70's NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

We all having fun gang? Know I am and I'm not even getting a chance to work on my own project so it must be from watching you all work on creating some damned fine models and reading the great banter going on across the various threads.

What I have, however, been doing whilest not working on any of my models is trying think of a plan that will allow us to continue this fun after the GB is finished. So here's some random and not quite fully formed thoughts I'm playing with; how about we all subscribe to a common 'root' thread were we can link to any of our Work In Progress threads for relevent subjects? Now there is a dedicated Cold War section to the forum for both aircraft and armour but perhaps not quite so clear cut in the maritime section and nothing to cover figures so perhaps it will be better to create one for our purposes. We could use this one but it only covers the 70s, the 80s edition was a lot of fun as well, I want to go forward (sic) with 60s and 50s editions in the near future as a 90s edition, so there's an overarching theme of the Cold War in Europe to consider. Can we create a new thread somewhere which we all subscribe to and post a link to our project threads in an unofficial 'Buddy Build'?

• Like 4

Well I've finished two, with a third on the final stetch, now what do I do with myself? Time to choose a new subject, nothing in the stash ell eagle at least out of the box, so think Ill order something, maybe an airfix lightning did a few in 2015, think its time do one again; 

Also would one of the camoed hawks be allowed? 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:32 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Also would one of the camoed hawks be allowed? 

Oh yes :)  Dedicated trainers are not considered Front Line equipment but weapons trainers with a secondary front line role such as the Hawk and Alpha Jet are good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Oh yes :)  Dedicated trainers are not considered Front Line equipment but weapons trainers with a secondary front line role such as the Hawk and Alpha Jet are good.

ace, theres an airfix design-aw hawk boxing in LHS languishing, will pick up some point and combine it with the xtradecal sheets. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

ace, theres an airfix design-aw hawk boxing in LHS languishing, will pick up some point and combine it with the xtradecal sheets. 

Don't forget, your colour scheme is limited to the wrap-around DSG/DG scheme, your Sqn's are 79 and 234, I don't think 63 Sqn's stood up on Hawks until 1980 (but I could be wrong on this). 151 didn't stand up on Hawks until the early 80's.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2017 at 3:10 AM, Col. said:

We all having fun gang? Know I am and I'm not even getting a chance to work on my own project so it must be from watching you all work on creating some damned fine models and reading the great banter going on across the various threads.

What I have, however, been doing whilest not working on any of my models is trying think of a plan that will allow us to continue this fun after the GB is finished. So here's some random and not quite fully formed thoughts I'm playing with; how about we all subscribe to a common 'root' thread were we can link to any of our Work In Progress threads for relevent subjects? Now there is a dedicated Cold War section to the forum for both aircraft and armour but perhaps not quite so clear cut in the maritime section and nothing to cover figures so perhaps it will be better to create one for our purposes. We could use this one but it only covers the 70s, the 80s edition was a lot of fun as well, I want to go forward (sic) with 60s and 50s editions in the near future as a 90s edition, so there's an overarching theme of the Cold War in Europe to consider. Can we create a new thread somewhere which we all subscribe to and post a link to our project threads in an unofficial 'Buddy Build'?

I like the idea, but things can get messy if everyone posts their work into a single thread. Or am I understanding you wrong?

On 24/03/2017 at 6:45 PM, Wez said:

Don't forget, your colour scheme is limited to the wrap-around DSG/DG scheme, your Sqn's are 79 and 234, I don't think 63 Sqn's stood up on Hawks until 1980 (but I could be wrong on this). 151 didn't stand up on Hawks until the early 80's.

Noted and airfix hawk now purchased....now to buy the xtradecals

5 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Noted and airfix hawk now purchased....now to buy the xtradecals

Don't know how much it bothers you but at that time the Hawks used large headbox MB.10's, those in the kit are the smaller type introduced in IIRC, the early 90's, there's a thread on here which discusses it in detail.

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Don't know how much it bothers you but at that time the Hawks used large headbox MB.10's, those in the kit are the smaller type introduced in IIRC, the early 90's, there's a thread on here which discusses it in detail.

nah that sort of thing is of no relavace to me, what is now an issue is theres no gunpod in the kit, and even if I source one how Ill fit it and a stand.....

14 hours ago, SoftScience said:

I like the idea, but things can get messy if everyone posts their work into a single thread. Or am I understanding you wrong?

I was thinking we could post links to our specific seperate threads rather than the progress itself in the master thread :) 

• Like 1

Me again, can anyone point me in the direction of a good paint guide for a wrap around camo hawk, I don't yet have the decal sheet (and even then looks on the small size for the upper and lower surfaces)? 

ed;i: Never mind stumpled access what I was after via a google link which directed me to an older thread on here :)

edit: 2 Also to my horror I've discovered the stencils for the lightning F2A are not identical to the F6 as I had thought, so I reluctantly have to buy the F2A edition of the kit so I have the right stencils, was going to start so that delays things a day

Edited by PhantomBigStu

What's that Stu, you've HAD to buy another Lightning kit? Oh dear, what a shame, never mind :D 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Col. said:

What's that Stu, you've HAD to buy another Lightning kit? Oh dear, what a shame, never mind :D 

tbh was going to get one anyway as JADLAM are selling them for a bargain price, though went the more expensive amazon route so I can start decalling it much sooner.....

• Like 1

Shameless bump. :lol:

Just perusing through the various builds.  Lots of neat subjects.  Love it.  With my Yuki Kei build wrapping up, I should be starting on my Lakenheath F-4D in the next couple weeks.  I dug it out of the closet to poke around the parts a bit.  :blush:  Looking forward to it.  

• Like 2

I'd like to join in this group build, with a newly-acquired (and practically un-started) Kamov Ka-25 Hormone, which should have been around 'West of the Urals' in the 1970s.  However I'm not clear about the criteria - I have a preference for the Hormone-C Search and Rescue bird (more attractive colour scheme and less interior scratchbuilding!) but is it eligible?  or does it need to be a combat variant, i.e. the Hormone-A?  Other than that, ready and raring to go, and not at all getting bogged down in research...

Tim

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TimV1969 said:

I'd like to join in this group build, with a newly-acquired (and practically un-started) Kamov Ka-25 Hormone, which should have been around 'West of the Urals' in the 1970s.  However I'm not clear about the criteria - I have a preference for the Hormone-C Search and Rescue bird (more attractive colour scheme and less interior scratchbuilding!) but is it eligible?  or does it need to be a combat variant, i.e. the Hormone-A?  Other than that, ready and raring to go, and not at all getting bogged down in research...

Tim

Given that the Hormone C would have most likely been employed in the Combat SaR role I'm happy to see you go with this one Tim.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm torn.....an acquisition this past weekend has left me in a predicament.  

A Lakenheath F-4D, or a W. German RF-4E.....

I'll have to go cruise through the build threads again.  If there are no other recon birds...I may go that route for a little variety.

...And before anyone says do both (I know it's coming :P ), time and other commitments won't allow me to finish multiple builds in time. ;) 

• Like 2

On 25/04/2017 at 4:11 PM, helios16v said:

I'm torn.....an acquisition this past weekend has left me in a predicament.  

A Lakenheath F-4D, or a W. German RF-4E.....

I'll have to go cruise through the build threads again.  If there are no other recon birds...I may go that route for a little variety.

...And before anyone says do both (I know it's coming :P ), time and other commitments won't allow me to finish multiple builds in time. ;) 

23 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Luftwaffe RF-4E for me.

I was about to pitch my vote in for the RF-4E as well but can see you've already decided :lol:

• Like 1

Anyone out there know what the red trim colour would be around a Russian soviet cockpit canopy frame and where would I get it? Is this the right place to ask? 

Thanks! 

4 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Anyone out there know what the red trim colour would be around a Russian soviet cockpit canopy frame and where would I get it? Is this the right place to ask? 

Thanks! 

As @Pin says its a sealant and can vary in colour. I have just mixed some red+white and painted it on.

• Like 1