Aaaargh it's an Airfix Focke-Wulf Fw109 A-8 in 1/72 scale Birthday challenge!

Hey guys.

Being a sucker for punishment I have decided to jump straight into another work in progress build. Watching quite a few of you building at 1/72 scale got me itching to have a go and see what all the fuss was about. Luckily for me a friend at work bought me this for my birthday.

4F067FD5-DCDA-4D3D-AEEF-D415B5A82D5B_zpst5psyz4r

He is constantly ribbing me about my "Airfix" ( I tend to build Tamiya ) kits and I think he bought it as a bit of a joke. I promptly opened the glossy box with free paint and brush and was taken aback by the quality of this little beauty. Needless to say I had to scratch my 1/72 itch and prove to my doubting work colleague that this will get built and not left on the shelf. A Birthday challenge if you will. :D

So moving swiftly on here are the sprews layed out in all their glory.

3D177220-E53C-40E1-8C79-E18BEF558B29_zpse4qnd4zo

The paint guide is a little lacklustre as it expects you to use the four(count em) paints provided so I might go for a different scheme. Maybe this..

01AA44DA-24E6-47D1-B4D8-EBA2BE07CED9_zpsloqlqz49

Or this?

6B668081-CA56-4E47-A97E-D2EA6E97D0FA.png_zpsixsgrh4e

Not sure yet but it's going to be a whole heap of fun finding out where this one goes. Hope you enjoy the build as much as I will.

Until next time.

John. :D

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2

Straight into the next build aye? And willingly into the world of 1/72... have you gone to see a doctor about that head injury :D

This kit looks very good, I want to build a FW-190 but I was eyeing up the Eduard kit instead. The Airfix one is well reviewed though and one of their newer new tools so hopefully it'll go together well, just don't expect Tamiya precision.

I'll be interested to see how you go... Prepare for a new level of fiddlyness :D

• Like 1

Thanks guys. :D I'm feeling the 1/72 love already. Imagine the seat belts?? :o

I had a go at the cockpit last night with a hairy stick and instantly missed my airbrush. I'll see how it looks when I'm back from work.

Hopefully like this.

3FECCA45-718F-4939-BD2B-212A7761215B_zps60htletl

Maybe not quite eh. ;)

John.

Edited by The Spadgent

Can't keep a good man down! Good luck on this one John.

Thanks! It's partly your fault I'm building this one.(well at this scale) Btw I'm loving it so far. :D

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

The whole family seems to have fallen ill it's like a doctors waiting room I swear it. 😫 On a positive slant I got a few hours last at the bench last night after everyone had gone to bed. 😎 I really wasn't happy with the look the hairy stick had left and to be fair the size was tiny compared to what I'm used to. See. Mini I tells ya. 🙃

14B111DF-736F-4432-9D1C-32884B1C6860_zps0jlmcxdt

The hairy stick job looked washy and dark. The dull aluminium under coat on the seat looked ok though.

FFE35B0F-00A7-45F0-B432-ECC8B7E9E32C_zpsvvanpgfs

I decided to go air brush to lighten everything up a bit and get a nice even coat. I went at the chair to add some wear and tear. Things were feeling a little better to my eyes. 😅

637A929F-8841-4C86-B4C9-3B04C545A015_zpse8krqlky

I had a terrible attempt at doing a wash with thinned down acrylic. Big mistake. 😕 I should have waited for the post man. 😫 I didn't take any pics as it was late and I had work the next day, so off to bed I went. Grumble slump. 😖

Don't worry it all gets better. Just got to put the kids to bed. Gimmie 20 mins. 😀

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 3

That's a great kit, enjoy!

I hear that some heretics are spreading falsehoods about the existence of other scales than 1/72?! What is the Holy Inquisition doing?

Have a lot of fun and purchase a head loupe!

JR

• Like 3

That's a great kit, enjoy!

I hear that some heretics are spreading falsehoods about the existence of other scales than 1/72?! What is the Holy Inquisition doing?

Have a lot of fun and purchase a head loupe!

JR

I know. There's a 1/32 Tomcat in the wings, I'm sure I'd burn for uttering such blasphemy. 🔥 Really enjoying this baby though. I thing the goggles can wait. My eyes are still pretty nifty. Well I hope. 😳 😀😀 Edited by The Spadgent

Ok, kids are in bed. Woot. 😀

Where was I? Oh yes I'd done some crappy attempt at a wether wash (seems to always be my trouble) this time with watered down acrylic. It looked bad the next day too so I sprayed over it and waited for...........

0F4088DC-96F1-418C-BCBD-845F017EE980_zpsehyuheez

Phil's advice to get some washes was just too tempting. I couldn't choose which to get so as a birthday gift to myself I got the box set. 😍

Any hoo I really couldn't wait to give em a blast so..... To the cave. 💃

I had made some seat belts ( I know 😬 ) Last night to make myself feel better and quickly fitted them before trying out the washes. Here are the results.

4373F3CD-1799-4F69-9041-30E2C3190207_zpsyl1evlut0495CDAD-69A3-4D66-ADA7-DCF799933E7A_zpsuouluz1z

0E13DBCF-E859-43C6-89E3-39F022654D31_zps1apf2cwc

The last two pics look a bit dark, the actual colours are more akin to the first one but either way I'm a lot happier now than I was last night. Wish I had have taken photos now so you could have seen. A right old pigs ear. 🐷

That is where we are at the mo. Really looking forward to getting more of the big bits painted so I can use more weather wash. 🌧☀️🌩 Just have to pick a scheme, I might just go with the box one with better paints as the decals will at least match.

That's all from me. Hope you're enjoying the build? I know I am.

Until next time.

John. 🙃

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 8

Interested to see how you get on with this one John - and welcome to 'the Gentleman's Scale' (allegedly) :)

'The Gentleman's Scale' eh? Would that be followed by 'something for the weekend sir?' :D

Great looking office there John, you realise I'm going to have to buy one of these now?

Edited by Phil Lewis
  • Like 4

I'll be watching how you get on with them Flory washes John. What was the set you got? I suspect this thread will lead me further into penury....

'The Gentleman's Scale' eh? Would that be followed by 'something for the weekend sir?' :D

'Gentleman's Scale': doesn't respond to penicillin and your partner gets curious about your absences.

• Like 3

I'll be watching how you get on with them Flory washes John. What was the set you got? I suspect this thread will lead me further into penury....

'Gentleman's Scale': doesn't respond to penicillin and your partner gets curious about your absences.

You can get them from the flory site.

http://www.florymodels.co.uk/washes/

They're a bit expensive but work out a little cheaper if you get the set of 8.

Sorry if that hole in your pocket gets bigger because of this. 😬🛩💸

• Like 1

Hey Airfix you know those parts? They're meant to fit together. 😫

After the joy of pit I decided to dry fit the fuselage. Gaps ahoy!

327953B3-C54B-4B4B-A5C1-1639DF50631B_zpsewzd5nqa

No probs I'll give it some plasto and a sand easy.🙈

B09C9802-3644-449E-A56A-521AB5F10FF1_zpsiimd4yec

Then I glued on the sight thing. The instructions looked like you just glued it in the middle. Hmmm the middle.😳

67291A4A-55A6-47F2-948D-51D8FE6ECC70_zpsqgfshet0

I painted the inside of the fuselage and gave it a wash, all looking good.

D22E2863-A19C-45DA-9484-C224824FCB10_zpsm3sy3ay6

Decided to fit the pit, it's all moving very smoothly.

29501662-A1D3-4571-ABAE-086CB90687A1_zpslrmsx0rn

Ahh look the sight thing has to be on the right then. Doh! So off it came and moved it over a little. 😑

8F317A93-7E8F-460F-9243-70D5C03BCC8B_zpshlw3z27j

Then simply fit the other side. 😬😬 At this point it all went a bit bobbins. Once again no time for pics as I was in full "oh crap" mode. The other side of the fuselage just didn't fit, so I went at the cockpit with the scalpel but no good.😫😫. The only thing for it was to prise off the one fuselage side I had glued and see what was going on.

The cut and thrust is I have no idea?? The two halves fit together but adding the pit made them, well, not. 😑 So after hacking away at it and trying to find what was causing the trouble I decided to come at it from a different angle. 🤓

FCE8321E-1B8F-4DF5-BB50-5EDD8651CBC6_zpsnotmyuie

I decided to glue the rear end together and try and slide the pit in from underneath. This worked ok but I couldn't get a peg on to hold it so used tape, Which fetched off some paint, 😫 Holy moley. Any way after much dotting of weather wash and peg wrangling this is where I left it. The front half is a mile off but it will fit if you squeeze it so let's hope the rear glue holds tomorrow.

I'm off to get a BIG glass at red and sit in front of the fire. 🍷🍷🍷 aaaand calm.

Johnny.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 5

Ahh I see you're enjoying some lovely 1/72 fit issues...

My experience with Airfix cockpits has been distressingly similar. I'd keep at fettling the front bulkhead edges away. It's likely also having issues slotting into the groove in the sidewall. You could try opening that up or sanding the back of the bulkhead?

Or just pray to the gods of modelling and muscle it into submission with plenty of glue... and then you'll find your front glazing may not fit properly...

Keep at it, looking good so far.

• Like 1

Ahh I see you're enjoying some lovely 1/72 fit issues...

My experience with Airfix cockpits has been distressingly similar. I'd keep at fettling the front bulkhead edges away. It's likely also having issues slotting into the groove in the sidewall. You could try opening that up or sanding the back of the bulkhead?

Or just pray to the gods of modelling and muscle it into submission with plenty of glue... and then you'll find your front glazing may not fit properly...

Keep at it, looking good so far.

I was loving your comments until you mentioned glazing. Hells bells. I'll check that tomorrow as I'd opted for the muscle option. 👍🍷
  • Like 1

'Britmodeller in fuselage squeezing scandal' That cockpit issue looks a right Focke.

Possibly a daft idea - by that I mean something I would do with misguided enthusiasm so treat this cautiously - but would briefly immersing the front half of the fuselage in boiling water (just enough to make it pliable in the long axis without deforming the vertical curvature) help in bringing the front end together for gluing? Just a thought - and possibly an unwise one - so maybe search the forum under keywords like 'Oh God' and 'Boiling water issues' first...

• Like 1

'Britmodeller in fuselage squeezing scandal' That cockpit issue looks a right Focke.

Possibly a daft idea - by that I mean something I would do with misguided enthusiasm.

I love misguided enthusiasm! I had forgotten about your boiling water technique, next time I'm trying that one out instead of mindlessly hacking at a recently painted part. On a more sure footing though I checked this morning and the "Mountain" of glue I applied to the underside of the pit has held firm. 😍

I test fitted the clear parts and after a good squeeze, glue and peg, will fit. 😃 "Don't quote me on that" 🙈 I'll post up later as I think I'm bench bound tonight. It's white over. 😬🌨☃

See y'all later.

John.

Edited by The Spadgent

I admire your persistence and think the pit itself looks great! I think I am gong to have to get one of these kits to see what this fit problem is all about and if there is an easy fix.

Martin

• Like 1