1/72 Airfix Spitfire F Mk. 22 603 Squadron 1951 UPDATED

Here is my Airfix Spitfire F Mk.22 finished today. My build rate is painfully slow and finished kits are rare as hen's teeth so when I found myself last weekend wife and family free I thought I would see if I could get this done before they came home. In the end I failed to meet my self-imposed deadline but I still managed to complete it in less than a week.

I thought the kit itself was great and any problems were of my own making. It went together really well and was built OOB with just an Eduard etch harness added.The only fly in this ointment was the poor quality of the clear sprue which was full of bubbles and neither of the canopies was useable with one of them badly short shot. The canopy is the better of the two and is temporarily fitted until a replacement arrives from Airfix.

Overall, I'm happy with the results although there are several issues which prevent me from being totally satisfied but as I said, they were all of my own doing.

done2_zpszqq9ipia.jpg

done1_zps1n9ez0p8.jpg

done3_zpsqejci6fh.jpg

done4_zpst2dt2jzr.jpg

done5_zpsjit2e9t0.jpg

done11_zpstcvzktw0.jpg

done10_zps02psnv3d.jpg

done8_zpsucgwqoge.jpg

done12_zpsbyze504s.jpg

Thanks for looking. WIP here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235000594-spitfire-f-mk-22-can-i-build-it-in-a-day-fail/

Edited by dadgaddad
  • Like 27

Love it! Did one of these a few years back when it was first released and had the issue with the canopy... Ended up adapting a spare from a trashed Fujimi kit.

• Like 1

I'm going to have to get meself another of these and do one either OOB or a 610 RAFVR kite.

I have two of 'em already,one 95% done as a Seaf.F.46,the other 80% converted to a Seaf.FR.47.

It looks great Dagga,just barely weathered so it looks used,but not OTT.That wouldn't fit with a VR kite.

Nice one.

• Like 1

I found you on recommendation from 'The Spadgent' whilst we were discussing camouflage masking techniques. Perhaps not much camouflage masking in this lovely silver Spitfire?

I agree that the weathering is very nice; tasteful and not overdone. It looks just right.

Superb model :)

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

I found you on recommendation from 'The Spadgent' whilst we were discussing camouflage masking techniques. Perhaps not much camouflage masking in this lovely silver Spitfire?

I agree that the weathering is very nice; tasteful and not overdone. It looks just right.

Superb model :)

Best regards

Tony

Cheers, Tony. It was fun to do despite the lack of masking. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The spares arrived today in their little brown Airfix box. With great excitement I opened it only to find a perfect clear sprue from a Boston! A quick call to the spares dept. later and the correct parts should be on their way. It just means a slightly longer wait until it's finally finished. :weep:

Edited by dadgaddad

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I got another of these kits so the first thing I did was to check the clear parts. Fortunately they look fine so I'll rob the open canopy for this one and build the other closed. Pics soon.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, for something that was supposed to be finished quickly it's taken a very long time to get here but she is finally done. The replacement parts never arrived from Airfix :wall: so in the end I had no option but to buy another kit and use one of the canopies. You may also remember the prop decals went off on a little adventure of their own so I am very grateful to Rafwaffe who sent me some replacements. Finally I made an aerial from a piece of guitar string and a pitot tube out of stretched sprue to replace the one that vanished at some point.

Anyway, here she is in her final form. I'm calling this one definately, definately done!

P1010372_zpswhsep6pt.jpg

P1010367_zpsuf03hzim.jpg

Edited by dadgaddad
  • Like 3

You ended up with a nice Mk. 22 after all the trials and tribulations and it makes a nice change from all the earlier marks we see. We certainly had to wait a long time for the penultimate Spitfire and when I get around to mine, I can finally retire the one I built from an ancient Hawk kit half a lifetime ago.

Well done, Trev.

• Like 1

You ended up with a nice Mk. 22 after all the trials and tribulations and it makes a nice change from all the earlier marks we see. We certainly had to wait a long time for the penultimate Spitfire and when I get around to mine, I can finally retire the one I built from an ancient Hawk kit half a lifetime ago.

Well done, Trev.

Cheers, Trev.

I really like these late model Spitfires, especially in the silver finish. I'll probably do the other one in the racing colours.