Tamiya Yamaha YZF R1, my first bike model....

I normally build aircraft (Currently building an Etihad Boeing 777-300ER). For a change I thought I would try a bike, namely one of Tamiya's models as I've heard some great comments about there fit and finish.

I picked this up on eBay quite cheaply, it will be a relatively basic build with no aftermarket parts to see how I get on. I've just bought one of the Ducati 1199 kits which I'll invest in some aftermarket add on for it, I've already ordered the "Senna" decals and paint.

image_278.jpeg

I looked over the kit, quite impressed with it compared to some of the ill fitting aircraft builds I've done. Don't get me started about the Revell Eurocopter ADAC build that's just been relegated to the shelf of doom.

First off, what's with the absolutely horrible fake chrome parts. The last time I looked an R1 didn't have much chrome on it.

It's disgusting, I wouldn't mind if it looked real but it's fake.....

image_279.jpeg

Anyway nothing a 5 min dip in some household bleach wouldn't solve, yep it only took 5 mins. Thankfully after a quick wash in water removed all the bleach and remaining stuck chrome.

image_280.jpeg

• Like 3

The early R1's did have brushed ally frames but yes, Tamiya did overcook it somewhat...good kit though.

I'd recommend the Hobby Design detail kit for the Panigale, even though I've not used any of it yet. Too busy drooling all over it! :)

Edited by vontrips
  • Like 1

The early R1's did have brushed ally frames but yes, Tamiya did overcook it somewhat...good kit though.

I'd recommend the Hobby Design detail kit for the Panigale, even though I've not used any of it yet. Too busy drooling all over it! :)

Yeh I've been drooling over Hobby Design stuff as well, you could spend a fortune on stuff. Mind you I'm not going anywhere near their chain kit, I think that would drive you insane.

The rear fairing again I'm impressed with the fit and finish. Before I started this kit, I watched Tony's Yamaha Rossi build on eModels channel on YouTube where I picked up loads of tips, one of which was don't follow the order of the instructions to the letter.

image_283.jpeg

The frame parts attached along with the rear fairing. This is the first kit I've used Tamiya "Thin", how the hell have I managed so far with my other builds without using this stuff. It's amazing, really recommend it.

image_281.jpeg

Edited by Dunter1969
  • Like 1

The frame given a nice coat of Ultimate Airbrush White Primer. Just prior to this build I bought a compressor which came with a cheap airbrush, suffice to say it was absolutely sh@te to say the least. Cue much grovelling to the wifey who eventually succumbed to my constant asking, where I purchased a lovely Iwata Revolution CR which is awesome.

image_285.jpeg

The frame was then given a nice coating of Tamiya X-18 Semi Gloss Black.

image_291.jpeg

I then taped off the rear fairing (In hindsight I should have painted them separately) and gave the frame a nice coating of Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminium, I then unmasked the fairing, and gave it several coats of Alclad ALC600 Aqua Gloss. Ive never really got on with Johnstons Kleer, but although it's very similar I seem to be able to get a good result with the Alclad.

I then gave it a nice pin wash to bring out some of the details. It's much lighter in real life.

image_295.jpeg

image_296.jpeg

The finish I think is better than the chrome, although the Tamiya Aluminium is a bit heavy flaked, I've now bought some Vallejo Alumium which appears much finer for any future builds. Again it looks a lot better in real life, the photos really don't do it justice.

Edited by Dunter1969
  • Like 2

Next up is the engine, again Tamiya Thin glue made this an absolute breeze. I decided to paint some of the parts separate then attach them as I go on.

The basic unpainted engine.

image_282.jpeg

After its coat of white primer

image_287.jpeg

image_288.jpeg

The carbs also in white primer.

image_286.jpeg

Next up I gave the engine a coat of Tamiya XF-56 Metalic Grey, this will start as a base coat, from which I added in on various sections Tamiya X-11 Chrome Silver and Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminium.

I then painted the various black sections Tamiya X-18 Semi Gloss Black.

I then gave it a couple of coats of Aqua Gloss, did some washes then gave it another couple of coats of Aqua Gloss.

image_293.jpeg

image_294.jpeg

I'm not going for the straight out of showroom condition, but a bike that although in good condition has been used.

Hope you like it so far.

Edited by Dunter1969
  • Like 5

Hello,Dave - Thank you for the 'heads up' on this one.It's great to hear from you.A fine diversion from the aircraft production indeed.I love motorbikes and I know this project will be a pleasure to follow.The engine looks superb.I haven't tried my hand at building a motorbike model up to press and I know your work will provide plenty of inspiration.Happy Fettling!! ;) All the very best,Paul.

Edited by mcdonnell

Next I built up the rear subframe, again I striped the horrible chrome off, coated it with Tamiya X-18, followed by a coat of Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminium. It was then given a couple of coats of Alclad ALC 600 Aqua Clear, before some slight washes, followed by a couple more coats of Aqua Clear.

The rear wheel guard (I haven't a clue the right name for it), was then primer and given several coats of Tamiya X-7 Gloss Red, and again followed up by several coats of Aqua Gloss.

I also painted the chain guard Tamiya XF-85, it wasn't until after I took this photo I realised I hadn't painted several parts of the chain guard.

image_297.jpeg

• Like 2

I then started on the various parts of the rear assembly.

First up the chain and the rear sprocket, this was painted in various Tamiya's silvers and greys, given the obligatory wash and coating of Aqua Clear

image_300.jpeg

Next the rear brakes, first of Tamiya Flat Aluminium, then the calliper was given a coat of Tamiya X-10 Gun Metal. The piston tops were given a coat of Tamiya X-23 Clear Blue

image_298.jpeg

Edited by Dunter1969
  • Like 2

The rear suspension was the built up, again various Tamiya silvers and greys were used, along with Humbrol Gloss Yellow for spring.

image_299.jpeg

The rear wheel and brake disc was assembled, I drilled out all those tiny blinking holes. The wheel was painted in Tamiya Semi Gloss Black and given a coat of Aqua Gloss.

image_301.jpeg

• Like 2

And all built up, as the chain is supposed to be put on prior to the assemble of the rear subframe, which is a pain, I left it off then after it was all painted, I split the chain near the rear sprocket, you'd never notice this.

Quite please with the result.

image_303.jpeg

image_302.jpeg

Edited by Dunter1969
  • Like 2

I then attached it to the frame, it's started to look like a bike now. Again for the pipes I inserted thin jewellery wire which makes routing the pipe a doddle.

Again I hope you like it.

image_304.jpeg

image_306.jpeg

image_307.jpeg

Edited by Dunter1969
  • Like 3

That's the front fork assembly now completed, again it went together as it should.

Note the mistake which has now been rectified, yeh I put one of the fork brackets (I think that's what it's called) upside down. Noticed it before the glue set.

image_329.jpeg

The exhaust all finished, I tried the fake carbon look which although looked well ok, it wasn't good enough, so I used the decal, which to my surprise went on without any problems.

image_330.jpeg

image_332.jpeg

image_331.jpeg

• Like 3

Cheers guys for the multitude of comments, liking and encouraging me on with this build.........I really must do a "mega buck" Poacher build sometime........

Anyway on with my lonesome build that's the tank seat area built, painted and slapped into place.

image_338.jpeg

image_339.jpeg

image_340.jpeg

Edited by Dunter1969
  • Like 2

I then went on to building together the handle bars and piping

image_343.jpeg

image_344.jpeg

image_345.jpeg

Next was the front canopy area, being a non biker I haven't the foggiest what it's called.

Anyway here it is in all its glory

image_346.jpeg

Edited by Dunter1969
  • Like 2

Hi Dave (may I call you Dave?!)

Having been alerted to this thread by your other post over on the chat forum, I thought I'd wander over and have a look at the R1!

It is a great kit, isn't t?! I am sadly now an ex-biker, having sold my Ducati 848 Evo Sport SE last year after trying to see how fast it would go... Sorry, what was your day job again?! ;) Seriously, though, fast sports bikes and young families rarely go well together so I now have fun in my re-mapped BMW 330D.... :doh: Oh well, just don't tell your French colleagues!

Anyway, the bike looks great so far and the chain / sprocket looks very good indeed with just the right amount of dirtiness about it. Most bikers look after their hardware to a greater degree than the average motorist.

There are two areas that immediately caught my eye that could, if you wanted to continue with bike / car building, be improved to get a more realistic finish. My choice of finish for the frame would have been from the Alclad II range of metallics, which as you probably know, are a much finer metallic flake and allow for very realistic metallic finishes. I'd go for Polished Aluminium over a glass black undercoat for a R1 frame.

The paintwork on the nose fairing is really nice, but there has been a slight bleed under the masking tape where you've sprayed the red over the white. Next time, before spraying the darker colour, cut the masking tape lengthways with a metal ruler and scalpel. The manufacturers edge is never as neat as a freshly cut one. After applying the tape, spray a little of the lighter colour (white in this case) along the edge of the masking tape. This seals the demarkation and any bleeding of paint underneath will be the same colour. I was amazed at how sharp on edge you can get using this method.

If you want to throw a bit of cash at these Tamiya bikes, there are after market fork sets available that are anodised aluminium. They are a bit costly, but make a huge difference to that area. Also available are etched sets that really do get the brake discs looking right and on-scale. Should you really want to go to town, then Top Studio do etched and turned metal chains, but that's just bonkers!

Finally, I always used to use the supplied plastic piping for the brake / clutch cables etc. But a little look around the garage revealed lots of finer black cable that looks more to scale. The stuff that Tamiya supply is about 1.2mm thick, scaling that up means a brake cable would be 1.5 cm thick, when in reality they are about half that.

I really hope the above helps Dave, you've done a great job on your first bike and although there's not many of us about, there are a few of us that jump across the different genres and like to dabble in other modelling subjects.

I'm looking forward to the next one! Ducati with Senna decals?!

Oh, and definitely finally, the best paints for the motorsport enthusiast are certainly Zero Paints from Steve at Hiroboy here.

Hope to see more of your work and all the very best from France!

• Like 4

Spurred on by your chat post I just checked out the build,funny as a biker for many years I,ve never modelled them since the old Airfix kits now

long gone from the scene,anyway superb work on the Yamaha you might have inspired me to build one soon(sorry it would have to be a Suzuki)! :winkgrin:

• Like 1