Seaking Mk4 - Honour the 'King!

Good day to one and all, and welcome to, I believe, my first RFI for 2016! I know I have been slacking so I do apologise. I built this in the Helo GB but display it here for those that don't frequent that far down. This is the Seaking MK4 from the newly tooled Airfix offering. I opted to backdate it to around 1990 when I was on 846 as a wee apprentice causing havoc. This depicts a Sea King that we were going to take into Egypt post Ex Dragon Hammer 90 but she had a main lift frame crack so was sent back to the UK for repair. It was the first to be fitted with a sand filter and we arrived back in the UK literally a couple of weeks before the start of the first Gulf War. I didn't go for that though as I was still a young apprentice and had to finish my course first.

Now I must confess it turned out to be a bit of a half ars hearted build. First the decals in the kit don't provide for the stensiling of 25 years ago (jeeze that statement makes me feel old!) and I couldn't find anything anywhere! I had an old model decal sheet for a Seaking 3 that provided everything but it was yellow on a black background when it should just be yellow for this era. I also opted to do the mesh after the build was underway and I didn't do all of the mesh. Airfix do provide decals for all the applicable areas but this is black mesh and not green which would look a bit bizarre. If I do another I would cut out all areas, thin and then attach from behind.

So what are the good and bad about this kit? Interior cabin is reasonable and a little embellishment will bring it all out, the cabin seats are overscale and not correct, Revell are much better. Cockpit is ok, IP decals are a little garish, the drivers seats are very nice and a good representation. I didn't like the strake on the kit (the piece of angle iron stuck to the left upper side of the rear fuselage) but lived with it. Tail rotor is fine if a little simple (separate star would have been nice), Tail fold detail is simple but a good base, To me the overall shape is decent and the fit is very good but a little tight in some areas. There are a couple of dodgy panel lines but overall I like it. It looks like a MK4 so that's good enough for me. Would I do another? Probably not a Mk4 but if a 5 or 6 was released then definitely and then I would spend a lot more effort on it.

So the extras I added, scratched tail gust lock, tail fold detail, tips socks badly tied in to represent the 'snakes wedding' look of the real thing (never was a decent knot tier). Various handles and lashing rings added (but could have done more). Anti ice probes and OAT added to canopy. Rope from cotton, HF aerial from very fine rigging thread (it is there honest!), scratched main rotor swashplate and control rods, detail added to lower door steps, lots of lumps, bumps and holes removed/filled and finally a pee tube added inside. Painted with model master acrylics.

Edit: She is displayed with the Revell sand filter as the airfix one is too simplistic and looks hideous with those decals! The only disappointing area of the kit for me. So I think that is about it. Thanks for looking

Edit 2: She also has no number, I did apply one but it came off during handling so that is a 'follow up action!'

Bob

001_zpswlfgotpw.jpg

003_zps8ozaczpj.jpg

004_zpszm4ju4sm.jpg

005_zpsofun609w.jpg

006_zpsygmgpjdq.jpg

008_zpsd8emcjov.jpg

009_zpsedvgglyh.jpg

011_zps58vkjlve.jpg

012_zpsjyh74srx.jpg

And with her Belgian cousin

018_zpsloyqjurw.jpg

Finally a couple of shots of the real thing on HMS Intrepid, 1990 although the first one is VJ!

100_4117_zpstnyslita.jpg

100_4118_zps9fsycjxp.jpg

And ..... just don't ask!

100_4115_zpsnyxxaose.jpg

• Like 32

Very nice indeed,...`lovely jungly'.

Like yourself I was `in' during the 80`s & 90`s (but as a Pongo) and flew in them quite a few times but I seem to recall the troop seats being red back then,......am I just mistaken and getting mixed up with the Chinook and Herk which did have red seats? I was usually too knackered or busy to take in the colour of the seats if truth be told so if anybody `in the know' could confirm it for me I can get on and build my own model!

As I said your Junglie looks superb and the Belgique one is very nice too,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Superb workmanship... one of the best I've seen especially in 1/72.

Great old (ish) phots... never knew you junglies even had No8's although I guess camo was not allowed on pussers grey funnel line unless you were a booty !! 👍😉

• Like 1

Very nice build -thank you for posting. I'm keen to try one and have the resin & etched sandbox from airwaves(?) somewhere in my stash. Doubt. I'll get as good a result as yours though.

I remember getting a ride in a super sea stallion into Cagliari (just before the World Cup) in 1990 whilst serving on to the Intrepid as well as a trip in one of the embarked Junglies - happy days when a trip to the Med in the Navy was still fun, Glad I'm not on Cougar this year!

• Like 1

Beautiful work, love the detailing of the tail fold and the tip socks. Personally I love the new HC.4 kit, but I wholeheartedly agree that the sand filter is crap!

Need to get my finger out and finish mine.

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 1

. Personally I love the new HC.4 kit, but I wholeheartedly agree that the sand filter is crap!

Rgds,

Eng

I wonder if Hannant`s will re release the old Xtrabits resin and etched sand filter,....it was really good and would be just right for the Airfix kit?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments everyone, but the more I look the more I see missing. Just seen some rear view mirrors being fitted to another build :doh: but then again just how far should one go!

Very nice indeed,...`lovely jungly'.

Like yourself I was `in' during the 80`s & 90`s (but as a Pongo) and flew in them quite a few times but I seem to recall the troop seats being red back then,......am I just mistaken and getting mixed up with the Chinook and Herk which did have red seats? I was usually too knackered or busy to take in the colour of the seats if truth be told so if anybody `in the know' could confirm it for me I can get on and build my own model!

As I said your Junglie looks superb and the Belgique one is very nice too,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, but I am afraid that your memory maybe clouding over slightly. As far as I know the seats have always been kind of blue, like the Wessex and Whirlwind before. The good ole Air Force had the bright coloured (and more comfortable I'd wager) seats.

never knew you junglies even had No8's although I guess camo was not allowed on pussers grey funnel line unless you were a booty !!

Pussers grey funnel line rules, but once off there and onto the RFA Sir Galahad it was off to pretend we were all booties, although not as good.

I wonder if Hannant`s will re release the old Xtrabits resin and etched sand filter,....it was really good and would be just right for the Airfix kit?

Cheers

Tony

That would be a better option, or just replace the panels with etch, compared to the Revell version it is very poor!

Very nice build -thank you for posting. I'm keen to try one and have the resin & etched sandbox from airwaves(?) somewhere in my stash. Doubt. I'll get as good a result as yours though.

I remember getting a ride in a super sea stallion into Cagliari (just before the World Cup) in 1990 whilst serving on to the Intrepid as well as a trip in one of the embarked Junglies - happy days when a trip to the Med in the Navy was still fun, Glad I'm not on Cougar this year!

That's the same time as I was on the Intrepid, however just after we left Cagliari we shifted over to the Sir Galahad and went off to Egypt. I did go through my old phots and discovered these, wonder if its the same Sea Stallion?

004_zpspwiygs0x.jpg

008_zpsxe61wurp.jpg

And the only decent view of Cagliari that I got!

003_zpsbwtu3rig.jpg

Cheers now

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin