70's NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

18 hours ago, Basuroy said:

Hello folks , I recently received the parcel containing the special hobby 72nd scale AH-1 cobra kit and to my surprise , as per the instruction sheet , one of the markings is for an 8th cavalry machine based out of Germany , 1973 .  I wish to confirm whether this is an eligible candidate for the GB . 

Regards ,

Basu

Not one of the mods, but I would have thought it fits the bill perfectly.

We certainly had some helos in the 80's version.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Not one of the mods, but I would have thought it fits the bill perfectly.

We certainly had some helos in the 80's version.

Great , I will go ahead then and create a topic :)  ; it is a great scheme too with a sharkmouth haha . 

• Like 1

On 17/03/2017 at 10:26 PM, Basuroy said:

Hello folks , I recently received the parcel containing the special hobby 72nd scale AH-1 cobra kit and to my surprise , as per the instruction sheet , one of the markings is for an 8th cavalry machine based out of Germany , 1973 .  I wish to confirm whether this is an eligible candidate for the GB . 

Regards ,

Basu

It certainly is :) Am I correct in thinking this will be our first 'copter of the GB?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Col. said:

Am I correct in thinking this will be our first 'copter of the GB?

You know I think it is, will have to have a think about remedying that. I have a couple of options I was thinking about for a second entry but might see if I will do a chopper instead. Not promising anything though!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

You know I think it is, will have to have a think about remedying that. I have a couple of options I was thinking about for a second entry but might see if I will do a chopper instead. Not promising anything though!

Did consider getting a Zvezda Mil-24 for this GB but trying to work from the stash rather than add to it for a while so held off getting one. For now. What options are you considering?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Col. said:

Did consider getting a Zvezda Mil-24 for this GB but trying to work from the stash rather than add to it for a while so held off getting one. For now. What options are you considering?

I was thinking of either an F-4E from the 57th FIS based at Keflavik in Iceland or a Mig-21 (both in 1/48), but for helo's I have the old Hasegawa Mi-24A Hind or the Hobby Boss Hind D or the Hobby Boss Mi-8.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

I was thinking of either an F-4E from the 57th FIS based at Keflavik in Iceland or a Mig-21 (both in 1/48), but for helo's I have the old Hasegawa Mi-24A Hind or the Hobby Boss Hind D or the Hobby Boss Mi-8.

Have to admit it was the Hind-A I was looking at (always liked it on rarity value over the more common -D types) but the Keflavik based 57th FIS F-4E gets my vote; something about the overall gloss grey scheme with checkerboard markings appeals to me;

F4e24024.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Col. said:

Have to admit it was the Hind-A I was looking at (always liked it on rarity value over the more common -D types) but the Keflavik based 57th FIS F-4E gets my vote; something about the overall gloss grey scheme with checkerboard markings appeals to me;

F4e24024.jpg

My thoughts exactly, there really is something special about that scheme. Pity we can't keep the GB going all year, it would really help me whittle down the stash and get some builds done I have been thinking about for a long time.

21 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

My thoughts exactly, there really is something special about that scheme. Pity we can't keep the GB going all year, it would really help me whittle down the stash and get some builds done I have been thinking about for a long time.

Now there's a plan :D  Oh @Enzo Matrix, we've had an idea... :lol: 

That way I might even make progress with that Airfix Bucc.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

Finally got round to joining the party

For those that say size isn't everything ( steady with the reporting buttons..... :bobby: ) I give you the 1/100 scale Playfix / VEB Bear.

IMG_3209

Cheers Pat

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Finally got round to joining the party

For those that say size isn't everything ( steady with the reporting buttons..... :bobby: ) I give you the 1/100 scale Playfix / VEB Bear.

Ooh that's a big one Pat! :o

• Like 1

17 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Can't we? Why can't we? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thats what all the Girls say, then unfortunately I am rudely awoken by the alarm clock ! :blush:

:lol: It's best I don't type the comment that came into my head after mis-reading your reply :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Can't we? Why can't we? 

Well once the GB officially closes there's nothing I know of to stop us continuing with our existing WIP threads.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

It's just that some of us are impatient, and waiting a year will make our hands sweat :)

Weren't you told about that when you were younger?  It'll make you go blind you know :whistle:

• Like 2

Since the first of my two phantoms is getting close to the finish line, I began poking around the loft to see what else I have that my qualify for this GB. Turns out, a lot more than I thought.

1/72 

Hasegawa EA-6b with USS Nimitz 1978/79 Med cruise decals

Trumpeter Lightning F.1/2. There is a neat black and white checkers squadron from the early 70s option in the box. Any info on the kit? Stuff to watch out for? I understand not as accurate as Airfix. Yes?

The Fujimi Phantom FGR.2 already in the works (sort of)

The Modelsvit Su-7 I described many pages ago.

Hasegawa F-104S. Still don't know if the decal options are 70s appropriate. 

1/35 

Trumpeter T-62 mod 1972

Not nearly enough time to finish them all before June, but maybe one or two more. Difficult choices here :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Since the first of my two phantoms is getting close to the finish line, I began poking around the loft to see what else I have that my qualify for this GB. Turns out, a lot more than I thought.

1/72 

Hasegawa EA-6b with USS Nimitz 1978/79 Med cruise decals

Trumpeter Lightning F.1/2. There is a neat black and white checkers squadron from the early 70s option in the box. Any info on the kit? Stuff to watch out for? I understand not as accurate as Airfix. Yes?

1/35 

Trumpeter T-62 mod 1972

Not nearly enough time to finish them all before June, but maybe one or two more. Difficult choices here :)

Nice options there, my 2 favourites are the EA-6B and the Su-7, either of them would look nice and neither type is being built yet.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SoftScience said:

I'm getting crazy ideas about a Cold War modeling forum...

12 hours ago, SoftScience said:

It's just that some of us are impatient, and waiting a year will make our hands sweat :)

Hmm, a Cold War modelling section to Britmodeller... let me have a think as there's an idea forming in my head ;) 

9 hours ago, SoftScience said:

1/72 Hasegawa EA-6b with USS Nimitz 1978/79 Med cruise decals

1/35 

Trumpeter T-62 mod 1972

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nice options there, my 2 favourites are the EA-6B and the Su-7, either of them would look nice and neither type is being built yet.

Yip, the EA-6B and Su-7 get my vote as well, the EA-6B in particular is a machine I can't recall seeing modelled for a very long time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Hmm, a Cold War modelling section to Britmodeller... let me have a think as there's an idea forming in my head ;) 

I'll be watching to see what you're cooking.  I find the Cold War era particularly fascinating, in part because I served right after the culmination of it.  The era of specialized equipment.  The flight decks of the US carriers were covered with a wonderful diversity of aircraft, that I don't think we will ever see again.

• Like 3

I think the 70s in particular was a turning point in the whole cold war and technology dept. What was on its way out compared little to what was coming into service, yet what was going out was in some cases very impressive post WW2 stuff and the newcomers were the start of things that we are still seeing in service today.

Bit dramatic, perhaps, but impressive going (for all the wrong reasons) nonetheless.

• Like 6