70's NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

Hi @Col.,

I'm afraid I'll have to extract myself from this already enjoyable GB as it is growing ever more likely I will have to dedicate myself to family caregiving in the coming months - well in honesty I have no idea if it is weeks or months or years - but in any case, in order to prevent a build-up of stress I think it's prudent to avoid anything with a deadline attached to it...

Jay

• Like 1

Or you can join in on the build, and just not worry if you make the deadline or not.  ^_^  I'm pretty horrible about building to a deadline myself, but I've found I enjoy the camaraderie of the group builds (haven't done one @ BM yet, but have on another forum)...regardless if I'm successful at completing in time or not.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

Hi @Col.,

I'm afraid I'll have to extract myself from this already enjoyable GB as it is growing ever more likely I will have to dedicate myself to family caregiving in the coming months - well in honesty I have no idea if it is weeks or months or years - but in any case, in order to prevent a build-up of stress I think it's prudent to avoid anything with a deadline attached to it...

Jay

Hello Jay,

Sorry to hear things are taking a different turn for you there. The good thing about this hobby is we can set it aside and dip in or out of it as we get the chance to relax and not provide another source of stress in life. Hope things level out for you soon fella but in the meantime feel free to join in the banter and nonsense whenever you want ;) 

10 hours ago, Col. said:

Hello Jay,

Sorry to hear things are taking a different turn for you there. The good thing about this hobby is we can set it aside and dip in or out of it as we get the chance to relax and not provide another source of stress in life. Hope things level out for you soon fella but in the meantime feel free to join in the banter and nonsense whenever you want ;) 

Cheers Col - and thanks for the invitation too - as @helios16v suggested (thanks for that by the way), maybe I shouldn't think of it in terms of having a deadline so perhaps I'll start anyway and see where it goes :).

Jay

• Like 3

Grim news on the flagon,i have searched high and low for the add ons i have for this kit I've got them some where ,but they aren't in the box,and I'm loath to re purchase these bits namely the resin nose and eduard engine ,wheels and airbrake pe  I'm going up in the loft to see if I've put them in another kit. I've got a safety net if they dont show themselves, a mig 23m  1/48 and would a delta dart in 1/48 be within the remit or are we talking Europe front line,and the new icm mig 25 in 1/48 is a maybe

To satiate my appetite for russian jets I've just orderd the new release of the yak 28 firebar by bobcat in 1/48 , probably won't be here in time for this group build as its got to make its way from hong kong,still the search goes on for the missing resin and pe 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hewy said:

To satiate my appetite for russian jets I've just orderd the new release of the yak 28 firebar by bobcat in 1/48 , probably won't be here in time for this group build as its got to make its way from hong kong,still the search goes on for the missing resin and pe 

A Firebar?  I really wanna see that! :thumbsup:

You might be surprised about when it arrives.  I've ordered stuff from Hong Kong which has got to me in a couple of weeks.  And if it doesn't get here in time you can always build it in the From Russia With Love GB.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

A Firebar?  I really wanna see that! :thumbsup:

You might be surprised about when it arrives.  I've ordered stuff from Hong Kong which has got to me in a couple of weeks.  And if it doesn't get here in time you can always build it in the From Russia With Love GB.  

Yes top idea, i wont be able to help myself,it wont stay on the shelf long I'll wager

Glynn

12 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Yes top idea, i wont be able to help myself,it wont stay on the shelf long I'll wager

You've started me off...   I'm now looking for a suitable kit in 1/72 for the FRWL GB.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

Oooo that sounds very nice!!!! I am very tempted...must resist, for the moment anyway!

But I need to get the OSA-1 out of the way as it's taking up an entire shelf!!

• Like 1

On 19/01/2017 at 7:27 PM, Hewy said:

Grim news on the flagon,i have searched high and low for the add ons i have for this kit I've got them some where ,but they aren't in the box,and I'm loath to re purchase these bits namely the resin nose and eduard engine ,wheels and airbrake pe  I'm going up in the loft to see if I've put them in another kit. I've got a safety net if they dont show themselves, a mig 23m  1/48 and would a delta dart in 1/48 be within the remit or are we talking Europe front line,and the new icm mig 25 in 1/48 is a maybe

22 hours ago, Hewy said:

Sorry to hear the Flagon extras have gone into hiding as I'd have liked to see that one. The MiG-23 or -25 woud both be fine by me as alternatives but alas not the F-102 Delta Dart as it's all front line European theater for this GB please :) 

• Like 1

Hi Col. I hadn't originally signed up for this GB because it's not in my usual modelling time period but I recently came across this kit and thought it looked just the job:

32361117911_0fb33c834d_c.jpg

The detail on it looks very nice and the couple of reviews I have read seem to suggest it's a good kit. It comes with a metal barrel in the box and a small amount of photo-etch - although I'm not sure the PE will be used as it is for something that may not have appeared on these tanks in the 70s. Interestingly the reviews suggested that the rubber band tracks were a weakness of this kit but when I opened the box I discovered that they were nowhere to be seen - instead they have been replaced by two sprues of link & length tracks. The parts diagram in the instructions has the rubber band tracks covered over with some masking tape but there are no instructions for the replacement L&L parts so it could be interesting! I wonder if Modelcollect replaced the band tracks because of the reviews?

Anyway I'm looking forward to taking part if this kit is okay?

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

32361117911_0fb33c834d_c.jpg

:thumbsup:   I have one of those in The Stash, which I might build.  It's a smashing kit.

Or I could build a T-55.  There's just so many choices. :D

To honour the Duel GB, which didn't get through the vote, I'll be building a Chieftain as well.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Col. I hadn't originally signed up for this GB because it's not in my usual modelling time period but I recently came across this kit and thought it looked just the job...

The detail on it looks very nice and the couple of reviews I have read seem to suggest it's a good kit. It comes with a metal barrel in the box and a small amount of photo-etch - although I'm not sure the PE will be used as it is for something that may not have appeared on these tanks in the 70s. Interestingly the reviews suggested that the rubber band tracks were a weakness of this kit but when I opened the box I discovered that they were nowhere to be seen - instead they have been replaced by two sprues of link & length tracks. The parts diagram in the instructions has the rubber band tracks covered over with some masking tape but there are no instructions for the replacement L&L parts so it could be interesting! I wonder if Modelcollect replaced the band tracks because of the reviews?

Anyway I'm looking forward to taking part if this kit is okay?

Kind regards,

Stix

You're most welcome to join in the fun with this one Stix :thumbsup:

I'd also be interested to know if the reviews led Modelcollect to replace the rubber tracks with the plastic ones. Seems there are more companies listening to feedback on their kits now and willing to act upon it. Can only be a good thing for us modellers. As Enzo has often said, we're in a Golden Age at the moment for our hobby.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

:thumbsup:   I have one of those in The Stash, which I might build.  It's a smashing kit.

Or I could build a T-55.  There's just so many choices. :D

To honour the Duel GB, which didn't get through the vote, I'll be building a Chieftain as well.  

You could build your T-64 and we could have a kind of STGB within the GB! I agree - it does look like a smashing kit.

14 hours ago, Col. said:

You're most welcome to join in the fun with this one Stix :thumbsup:

I'd also be interested to know if the reviews led Modelcollect to replace the rubber tracks with the plastic ones. Seems there are more companies listening to feedback on their kits now and willing to act upon it. Can only be a good thing for us modellers. As Enzo has often said, we're in a Golden Age at the moment for our hobby.

Thank you Col. Yeah it would be interesting to know how much influence reviews and modelling feedback on forums such as this has on manufacturers. 

Enzo - how long ago did you get your T-64 kit from Modelcollect? It would be interesting to see if yours has the band tracks or the L&L. The company may have swapped them early on after the reviews.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Arr my big work trip may be on again! I was going to be possibly for 12 weeks was confirmed to be 4 week, now looks like it'll be 7 weeks from the beginning of March. So it will take a big chunk out of this GB, so for the moment (thats if my schedule doesn't change again)  the OSA-1 is off, though I may build her instead for the "Made in Russia" GB.

But I have a back up plan for this GB, something that may be a wee bit quicker to build!  This wee resin beasty...

DSCF4375_zpsnswtcgue.jpg

DSCF4376_zpsqenqgdx2.jpg

I can't actually find when it was withdrawn from service, though in my trusty Jane's Pocket Book 4 - "Modern tanks & Armoured Fighting Vehicles" 1975 ( I got it for a birthday present) has it listed as still being in service with the French army at that time. If someone can confirm or not that would be helpful as she'd be a fun simple build.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Arr my big work trip may be on again! I was going to be possibly for 12 weeks was confirmed to be 4 week, now looks like it'll be 7 weeks from the beginning of March. So it will take a big chunk out of this GB, so for the moment (thats if my schedule doesn't change again)  the OSA-1 is off, though I may build her instead for the "Made in Russia" GB.

But I have a back up plan for this GB, something that may be a wee bit quicker to build!  This wee resin beasty...

DSCF4375_zpsnswtcgue.jpg

DSCF4376_zpsqenqgdx2.jpg

I can't actually find when it was withdrawn from service, though in my trusty Jane's Pocket Book 4 - "Modern tanks & Armoured Fighting Vehicles" 1975 ( I got it for a birthday present) has it listed as still being in service with the French army at that time. If someone can confirm or not that would be helpful as she'd be a fun simple build.  

Cool! Nice choice of subject, a 'richt stoater' as we say in north-east Scotland :D I remember these being based on a pre-WWII design and updated with a larger calibre gun at some point during their service life but if your book says this machine was still in service with French forces during the 70's then that works for me.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2017 at 11:52, PlaStix said:

Enzo - how long ago did you get your T-64 kit from Modelcollect? It would be interesting to see if yours has the band tracks or the L&L. The company may have swapped them early on after the reviews.

I bought two kits (T-64 mod 1972 and T-64 mod 1981) off evilbay a couple of months ago, so I can't say when they were issued.

The Mod 1972 kit has band tracks which are packed in their own little box. The instructions call these "DS tracks".  However, the kit also has sprues with link and length tracks which are not mentioned in the instructions.

The Mod 1981 kit has link and length tracks which again are not mentioned in the instructions.  There are no "DS" tracks.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The Mod 1972 kit has band tracks which are packed in their own little box. The instructions call these "DS tracks".  However, the kit also has sprues with link and length tracks which are not mentioned in the instructions.

Sounds like you got version of the kit when they hadn't decided to abandon the band tracks altogether. Interesting.

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Cool! Nice choice of subject, a 'richt stoater' as we say in north-east Scotland :D I remember these being based on a pre-WWII design and updated with a larger calibre gun at some point during their service life but if your book says this machine was still in service with French forces during the 70's then that works for me.

Cool, I even have managed to find a replacement barrel for the kit part which is warped!

• Like 1

I like that choice Rich. The traction engine wheels on the centre stations really give it that little something extra.

I have been struggling to find a subject but have just found my kit list and I've got a 48th Gannet ASW 1/4 in box K19. Before you all point out the obvious I'd like to make a COD.4 from it which was still in use with AEW Gannets until 1977 at least. There's even shots of one on Sailing IIRC. The markings will be a challenge as the Xtradecal sheet to my right has NO white stencils at all! Complete PITA! :harumpf:

However if this is acceptable I'm in.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I like that choice Rich. The traction engine wheels on the centre stations really give it that little something extra.

I have been struggling to find a subject but have just found my kit list and I've got a 48th Gannet ASW 1/4 in box K19. Before you all point out the obvious I'd like to make a COD.4 from it which was still in use with AEW Gannets until 1977 at least. There's even shots of one on Sailing IIRC. The markings will be a challenge as the Xtradecal sheet to my right has NO white stencils at all! Complete PITA! :harumpf:

However if this is acceptable I'm in.

If you do decide to tackle the COD Gannet I'd be happy to see it in the GB. Although it isn't strictly a front line type they certainly had an important role to perform in the same way many transport types did so will allow it so long as nobody raises objections :) 

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Would the hasegawa a-10a qualify? Or are the decal options from the 80s?

From what I can find out the A-10 first arrived in Europe during early 79 so just makes our era and the Hasegawa kit represents an early A-10 so if you can find suitable decals this one will be a good option.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Col. said:

If you do decide to tackle the COD Gannet I'd be happy to see it in the GB. Although it isn't strictly a front line type they certainly had an important role to perform in the same way many transport types did so will allow it so long as nobody raises objections :) 

From what I can find out the A-10 first arrived in Europe during early 79 so just makes our era and the Hasegawa kit represents an early A-10 so if you can find suitable decals this one will be a good option.

tight margins, ill see if theres decals, finally found the info on whats in box and both are US based examples, i suspect I shall just have to wait and build an a-10 outside the GB, not like I don't already have two subjects planned, also should perhaps do a warsaw pact a/c, theres a thought I had some amazon vouchers left, and they have the trumpy su24m in stock, that might have 70's markings in it 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Hi folk's I'm itching to get a GB build going for this year so combined with wanting to build an Ilyushin "Beagle" for the first time

since drowning Airfix's kit in gloss green paint back in the seventies I have Trumpeter's 1/72 kit which includes Russian and

Polish schemes as both air arms used the type(but not perhaps the variant) beyond the seventies am I eligible?

• Like 1