better. You will most likely need to add the Bard Stacks to the upper fuselage and the ACS cockpit panel. They were retrofitted to the fleet between 2006-12 so most of the available aftermarket decals will require them. Quickboost do the stacks separately and Steel Beach do the ACS panel. Alternatively you could buy the Growler kit which has both included, leave off the Growler bits and you have a late lot F.

Good morning

First of all I would like to apologise with the delay in replying, I've been away from home on consultancy work.

Just to say thank you Boman and Don Mclntyre for taking the time to reply, and Gary C for your help and advice regarding the use of a EA-18G, I think that's the way I'm going to go.

Thank you all again.

RR.

Yeah how about it ?

I mean, Hasegawa it`s the benchmark, but it`s also 3x times more expensive than Revell

Not if you shop around…….For some reason, Super Bugs don't seem to sell very quickly and I've often seen the Hasegawa kits (which are massively overpriced) going for considerably less. Check out your favourite internet auction site.

Wow ! I just looked at the Rhino 1/48 Hase instructions.

Load wise it comes with 2 x Sidewinders and 2x Amraams.....erm plus fuel tanks

Really Hasegawa, at this price THIS is what you give us ??????????

I would go with the Hasagawa kit. I'm just about finished with mine and I must say it was a great kit to build. I used aftermarket decals and also the hasagawa weapons kit. Here is a pic of mine.0F664323-2D11-4AC8-BABC-4A80D3943786_zps

Just buildt the Hasegawa F/A-18E, and it is a beaut! will substitute the weapons for a couple from a weapons set - mostly because I don't care building rockets from multiple pieces and have more than enough spares.

• 3 weeks later...

Hasegawa Super Bug is incredibly precise and beautiful and his dorsal spine is perfect (from anywhere you look it looks like the real one, I tried to match it with hundreds of photos!)... I'm using the -E kit as a "master" to correct (scale plans in hand) myself the 1/32 Trumpeter kit.

I think it is one of the absolute best models ever made in 1/48 scale.

Edited by LucaP

• 1 month later...

Hallo, Roof Rat,

I have several in 1/72nd scale, both Revell and Hasegawa. I concur with LucaP about the spine: Revell's is too rounded; Hase's has the exact amount of "flatness" to it. I guess in 1/48th scale it will be the same.

What I would be aware is about the heat exchangers in the upper fuselage, engines' area. There are two types, the earlier, which are a sort of squarish holes and the later, which are aptly called "pipe-rack-type". I am sure EF-18G would have the latter. Some Hasegawa boxings (at least in 1/72nd scale) have the early type, some the latter (I guess that it is because the design in the real plane changed in the middle of the kit's production run). Revell's, on the other hand, come with the later design (at least in 1/72nd) Check that.

Fernando