70's NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

6 hours ago, Col. said:

So gang, a while ago I mentioned doing a 60s edition of our GB, who would be up for joining in with me for another round of all this fun but a decade earlier in the timeline?

Definitely up for it, assumed it would happen.

I've also been thinking about the possibility of doing the same for Asia through the decades from the 80's going backwards, that way we can include Australia, New Zealand, China, Taiwan as well as anything from the US and USSR based in the theatre.

What do you think guys?

Craig.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Col. said:

So gang, a while ago I mentioned doing a 60s edition of our GB, who would be up for joining in with me for another round of all this fun but a decade earlier in the timeline?

Put me down for the 60's version Col.

And for the 50's the following year???

James

20 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

I think that might be part of the Xtradecal F-4D sheet. Which also has the JT codes. Is that what you were thinking of?

No, the sheet does have the TJ tailcodes, yes, but not the 401st TFW badge yet. The ones on the Xtradecal sheet are the 48th FW one. The Superscale sheet has the proper badges.

On 3/5/2017 at 3:48 AM, Col. said:

Uh, yeah.  :cool:

Edited by helios16v

On 5/3/2017 at 0:48 PM, Col. said:

Oohhh - the sixties! They say that if you can remember the sixties, then you haven't been there! :blink:

Well I was born in 1962, and I can't remember much of it, so that must mean, I haven't been there, and consequently am 8 years younger! :rolleyes:

So - being that young - of course I'm in - with what I don't know yet - I have a Lightning, Hunter. Starfighter, F-100.....or...a Staalwart, Saladin.....

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

On 3/5/2017 at 11:48 AM, Col. said:

Yes please!! :headphones:

On 05/03/2017 at 5:58 PM, modelling minion said:

Definitely up for it, assumed it would happen.

I've also been thinking about the possibility of doing the same for Asia through the decades from the 80's going backwards, that way we can include Australia, New Zealand, China, Taiwan as well as anything from the US and USSR based in the theatre.

What do you think guys?

Craig.

Asia in the 80s sounds an interesting subject and one that gives everyone a chance to participate.

On 05/03/2017 at 7:32 PM, SoftScience said:

I would happily participate in a 60s NATO build, and then hop back over to the 80s in the Pacific. Or a Middle Eastern proxy wars theme. 

On 05/03/2017 at 7:37 PM, franky boy said:

Put me down for the 60's version Col.

And for the 50's the following year???

James

That's the plan :D 

5 hours ago, helios16v said:

Uh, yeah.  :cool:

2 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

Oohhh - the sixties! They say that if you can remember the sixties, then you haven't been there! :blink:

Well I was born in 1962, and I can't remember much of it, so that must mean, I haven't been there, and consequently am 8 years younger! :rolleyes:

So - being that young - of course I'm in - with what I don't know yet - I have a Lightning, Hunter. Starfighter, F-100.....or...a Staalwart, Saladin.....

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

59 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Yes please!! :headphones:

With this much enthusiasm I really need to start a proper thread...

• Like 2

:lol:

I've got an F-100 in the stash I've been saving specifically for this.  Just need to find proper decals.....they are out there, I've seen them once.  Probably should've snagged them.....

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 1

I'll probably be doing a USAFE bird.

Unless I find something else I want to build more between now and then.  It's quite aways off, so I'm not locking exactly what I'm going to build in yet.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Col. said:

Asia in the 80s sounds an interesting subject and one that gives everyone a chance to participate.

Cheers Col, I thought that it would be as inclusive as the NATO/WARPAC ones have been which I believe is why they are so popular and it gives us the chance of building some of the classics that were built in the 80's NATO one in some different markings.

As for the 60's NATO/WARPAC I have already made my choice (well one of them at least!) I'm going to build an F-105 from the 36th TFW based at Bitburg, should make a change from a Vietnam theatre one.

Craig.

• Like 1

On 05/03/2017 at 11:48 AM, Col. said:

Oh goody, an excuse to contemplate an Amodel Yak_28.... or not ! :)

Count me in

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IanHx said:

Oh goody, an excuse to contemplate an Amodel Yak_28.... or not ! :)

Count me in

Cool :D I'll add your name to the list Ian.

There is a proper thread over here...

... where the banter and suggestions are already starting to gather pace.

Any experts on Italian F-104 S units? 

I have the Hasegawa 1:72 kit, and I'm wondering if any of the markings options would be 70s appropriate.

23 gruppo 5 stormo in two tone camo 

12 gruppo 36 stormo nmf

9 gruppo 4 stormo nmf

I'd post a shot of the instructions, but postimage seems to be down again.

12 hours ago, SoftScience said:

I have the Hasegawa 1:72 kit, and I'm wondering if any of the markings options would be 70s appropriate.

12 gruppo 36 stormo nmf

9 gruppo 4 stormo nmf

No expert on the subject but I'm guessing the natural metal birds are more likely to be the 70s options. Certainly look the part anyway :D 

On 03/13/2017 at 01:00, SoftScience said:

12 gruppo 36 stormo nmf

9 gruppo 4 stormo nmf

On 03/13/2017 at 13:50, Col. said:

No expert on the subject but I'm guessing the natural metal birds are more likely to be the 70s options. Certainly look the part anyway :D 

Likewise no expert but camouflage was certainly present on Italian F-104's by the 1970's - large identification numbers and large national markings with a lot of white showing.

Giorgio N is the man for this.

Edited by Wez
damned autocorrect on so-called smart phone
  • Like 2

Im not so sure the S version was ever in natural metal. Just doesnt sound right to me. Good old Wiki even has one in camo and suggests its a 1969 photo, and Wiki never lies... much.

Hello folks , I recently received the parcel containing the special hobby 72nd scale AH-1 cobra kit and to my surprise , as per the instruction sheet , one of the markings is for an 8th cavalry machine based out of Germany , 1973 .  I wish to confirm whether this is an eligible candidate for the GB . 

Regards ,

Basu

• Like 2