70's NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

32 minutes ago, Col. said:

First blood goes to @wimbledon99 by making a start to his T-72 Happy Hangover fella, hope you had a couple vodkas to 'get in the spirit' so to speak  :D 

Haha - I did indeed 'get into the spirit' funnily enough. Seemed a good idea at the time! :bangin:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, planecrazee said:

Am I still ok to join this one please - I've got a Zvezda Mig 21 that I'd like to get going with :D

Oh yes, you most certainly are, so get going! :D 

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Have to see what we can do about that then!

Sounds interesting...

• Like 1

So I am thinking of a DDR Mig from the 70s (MiG 23 Flogger B maybe?) to equal thinks up.

Now I am no expert on 70s MiGs.....any tips as to what model fits (am looking at the basic Airfix at the moment) and what colour schemes the DDR would have had in the 70s - the cam or NMF? All pics point to DDR being camo only?

Any informed pointers to relevant kits/decals in 1/72?

Obviously due to secrecy there are not much in the way of actual pics from the era, only later when Germany reunified, which means older schemes?

https://acesflyinghigh.wordpress.com/2015/11/17/combat-jets-of-the-east-german-air-force-1970-to-1987-the-modernization/

nva-582-mig23-peenemuende.jpg?w=900&h=59

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

So I am thinking of a DDR Mig from the 70s (MiG 23 Flogger B maybe?) to equal thinks up.

Now I am no expert on 70s MiGs.....any tips as to what model fits (am looking at the basic Airfix at the moment) and what colour schemes the DDR would have had in the 70s - the cam or NMF? All pics point to DDR being camo only?

Obviously due to secrecy there are not much in the way of actual pics from the era, only later when Germany reunified, which means older schemes?

https://acesflyinghigh.wordpress.com/2015/11/17/combat-jets-of-the-east-german-air-force-1970-to-1987-the-modernization/

nva-582-mig23-peenemuende.jpg?w=900&h=59

Hi Tim

-I'd go for the Kovozavody Prostejov kit, accurate and detailed, but somewhat of a chore to build apparently.

NVA-LSK (E-German AF) MiG-23MF (as the one in your pic) were delivered in the 1970s in overall aircraft grey and were subsequently camouflaged but from when exactly I can't say for sure. From pictures and articles I assume it's the period around 1980. Later versions such as the ML were delivered in factory-applied camouflage. 

-Jay

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

Was tempted to do a MiG-23 myself for similar reasons so go for it Tim :clap: 

If I remember there was some discussion about the change in camouflage styles during the 80's edition of this GB so might be worth having a search there as well.

• Like 1

Finally ready to start thinking of subjects for this GB... at the moment I've got some that may be suitable, however they all have their pros and cons

Norwegian F-104G: have the Hasegawa kit and the beautiful decals from Vingtor (thanks to a fellow Britmodeller), both top quality. However most aircrafts are represented before 1970 and these also look better than the post 1970 ones... build it here or save it for the F-104 STGB ?

Italian G-91Y: the Matchbox kit is old and inaccurate but I have a plan to sort most problems. Would be a very involved build but I have to start it someday. There's already one built in the GB so maybe better look for something different to add some variety...

French Super Mystere B-2: the airfix kit is not bad for its age, just some rescribing needed. Decals in the box are old and not well reproduced either.. still, would make for a less than usual model

Yak-28I: Amodel kit, so I know what to expect... unfortunately none of the markings included is for aircrafts in the '70s and I'd expect references to be hard to find

I may start tossing coins to chose what to build !

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Finally ready to start thinking of subjects for this GB... at the moment I've got some that may be suitable, however they all have their pros and cons

Norwegian F-104G: have the Hasegawa kit and the beautiful decals from Vingtor (thanks to a fellow Britmodeller), both top quality. However most aircrafts are represented before 1970 and these also look better than the post 1970 ones... build it here or save it for the F-104 STGB ?

Italian G-91Y: the Matchbox kit is old and inaccurate but I have a plan to sort most problems. Would be a very involved build but I have to start it someday. There's already one built in the GB so maybe better look for something different to add some variety...

French Super Mystere B-2: the airfix kit is not bad for its age, just some rescribing needed. Decals in the box are old and not well reproduced either.. still, would make for a less than usual model

Yak-28I: Amodel kit, so I know what to expect... unfortunately none of the markings included is for aircrafts in the '70s and I'd expect references to be hard to find

I may start tossing coins to chose what to build !

Can I put in a vote for the Super Mystere? Or perhaps now is a good time to add something suitable to the stash ;) 

6 hours ago, Brad said:

There's a lot of NATO aircraft here, I might join in with a Czech SA6 Gainful AA battery.

That's one way of leveling the playing field a bit :lol: 

• Like 1

Looks like the Super Mystere is attracting some attention, then Super Myster it is !:speak_cool:

It's one of those '50s aircrafts that served in numbers in the '60s and then made it into the '70s, like the Sabre or the F-84F. What's fascinating about the '70s is that they saw some oldies still in service and the arrival of some of the fighters that are still important today.. an F-86 and an F-15 in the same decade !

• Like 4

Experts, what sizes were the serials, underwing serials and tail letters on harrier GR1's? Decided to use the xtradecal sheets to my harrier as a different sqn to those in th box

edit and the code letters on the outrigger gears 

XV740A-05JUL1975-Grondstein.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu

11 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Experts, what sizes were the serials, underwing serials and tail letters on harrier GR1's? Decided to use the xtradecal sheets to my harrier as a different sqn to those in th box

edit and the code letters on the outrigger gears 

IIRC underwing serials were 24", rear fuselage serials 8", the tail letter is likely 12" and the outrigger letter may be 6" or 8"

• Like 2

I'm notoriously bad at completing group builds, but I loved the 80s NATO build so much that I feel compelled. 

I have a 1/72 Hasegawa F-4D that might be fun to do as one of the Lakenheath pea-green phantoms.

Also a Modelsvit Su-7BM. But can't figure out the service periods for any of the options in box. The camouflaged Czech version would be fun, but unsure if 70s or 80s. 

On the other hand, getting a bit fed up with 72 again (I tinker with 48th from time to time). The only thing I have in 48 is a hasegawa F-4ej Kai, which I understand can be done up as a standard -E. Any decals out there for 70s USAFE F-4e?

Edited by SoftScience
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Just ordered the Kittyhawk Jaguar Gr.1. I'll probably come to regret this

What? Never! How can you possibly ever regret buying a model!?! They are an investment; either for your own enjoyment or for you offspring/significant other to flog off when you've shuffled off into the afterlife ;) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SoftScience said:

From my understanding Kittyhawk and enjoyment aren't always synonymous. :)

Though I've seen these built up into very nice kits.

And I do like the Jaguar in green and gray

I think patience and test fitting are the way forward with Kittyhawk stuff. Always worth a read through other people's WiP threads to see where the issues arise; forewarned is forearmed and while learning from your mistakes is good learning from others mistakes is better :D 

• Like 3