70's NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

Hello folks , is a Mig 21 F.13 in German or Polish or Czech or Soviet  colour eligible for this group build ? I ask because I am not sure if the f.13 was in operation during the seventies .

Also I am not clear on how accurate the markings have to be - should the model have the exact markings down to the squadron logo/aircraft number as of an aircraft that was in operation during the seventies or is it acceptable if the model is finished as a generic 70's airplane with the national insignia (in accurate camo) for the period but without squadron marking/logo ?  I have many national markings but I don't have any specific decal for the time period . 

4 hours ago, Basuroy said:

Hello folks , is a Mig 21 F.13 in German or Polish or Czech or Soviet  colour eligible for this group build ? I ask because I am not sure if the f.13 was in operation during the seventies .

Also I am not clear on how accurate the markings have to be - should the model have the exact markings down to the squadron logo/aircraft number as of an aircraft that was in operation during the seventies or is it acceptable if the model is finished as a generic 70's airplane with the national insignia (in accurate camo) for the period but without squadron marking/logo ?  I have many national markings but I don't have any specific decal for the time period . 

There were still some F.13 going about in service during the early 70s according to the decal options with the Revell 72nd scale kit but I'd have to dig the kit out of my stash to check which one mentions it. A search on-line may also yield confirmation.

If you can find an example in front-line service with a particular qualifying nation by all means go with it. While we would prefer if you coud find a subject with fairly plain markings I'm not going to insist you source any unit specific badges or logos so long as they are not too obvious.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Col. said:

There were still some F.13 going about in service during the early 70s according to the decal options with the Revell 72nd scale kit but I'd have to dig the kit out of my stash to check which one mentions it. A search on-line may also yield confirmation.

If you can find an example in front-line service with a particular qualifying nation by all means go with it. While we would prefer if you coud find a subject with fairly plain markings I'm not going to insist you source any unit specific badges or logos so long as they are not too obvious.

Cheers Col. , appreciate the help . It is the revell f.13 kit that I have in mind , I built the one I had last year in Indian colour and might get another for this GB , I recall it came with East German and Soviet decals .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Basuroy said:

Cheers Col. , appreciate the help . It is the revell f.13 kit that I have in mind , I built the one I had last year in Indian colour and might get another for this GB , I recall it came with East German and Soviet decals .

No problem. I have the first edition of that kit with multiple decals options including several Finnish Air Force machines, the Soviet one, plus a couple of East German including a camouflaged example that, I think, was issued to a technical training unit during the 80s so there must have been some still in use during the early 70s at least. I'll try to dig the kit out a little later and get back to you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Col. said:

No problem. I have the first edition of that kit with multiple decals options including several Finnish Air Force machines, the Soviet one, plus a couple of East German including a camouflaged example that, I think, was issued to a technical training unit during the 80s so there must have been some still in use during the early 70s at least. I'll try to dig the kit out a little later and get back to you.

The camo East German ones were in use in the 1970's in a ground attack role so that would fit the bill a treat.

Craig.

• Like 1

After two weeks of action we have two finished models in the gallery. Two tank battles won and the scores are 1 all to NATO & Warsaw Pact :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

So after a little research, it would appear that No.4 Squadron received its GR.3 Harriers in the mid 70's. Although the Airfix boxing has the date down of the scheme as 1980, did it change that much in that time and would anyone object to me using that as my entry?

• Like 1

today while buying a new paint for my frigate I decided on a whim to get this, too:

trumpt55dozer%20(1).jpg

I checked on wiki and apparently there were tens of thousands of these things still active and being produced right through the 70s. 

Sound ok? I will do one that isn't Finnish, of course.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

So after a little research, it would appear that No.4 Squadron received its GR.3 Harriers in the mid 70's. Although the Airfix boxing has the date down of the scheme as 1980, did it change that much in that time and would anyone object to me using that as my entry?

Go for it :D 

20 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

today while buying a new paint for my frigate I decided on a whim to get this, too:

trumpt55dozer%20(1).jpg

I checked on wiki and apparently there were tens of thousands of these things still active and being produced right through the 70s. 

Sound ok? I will do one that isn't Finnish, of course.

Yes go for it :D 

On 19/02/2017 at 13:09, charlie_c67 said:

The markings of all the Harrier squadrons were pretty much the same all the way through the GR3 era.  The only two major changes I can think of were two aircraft which trialled the new colour schemes for the GR.5.  XV738/B of IV Sqn was painted in greys and XV809/AF of 3 Sqn was painted in the green scheme which was eventually chosen.

Just remember that during the 70s, Harriers had underwing serials.  Later in the 80s, underwing serials disappeared because the wing assembly was interchangeable between aircraft.  They were swapped around with such regularity  that it got silly remarking them each time.

Another thing to watch is the LRMTS nose.  Use the component without the bulge and antenna on the underside.

• Like 1

Can anybody confirm or deny whether this particular aircraft was already flying in the 1970s?

I understand that 92 sqn equipped with the fgr.2 in the late 1970s, but the only photos I can find of xv415 in this scheme are from 1982/83.  Is there a chance the same airframe dates back to 78/79?

IMG_20170224_171511397_HDR.jpg

45 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Can anybody confirm or deny whether this particular aircraft was already flying in the 1970s?

I understand that 92 sqn equipped with the fgr.2 in the late 1970s, but the only photos I can find of xv415 in this scheme are from 1982/83.  Is there a chance the same airframe dates back to 78/79?

Closest I can find is XV414 claiming to have been photographed in 1979. If you can find the spare "4"s then maybe go with that and some careful decal chopping? Pretty sure between us lot we can find said "4"s if you cant rob it from something. Is it 1/72 or 1/48?

About a 1/5 of the way down the page:

http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=92174

Edited by RMP2

9 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Closest I can find is XV414 claiming to have been photographed in 1979. If you can find a spare "4" then maybe go with that and some careful decal chopping? Pretty sure between us lot we can find said "4" if you cant rob it from something. 1/72 or 1/48?

About a 1/5 of the way down the page:

http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=92174

I just found the rest of the decal sheet from a Fujimi F-4K I built more than a decade ago :o:( 

I can easily make XV414 happen. Thanks for the heads up, sir! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

I just found the rest of the decal sheet from a Fujimi F-4K I built more than a decade ago :o:( 

I can easily make XV414 happen. Thanks for the heads up, sir! 

Youre lucky it was a 4! Im having some "interesting" fun with A-10 serials myself... Like anyone else would bother researching? Why do we do it to ourselves!?

this is why I usually dont bother. Historic research is already part of my workday, so I try to keep it reasonably distant from my hobby. :)

Nevertheless, had to make sure my 1970s builds actually served in the 70s :) 

Now where did I put those photos of the 1972 Luftwaffe JATO spitfires?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

this is why I usually dont bother. Historic research is already part of my workday, so I try to keep it reasonably distant from my hobby. :)

Nevertheless, had to make sure my 1970s builds actually served in the 70s :) 

Now where did I put those photos of the 1972 Luftwaffe JATO spitfires?

Understood. Was part of my work til I received redundancy over favour of inexperienced and cheaper apprentices... Now I seem to channel my curiosity into stuff at home, which isnt such a good thing at times!

But yea, its nice to know things are right. I actually try to base serials or schemes etc around my birthdate so they have some relevance to me, bit sad and maybe going a bit far, but its nice when it works out.

RATO Seafires, sure, we all know about those... dont we? But, JATO what, when???

9 hours ago, SoftScience said:

If 92 Sqn. were playing with the FGR.2 in the late 70s then I can easily be convinced XV415 was amongst them and most likely flying in the scheme depicted ;)