A Hunter from Fife *Finished*

The title of this thread sounds like it should be part of the first line of a limerick...

There once was a Hunter from Fife...

Oh nice build by the way :)

...who had trouble with his buxom Wife,

DB

Oi! This isn't four seven word story you know. Get on with some model making :fuhrer:

• Like 1

Kallisti, I ain't going there :shutup:

With limited modelling time available today I concentrated on tidying up the underside, namely the seams and some rescribing. (Looks a bit rough close up, hopefully will look better under some primer?)

6B8C5332-C0BA-47E8-BE14-54B0CC841B30_zps

6BB0E3B5-5F58-4E0A-947B-93ADA66CBE43_zps

61A4747A-0753-4740-9EC1-CDACE82A563D_zps

I used medium thickness superglue which I ran into and around the joints and sanded back once hardened off. Next up will be sorting out the wingtips as apparently the early Hunter's ones were slightly different, I might revisit the position of those inner ejector holes too. I'll potter around with some other bits and pieces but won't be able to get the wings on until after the Aberdeen club night as Col has a set of vac formed intake ducts for me.

Now back to that Limerick....

Duncan B

• Like 5

The title of this thread sounds like it should be part of the first line of a limerick...

There once was a Hunter from Fife...

...who had trouble with his buxom Wife,

DB

He went after her with a large knife,

And is now serving 10 years to life!

• Like 4

With major work on the Revell Hunter stalled until I get the intakes from Col I thought I'd have a look at the PJ Production Hunter partly to check the shape of the wingtips (as it was moulded as an F4) and to see if I could progress it.

First thing I noticed was that the wing appeared to have more sweep than the Revell kit and the drawings...

B3871A5C-3652-4C1D-BAAA-07D1A17622C6_zps

...so then I checked the fuselage against the drawings.

23F2117A-98BF-40DA-9D53-4C742BD28C33_zps

Oh dear, 1/72 scale it may say on the box but 1/72 scale it doesn't appear to be so that's an end to making that. I also have their NF Meteor which is a beautifully moulded kit but I'm now worried that it might not be accurate scale wise, I'll have to drag it out of the stash to check.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Yeah, like "what if I throw it in the bin" kind of What If?

I found your "B'Day" present by the way, I'll bring it on Tuesday.

DB

I was thinking more along the lines of the delta-winged P.1091 (F3/48) but if you're throwing it anywhere feel free to make it in my direction ;)

How many sets of those intake trunking do you need?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My Javelin is finished so it'll be back to the Hunter tomorrow (if I can remember what I was doing with it!).

I've just had to read through this thread to remind myself what I was doing, it was an F6 of 4FTS wasn't it?

Duncan B

• Like 1

I'm back, did you miss me? Don't be rude, you in the back.

Firstly proof that the Hunter is back on the table.

7DC4033D-AB97-4D44-9F22-8F04A5AF7643_zps

Back in the mists of time I'd paused to await delivery of some of Col's plunge formed intake inserts, I only had to wait a couple of days but got carried away on another project for a month. Anyhow here are the aforementioned inserts and my attempt to ruin them in the process of fitting them. I know how Col fitted them by fairing them into the intake lip but that was far too fiddly for me so I hacked and bashed them in instead, they'll do for me.

4CE4C42D-C6E0-456F-85AF-C766FF4813DB_zps

With a slap of paint they'll look fine from the front.

DF978ED2-6ED0-4574-9E2C-DD81E2459231_zps

I'm waiting for the glue to set on those so I can trim the edge closest to the fuselage so it's time to turn my attention back to the F1's airbrake. as discussed previously (I think?) we know the fixed portion (Hinge) of the airbrake is smaller on the F6 and onward (Except for the T birds that retained the early style as they were reworked F4s, but you all knew that anyway). I've sanded off the hinge detail and now need to rescribe the hinge line onto the petal but when comparing the Revell airbrake to scale plans for the F1 and F6 I find this...

...firstly the F1

EF930AAC-80E0-47C0-B040-D359129223CB_zps

5105C8D5-5188-47E9-BDD3-B817EAFF42EA_zps

...and the F6

FDDB9323-8460-434F-997D-EA55B22EC840_zps

FB0BDD59-1C53-4FAF-8D71-727D6479F5C6_zps

These are BM's very own StephenMG's plans from the MDF book so I'm sure they will be accurate (but comparing the airbrake to other plans it's still too short anyway). It looks like Revell have moulded the complete airbrake too short (I've only sanded off the raised hinge detail not removed any length).

So what to do? I know Col has modified the Revell airbrake on some of his builds but has he accounted for the length issue? Will anyone notice if I cheat and just scribe the hinge line onto the petal? Does anyone care anyway? I guess I'll just bash on like normal and let someone else worry about it.

Duncan B

Looking at those drawings again it looks like Revell got the shape of the petal wrong for an F6 too, it looks more like the shape of the F1 petal, hmmm curiouser and curiouser!

• Like 5

Will anyone notice if I cheat and just scribe the hinge line onto the petal?

Duncan B

We will now. :winkgrin:

Good to see this up and running again Duncan. I'm sure it will look great once you have finished it.

• Like 2

Had a little accident?

Just a little extra plastic welding around the wing root!

I was attempting to wipe off the excess filler with a cotton bud dipped in thinners, my usual method, however I'd dipped it in the wrong jar so removed the filler and started modifying the contour of the plastic too. A light sanding once the plastic was less plastic sorted it out but ended any thoughts of more modelling for the day.

Today I'm going to attempt a little scratch building! :frantic:

DB

• Like 2

Hi all,

I haven't been around here much lately so I (somehow) managed to completely miss this!

The airbrake and the undercarriage are the worst parts of an otherwise excellent kit from Revell. As well as being a touch short, they also forgot the actuator completely. When I built an F.1 for the last Hunter STGB I cut a slot for the actuator, reshaped the hinge area and extended the brake itself with a thin piece of plastic card.

F1tail.jpg

As for the little-known difference between the early and later style, compare the following two photos to see it best,

Early,

Hunter-airbrake-early.jpg

Later,

Hunter-airbrake-late.jpg

I hope that helps.

Mark

• Like 5

Mark, that helps immensely as it's difficult to get the actual shape from drawings. I think I might have scalloped the front edge of the airbrake too much but I'll fix that.

Duncan B

With the encouragement of having Mark's photos I decided to tackle the airbrake modifications. I'd already scalloped the airbrake petal but I'd taken it too far, more akin to the F6 than the F1 so I had to rebuild it using putty.

While the putty was hardening I tried reshaping some quarter circle Evergreen strip, not easy to photograph but here it is. I've still to shape the fixed part where it will fit the petal and to shorten it but the cross section is getting there.

583B7416-2E08-4E01-B2DE-E846B0A8D076_zps

98ED82A7-8DC2-43B5-A8E6-6CB3D7154630_zps

This is what I'm aiming for, this is an F2 but the airbrake is the same.

BED1E16B-D8FC-4E61-ACDB-ADF63087335F_zps

You can see the slot for the airbrake ram in that photo too so I thought I'd better incorporate that. I chain drilled a series of 0.75mm holes then cleaned up the corners with a sharp blade. The 'extra' hole (or cock up as we in the trade call them) was filled.

31BB6D8C-C268-4B3B-A887-952326DB3BCB_zps

FC9BFD2D-3409-4EED-A789-3ED81E2137BC_zps

I've applied a coat of primer, in this case I thought I'd try the Ultimate Primer and it went on well enough but I had to keep unclogging my 0.5mm nozzle.

AA318BB6-E426-4FFF-8130-40D7D4CA5FF4_zps

0CF27433-DAD2-45A0-A774-5882ECEEC80A_zps

....and just to prove to Col that at least one of my Phantoms is still making slow progress, I'll be painting this one in DSG/DG at the same time as the Hunter.

C970A0C9-B32F-44A5-BA6A-3729D36867FC_zps

Duncan B

• Like 7

Mark, that helps immensely as it's difficult to get the actual shape from drawings. I think I might have scalloped the front edge of the airbrake too much but I'll fix that.

Duncan B

Glad to be of help. Great work on the model so far! :thumbsup:

• Like 1