70's NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

1 hour ago, Antoine said:

Try to google Zapad followed by the year, zapad 81 for exemple. Try also the Cyrillic version, Запад-81.

For NATO, there's Reforger.

With those, I'm pretty sure you'll find some kind of listing

Hi Antoine, thank you.

Antoine -I agree, on Reforgers and other recurring NATO exercises there's lots of info individually, but I still haven found an overview. Regarding Warsaw Pact I'm out of leads entirely. In searches запад-77 и 81 indeed come up quite a lot but that's about it. 

The only other WP exercise in the 1970s I was able to find anything comprehensive on is Štít 72 in Czechoslovakia (both air and ground forces):

Hope to find more in due course.

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pin said:

Savostleyka, Talagahi, Savatiya, Kotlas, Anderma, Semipalatinsk, Omsk, Belaya, Bratsk, Hantaga, Tiksi, Naryan-Mar

Thank you :thumbsup: 

At least two of these bases were west of the Ural Range is my map-reading skills haven't failled me @IanHx so your Tu-128 is good for this GB :) 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mountain goat said:

Hi Antoine, thank you.

Antoine -I agree, on Reforgers and other recurring NATO exercises there's lots of info individually.

Jay

For USAF deployments to European NATO-countries and USAF involvement in NATO exercises the Sharpshooter site has some great chronologically ordered info plus pictures of the deployed units involved between 1970 and 1997. Click on the year and have a look. For instance, below is a Crested Cap F-4D (the 49th TFW was based officially both at Holloman and Ramstein simultaneously), in 1975:

667587.jpg

Jay

• Like 1

Thinking what to build......I have a 1/72 Bucc in the stash (Oh and a 1/48 but that will be a Op Granby build) - I also have the decals for a Red Flag 77 scheme.  Would this be within the GB rules, it was painted for that Ex in the USA?

slide-royal-air-force-buccaneer-s-2-xx90

MA-177.jpg

208Buccs.jpg

or the Arctic Cam used for a Norway deployment/ Red Flag work up training in Goose Bay?

XV160208SqnGooseBay24-Apr-77.jpg

Bit of a hard one this @Tim Moff. Due to both schemes carrying out their purpose outwith the subject area that would exclude them from this GB. If, however, it can be proved that either or both were also used for a few months within the area then I'd be happy to have them included. I think I've seen photos of the Red Flag scheme deployed to Gibralta and if the winter scheme, while temporary, was also used in Norway for a while then both will be good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Col. said:

Bit of a hard one this @Tim Moff. Due to both schemes carrying out their purpose outwith the subject area that would exclude them from this GB. If, however, it can be proved that either or both were also used for a few months within the area then I'd be happy to have them included. I think I've seen photos of the Red Flag scheme deployed to Gibralta and if the winter scheme, while temporary, was also used in Norway for a while then both will be good.

Thanks - yes the scheme was for Norway which at the time was part of the NATO Northern Flank commitment....I spent 5 winters in Norway as part of the AMF(L) (Allied Command Europe Mobile Force)  contingent . The brown scheme was also worn in the UK before and after the exercise as well as Gibraltar... hope that allows it!

• Like 2

Found this on Amazon and had no choice but to click 'buy'

512BjRAHrEL._SX347_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Definitely served in theatre - bases at Amderma and Archangelsk (Talagi), just need to find suitable 1:72 Bort number decals....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

Thanks - yes the scheme was for Norway which at the time was part of the NATO Northern Flank commitment....I spent 5 winters in Norway as part of the AMF(L) (Allied Command Europe Mobile Force)  contingent . The brown scheme was also worn in the UK before and after the exercise as well as Gibraltar... hope that allows it!

I'm happy to see a Buccaneer in either of these schemes within our GB Tim :D 

4 hours ago, IanHx said:

Found this on Amazon and had no choice but to click 'buy'

512BjRAHrEL._SX347_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Definitely served in theatre - bases at Amderma and Archangelsk (Talagi), just need to find suitable 1:72 Bort number decals....

Ooh nice. Been thinking of getting this book as well as it's had some good reviews.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2016 at 3:19 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

Snap on the LN Spock, guessing from the xtradecal sheet, any idea which one? Be nice if we chose different examples 

So I keep forgetting to look at home, but I found some pics of the decal sheet.  :bangin:

I will likely be building aircraft 65-659 & 66-502 as both are tagged as being from 1975, and are 2 slightly different camo schemes (tan is a different shade).  Both are LN birds.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, helios16v said:

So I keep forgetting to look at home, but I found some pics of the decal sheet.  :bangin:

I will likely be building aircraft 65-659 & 66-502 as both are tagged as being from 1975, and are 2 slightly different camo schemes (tan is a different shade).  Both are LN birds.

These sound an interesting pairing.

3 hours ago, Ale85 said:

I love this idea!

i have a British Phantom in my stash... o a Soviet MiG-21 with the red invasion stripes against the Czech uprising

ciao

Ale

Go with the British Phantom as I'm sure it will meet with popular approval around these parts...

1 hour ago, Pin said:

Wrong time period, it happened in 1968

...and save the MiG-21 for our 60's edition ;) 

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

I'm in too please Col. 

Pleasure to have you here my friend. What subjects are you thinking of?

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pin said:

Wrong time period, it happened in 1968

Yes i know. i made a mistake but when i realized it was too let to correct!

Too much wine in this period :D:D:D 

ciao

Ale

p.s. i confirm the Phantom!

• Like 1

Possibly something egg related for a start, then I'm not sure Col, but looking forward to it. Maybe a Bruggen Jaguar. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Possibly something egg related for a start, then I'm not sure Col, but looking forward to it. Maybe a Bruggen Jaguar. 

Ah cool! I'd certainly welcome a Bruggen Jag :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, rafalbert said:

Can I be added please?

You most certainly can :D 

I stopped adding names to the list ages ago once the GB was approved seeing as we are now in an informal 'phoney war' type stage sitting around chatting quietly while selecting subjects and waiting for it to all kick off. Once it does feel free to fire up a thread and getting cracking. Any ideas as to what you'll be doing?

Having taken inspiration from OldThumper, I am thinking of building the old Matchbox G-91Y, probably straight from the box. However, looking at my stash, this may change (or be added to!).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rafalbert said:

Having taken inspiration from OldThumper, I am thinking of building the old Matchbox G-91Y, probably straight from the box. However, looking at my stash, this may change (or be added to!).

An unusual and worthy subject I'd say. Know what you mean about the stash offering up too many options though :) 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2017 at 0:43 AM, helios16v said:

Interesting - I was born and bred in Lakenheath, and remember the F4Ds - with regards the 2 different tans, there is a story behind the 'greeny' paint that was used on some airframes rather than Tan. 

not the same airframe but it can be seen here.

http://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1131571/

Difference can be seen here:

F-4D%2065.648%20LN%20LKH%20c%2023.04.76_

Apparently it was an off batch of paint!  

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 2