Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Col.

70's NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Basuroy said:

Hello folks , I recently received the parcel containing the special hobby 72nd scale AH-1 cobra kit and to my surprise , as per the instruction sheet , one of the markings is for an 8th cavalry machine based out of Germany , 1973 .  I wish to confirm whether this is an eligible candidate for the GB . 

 

Regards ,

Basu

Not one of the mods, but I would have thought it fits the bill perfectly.

We certainly had some helos in the 80's version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Not one of the mods, but I would have thought it fits the bill perfectly.

We certainly had some helos in the 80's version.


Great , I will go ahead then and create a topic :)  ; it is a great scheme too with a sharkmouth haha . 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/03/2017 at 10:26 PM, Basuroy said:

Hello folks , I recently received the parcel containing the special hobby 72nd scale AH-1 cobra kit and to my surprise , as per the instruction sheet , one of the markings is for an 8th cavalry machine based out of Germany , 1973 .  I wish to confirm whether this is an eligible candidate for the GB . 

 

Regards ,

Basu

It certainly is :) Am I correct in thinking this will be our first 'copter of the GB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Col. said:

Am I correct in thinking this will be our first 'copter of the GB?

You know I think it is, will have to have a think about remedying that. I have a couple of options I was thinking about for a second entry but might see if I will do a chopper instead. Not promising anything though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

You know I think it is, will have to have a think about remedying that. I have a couple of options I was thinking about for a second entry but might see if I will do a chopper instead. Not promising anything though!

Did consider getting a Zvezda Mil-24 for this GB but trying to work from the stash rather than add to it for a while so held off getting one. For now. What options are you considering?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Col. said:

Did consider getting a Zvezda Mil-24 for this GB but trying to work from the stash rather than add to it for a while so held off getting one. For now. What options are you considering?

I was thinking of either an F-4E from the 57th FIS based at Keflavik in Iceland or a Mig-21 (both in 1/48), but for helo's I have the old Hasegawa Mi-24A Hind or the Hobby Boss Hind D or the Hobby Boss Mi-8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

I was thinking of either an F-4E from the 57th FIS based at Keflavik in Iceland or a Mig-21 (both in 1/48), but for helo's I have the old Hasegawa Mi-24A Hind or the Hobby Boss Hind D or the Hobby Boss Mi-8.

Have to admit it was the Hind-A I was looking at (always liked it on rarity value over the more common -D types) but the Keflavik based 57th FIS F-4E gets my vote; something about the overall gloss grey scheme with checkerboard markings appeals to me;

 

F4e24024.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Col. said:

Have to admit it was the Hind-A I was looking at (always liked it on rarity value over the more common -D types) but the Keflavik based 57th FIS F-4E gets my vote; something about the overall gloss grey scheme with checkerboard markings appeals to me;

 

F4e24024.jpg

My thoughts exactly, there really is something special about that scheme. Pity we can't keep the GB going all year, it would really help me whittle down the stash and get some builds done I have been thinking about for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

My thoughts exactly, there really is something special about that scheme. Pity we can't keep the GB going all year, it would really help me whittle down the stash and get some builds done I have been thinking about for a long time.

Now there's a plan :D  Oh @Enzo Matrix, we've had an idea... :lol: 

That way I might even make progress with that Airfix Bucc.

Edited by Col.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got round to joining the party

 

For those that say size isn't everything ( steady with the reporting buttons..... :bobby: ) I give you the 1/100 scale Playfix / VEB Bear.

 

IMG_3209

 

Cheers Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Finally got round to joining the party

 

For those that say size isn't everything ( steady with the reporting buttons..... :bobby: ) I give you the 1/100 scale Playfix / VEB Bear.

Ooh that's a big one Pat! :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Col. said:

Ooh that's a big one Pat! :o

 

Thats what all the Girls say, then unfortunately I am rudely awoken by the alarm clock ! :blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, modelling minion said:

My thoughts exactly, there really is something special about that scheme. Pity we can't keep the GB going all year, it would really help me whittle down the stash and get some builds done I have been thinking about for a long time.

 

Can't we? Why can't we? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

 

Thats what all the Girls say, then unfortunately I am rudely awoken by the alarm clock ! :blush:

:lol: It's best I don't type the comment that came into my head after mis-reading your reply :rolleyes:

 

9 hours ago, SoftScience said:

 

Can't we? Why can't we? 

Well once the GB officially closes there's nothing I know of to stop us continuing with our existing WIP threads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Col. said:

Well once the GB officially closes there's nothing I know of to stop us continuing with our existing WIP threads.

 

It is actually recommended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least we can give the 60s edition a good go to continue the theme ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Col. said:

At least we can give the 60s edition a good go to continue the theme ;) 

It's just that some of us are impatient, and waiting a year will make our hands sweat :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

It's just that some of us are impatient, and waiting a year will make our hands sweat :)

 

Weren't you told about that when you were younger?  It'll make you go blind you know :whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the first of my two phantoms is getting close to the finish line, I began poking around the loft to see what else I have that my qualify for this GB. Turns out, a lot more than I thought.

 

1/72 

Hasegawa EA-6b with USS Nimitz 1978/79 Med cruise decals

 

Trumpeter Lightning F.1/2. There is a neat black and white checkers squadron from the early 70s option in the box. Any info on the kit? Stuff to watch out for? I understand not as accurate as Airfix. Yes?

 

The Fujimi Phantom FGR.2 already in the works (sort of)

 

The Modelsvit Su-7 I described many pages ago.

 

Hasegawa F-104S. Still don't know if the decal options are 70s appropriate. 

 

1/35 

Trumpeter T-62 mod 1972

 

 

Not nearly enough time to finish them all before June, but maybe one or two more. Difficult choices here :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Since the first of my two phantoms is getting close to the finish line, I began poking around the loft to see what else I have that my qualify for this GB. Turns out, a lot more than I thought.

 

1/72 

Hasegawa EA-6b with USS Nimitz 1978/79 Med cruise decals

 

Trumpeter Lightning F.1/2. There is a neat black and white checkers squadron from the early 70s option in the box. Any info on the kit? Stuff to watch out for? I understand not as accurate as Airfix. Yes?

 

The Fujimi Phantom FGR.2 already in the works (sort of)

 

The Modelsvit Su-7 I described many pages ago.

 

Hasegawa F-104S. Still don't know if the decal options are 70s appropriate. 

 

1/35 

Trumpeter T-62 mod 1972

 

 

Not nearly enough time to finish them all before June, but maybe one or two more. Difficult choices here :)

 

Nice options there, my 2 favourites are the EA-6B and the Su-7, either of them would look nice and neither type is being built yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SoftScience said:

I'm getting crazy ideas about a Cold War modeling forum...

 

12 hours ago, SoftScience said:

It's just that some of us are impatient, and waiting a year will make our hands sweat :)

Hmm, a Cold War modelling section to Britmodeller... let me have a think as there's an idea forming in my head ;) 

 

9 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Since the first of my two phantoms is getting close to the finish line, I began poking around the loft to see what else I have that my qualify for this GB. Turns out, a lot more than I thought.

 

1/72 Hasegawa EA-6b with USS Nimitz 1978/79 Med cruise decals

Trumpeter Lightning F.1/2. There is a neat black and white checkers squadron from the early 70s option in the box. Any info on the kit? Stuff to watch out for? I understand not as accurate as Airfix. Yes?

 

The Fujimi Phantom FGR.2 already in the works (sort of)

 

The Modelsvit Su-7 I described many pages ago.

 

Hasegawa F-104S. Still don't know if the decal options are 70s appropriate. 

 

1/35 

Trumpeter T-62 mod 1972

 

Not nearly enough time to finish them all before June, but maybe one or two more. Difficult choices here :)

 

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nice options there, my 2 favourites are the EA-6B and the Su-7, either of them would look nice and neither type is being built yet.

Yip, the EA-6B and Su-7 get my vote as well, the EA-6B in particular is a machine I can't recall seeing modelled for a very long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Col. said:

Hmm, a Cold War modelling section to Britmodeller... let me have a think as there's an idea forming in my head ;) 

 

I'll be watching to see what you're cooking.  I find the Cold War era particularly fascinating, in part because I served right after the culmination of it.  The era of specialized equipment.  The flight decks of the US carriers were covered with a wonderful diversity of aircraft, that I don't think we will ever see again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the 70s in particular was a turning point in the whole cold war and technology dept. What was on its way out compared little to what was coming into service, yet what was going out was in some cases very impressive post WW2 stuff and the newcomers were the start of things that we are still seeing in service today.

Bit dramatic, perhaps, but impressive going (for all the wrong reasons) nonetheless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×