70's NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

I think that we need clear geographical area specified now as well as what countries are included. Of the neutral countries at least Sweden and Finland had clearly part of the Cold War although the GB's current name discloses them.

Cheers,

AaCee

I think that we need clear geographical area specified now as well as what countries are included. Of the neutral countries at least Sweden and Finland had clearly part of the Cold War although the GB's current name discloses them.

Cheers,

AaCee

As a continuation from the current 80's NATO vs Warsaw Pact GB I'm using the same basic rules and country list :)

CENTURIONS :evil_laugh: :evil_laugh: :evil_laugh: Please add me in Col.

Now we are 21 :D

• Like 2

Cheers,

AaCee

Maybe it´s time to revive the Nordic GB :winkgrin:

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just off to photoshop some sidewinders on a Beagle Bassett pic...... :) Failing that, something Mig-ey. Or maybe even a Fishpot or a Fiddler

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 1

I did some digging around on USAFE fighter aircraft a few weeks ago, compiling a spreadsheet of aircraft, squadrons, bases & years of operation for the '80s GB subjects. While I was in there, I went ahead and grabbed most of the info I could find all the way back to the early '50s. The list is by no means all inclusive...but I've got a majority of the squadrons covered that were stationed there for 6 months or better. I don't have many of the units that only deployed for a couple months or less. My listing was just a compilation from info I found scattered about Wikipedia. Most of the heavies from TAC & SAC tended to rotate through on a regular basis, as such I haven't had time to try to compile those guys. Anywho, the list is as follows:

USAFE fighter aircraft deployed/stationed in European theatre between 1970-79

F-4C/D/E

F-5 (aggressor squadron)

F-15A (Cs weren't delivered until 1980)

F-100

F-111E/F

RF-4C

RF-101C

A-10

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just off to photoshop some sidewinders on a Beagle Bassett pic...... :) Failing that, something Mig-ey. Or maybe even a Fishpot or a Fiddler

I dread to think what would happen to a Beagle Bassett upon launching a Sidewinder :lol:

Liking the sound of a Fishpot or Fiddler in particular though.

Oooerrr missus, this might be a chance for a green Lightning. I'll be up for it. Sometime in 2018 I imagine?

Oh yes!

I did some digging around on USAFE fighter aircraft a few weeks ago, compiling a spreadsheet of aircraft, squadrons, bases & years of operation for the '80s GB subjects. While I was in there, I went ahead and grabbed most of the info I could find all the way back to the early '50s. The list is by no means all inclusive...but I've got a majority of the squadrons covered that were stationed there for 6 months or better. I don't have many of the units that only deployed for a couple months or less. My listing was just a compilation from info I found scattered about Wikipedia. Most of the heavies from TAC & SAC tended to rotate through on a regular basis, as such I haven't had time to try to compile those guys. Anywho, the list is as follows:

USAFE fighter aircraft deployed/stationed in European theatre between 1970-79

F-4C/D/E

F-5 (aggressor squadron)

F-15A (Cs weren't delivered until 1980)

F-100

F-111E/F

RF-4C

RF-101C

A-10

Hard work done there and something I'd like to pin in a reference post once this GB happens if I may please?

• Like 1

Hard work done there and something I'd like to pin in a reference post once this GB happens if I may please?

Sure thing. Glad to help.

Link to the spreadsheet (restricted to view only): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mbtyCm6pquMggoJfFONrrY8KNlcyC2jQXPD-lhi95aE/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty sure that the Airfix Harrier GR1 will be an eligible subject - and I've got two of those in the stash.

That's without going through the stash with a fine tooth comb.

Count me in.

EDITed following stash investigation: One Harrier offers two eligible schemes, the other pre-dates this GB.

There are other offerings like Lightning, Gannet, and Sea Vixen - were those last 2 really operating during the 70s?

AND again, The Lightning is a virtual copy of a T4 I built in 48th - so not going to happen.

Gannet remains a possibility, as does the 899NAS SeaVixen.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
  • Like 1

Sign me up. Probably a Belgian F-104.

Oh yes! Silver or camouflage?

Pretty sure that the Airfix Harrier GR1 will be an eligible subject - and I've got two of those in the stash.

That's without going through the stash with a fine tooth comb.

Count me in.

EDITed following stash investigation: One Harrier offers two eligible schemes, the other pre-dates this GB.

There are other offerings like Lightning, Gannet, and Sea Vixen - were those last 2 really operating during the 70s?

A Harrier GR.1 or two would be most lovely :thumbsup:

Pretty near sure the Gannet was still in service then but not sure about the Vixen.

Probably camouflage but a silver one is nice aswell.

Well got some time to think about that!

It will make a nice companion for your Greek one you've just done for the 80's NATO/WARPAC GB. You never know I might build another myself, though I am leaning towards a Phantom at the minute, probably USAF or Spanish.

• Like 2