A Hunter from Fife *Finished*

As much as I enjoy watching other people work, particularly on Group Builds, I've never been able to get fully into the spirit of it (working and group builds before you ask!). However I made a commitment to this one so here I am, lets see if I can get something finished within the allotted timescale.

I had agreed with Col that I could build my PJ Production F4 which I had started many years ago but never got past gluing the cockpit into one of the fuselage halves but there are some complications with this scheme that have made me think again. Firstly it's a resin kit which needs a little more patience and time to complete, obviously not good for someone working against the clock who takes a time to build anything anyway. Then there is the fact that the kit came with a chunk of wingtip missing which will need careful repairs so all that adds up to a refusal at the first fence. :hobbyhorse:

Instead I've dived deep into the stash and hauled out one of my Revell Hunters and some of the AM goodies hidden within (it was like Christmas all over again as I discovered things long since forgotten buried in there, a bit like some old Viking hoard buried in the garden).

Yes, I'm rambling on a bit, it's all part of the procrastination technique that I use to put off having to actually do anything and has served me well all these years. With no further ado here's the first photo and then maybe the plan.

IMG_0089_zps3482kejf.jpg

Obviously that's only part of the proposed stash as I haven't taken photos of the Decal sheets or reference books yet but the basic plan maybe is as follows:

Option one, build out of the box and paint up as a 43 Sqn F6 from RAF Leuchars in 1959, the most obvious and straight forward option for actually getting something finish.

Option two, build it using one of the conversion sets I have and back date it to an F4 of either 222 Sqn or 43 Sqn RAF Leuchars, a bit more involved but doable.

Option three, do the same as Option two but call it an F1 of 43 or 222 Sqn from RAF Leuchars.

So whatever happens at least we can say it will be a Hunter from Fife. I was going to say something stupid like if I finish this one with time to spare then maybe I can have a go at the PJ Production Hunter after, nah that WAS stupid!

I promise to make a start today as Col will be checking up on me tonight at the Club meeting so I'd better do something or else :fight: .

Duncan B

• Like 8

Good to see you joining in the fun Duncan :D I like the sound of all three options but particularly favour the early F.1/4 so long as you remember to back-date the airbrake ;)

Don't worry folks, Duncan will finish at least this one if not more within the time-scale, he keeps reminding me about a failed Lightning STGB entry so it'll be divine retribution if he doesn't :wicked:

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

This'll be good :)

Who for though?

Good to see you joining in the fun Duncan :D I like the sound of all three options but particularly favour the early F.1/4 so long as you remember to back-date the airbrake ;)

Don't worry folks, Duncan will finish at least this one if not more within the time-scale, he keeps reminding me about a failed Lightning STGB entry so it'll be divine retribution if he doesn't :wicked:

Ah the Lightning....hoist by my own petard springs to mind, oh how smug I felt but its dawning on me that I may not have the last laugh here :banghead: .

The airbrake, yes I'll have to pick your brains again on that one, I wonder if PJ got the airbrake right on his resin F4 kit? If so I could copy that one. I've got the Freighdog conversion (not shown in the above photo) that has the centre fuselage plug with earlier vents, leading edges and jet-pipe but no air brake. Maybe the Quickboost air brake can be modified too? Argh, I can see my quick build plan getting bogged down already :frantic: .

Duncan B

• Like 1

You'll be fine Duncan. The airbrake is a simple modification to the kit part. I'll try to bring some references in for you this evening if I can find them.

• Like 1

You'll be fine Duncan. The airbrake is a simple modification to the kit part. I'll try to bring some references in for you this evening if I can find them.

I'll bring the Quickboost airbrake for reference too.

DB

• Like 1

So here are some more bits and pieces that I'll fondle and look at and might even use to build something. After taking this I found some SAC Metal undercarriage too, it pays to have an up to date database of all your modelling stuff, clearly I don't!

f75b3e2c-0d2b-467a-9b48-3463aa874dd9_zps

...and here's the PJ Production Hunter F4 kit

8E91FD21-ECC4-4068-99B0-2AF081964DE8_zps

...with the damaged wingtip, I have to say that the damage isn't as bad as I remembered (in my mind it was akin to a nasty shark bite).

1209AFF6-A4B0-4F8F-99C0-93FC78C51DD7_zps

So does any of this count as having made a start? I hope so as I've got some photos to take for my Fw190 build and I know how long that usually takes (no Col it's not because I'm using a Victorian camera set up!).

Duncan B

p.s. I won't be using the Belgian stickers so if anybody wants them PM me and you can have them.

• Like 1

Pardon my ignorance chaps , but what's the difference between early & late Hunter airbrakes & when was the change ?

Pardon my ignorance chaps , but what's the difference between early & late Hunter airbrakes & when was the change ?

Col would be able to say exactly what and when but I understand the earlier one was shorter with a slightly different 'fence' (?) at the mounting point.

To be honest I've looked at all the pictures and plans I have of F1s and I can't tell the difference so hopefully Col will enlighten us all.

Duncan B

Col would be able to say exactly what and when but I understand the earlier one was shorter with a slightly different 'fence' (?) at the mounting point.

To be honest I've looked at all the pictures and plans I have of F1s and I can't tell the difference so hopefully Col will enlighten us all.

Duncan B

Both airbrakes are the same length overall but the earlier ones had a longer hinge fairing and shorter petal, Duncan took a photo comparing two sets of scale plans that will illustrate this better than I can describe, the F.6, FGA.9 and FR.10 plus all their export equivalents have the late style unit while the F.1/2/4/5, T7/8 and all their export models, GA & PR.11 all have the earlier unit.

...I've got some photos to take for my Fw190 build and I know how long that usually takes (no Col it's not because I'm using a Victorian camera set up!).

Don't worry Duncan, I know the problem doesn't lie with your camera equipment ;) That Fw.190 is an amazingly model by the way, top marks for that one :goodjob:

• Like 1

Ok here's the photo Col mentioned above (copyright is by the original author which hopefully Col can update me with so I can add them here).

B98C1402-0265-4441-9A84-6DB728DD6605_zps

Early airbrake is above, F6 and onward is below and to the right of Col's thumb! It took me a while to spot the difference to be honest, I couldn't spot it in actual photos until I'd seen those drawings then all became clear.

In 1/72 the radius of the early hinge is exactly the same as a 10p coin which is handy (sorry Euro Zone you'll have to work it out yourselves).

Hope that helps.

Duncan B

• Like 2

The upper drawing is by David Howley and found in Warpaint No. 8 (These plans are useful for the F1/4 and T.7/8 but need to be treated with caution for other marks.)

The lower drawing is by Mark Gauntlett and comes from MDF No. 16 by SAM Publications.

• Like 1

The upper drawing is by David Howley and found in Warpaint No. 8 (These plans are useful for the F1/4 and T.7/8 but need to be treated with caution for other marks.)

The lower drawing is by Mark Gauntlett and comes from MDF No. 16 by SAM Publications.

Mark is a member on here (as StephenMG) he's a real Hunter 'guru' -he also has an ex-Kuwaiti, I think Hunter cockpit in his garage!

He posted on here some time ago explaining the differences between the airbrakes...

• Like 3

Never noticed the difference between the abrades before!!

While we're on the subject of difference between marks, did all F4's / F5's have link collectors (Sabrinas)?

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Ok so no plastic has actually been harmed in the making of this thread so far however that doesn't mean I haven't been busy (oh yes it does!).

I have been going through parts of my stash that would appear to have been missed or poorly documented in my database and have found even more Hunter related stuff.

Among the finds was a Wolfpack F1/2/4/5 conversion set that appears to have wings tips along with the leading edge but no tail-pipe. I have a 1/72 F2/5 conversion which I can only assume I got because I was struggling to find the F1/4 version at some point. I also found that I have a heap of AM goodies for the 1/48 Academy kit including 4 vacform canopies, I must be expecting trouble with that piece!

Simon, as far as I'm aware all the F4/5s would have had Sabrina's fitted and quite a few F1s had them fitted later in life too, Col will correct me if I'm wrong.

Duncan B

• Like 3

Never noticed the difference between the abrades before!!

While we're on the subject of difference between marks, did all F4's / F5's have link collectors (Sabrinas)?

Cheers

Simon

Eventually yes but the early production batches didn't so had them fitted later while in service, as did many of the existing F.1 & 2.

Looking good , has Col got one on the go yet??

Alas not as Col is rather busy with other GBs and life in general so hasn't had much free time for model-making lately :( Plenty options in the stash though ;)

• Like 1

Ok so no plastic has actually been harmed in the making of this thread so far however that doesn't mean I haven't been busy (oh yes it does!).

I have been going through parts of my stash that would appear to have been missed or poorly documented in my database and have found even more Hunter related stuff.

Among the finds was a Wolfpack F1/2/4/5 conversion set that appears to have wings tips along with the leading edge but no tail-pipe. I have a 1/72 F2/5 conversion which I can only assume I got because I was struggling to find the F1/4 version at some point. I also found that I have a heap of AM goodies for the 1/48 Academy kit including 4 vacform canopies, I must be expecting trouble with that piece!

Stop tinkering with vaguely phallic German rockets and get on with a Hunter! :lol: High time you got the good of all that after-market goodies you've been hoarding ;)

• Like 3

Stop tinkering with vaguely phallic German rockets and get on with a Hunter! :lol: High time you got the good of all that after-market goodies you've been hoarding ;)

I've got all the Aires stuff for the Academy 1/48, Master Pitot, the lot! Shame I don't make 1/48.

Anyhow I've been updating stuff into Scalemates so that when I pop my socks AMS won't have such a problem cataloguing all my stuff :hypnotised:

DB

• Like 2

I've got all the Aires stuff for the Academy 1/48, Master Pitot, the lot! Shame I don't make 1/48.

Anyhow I've been updating stuff into Scalemates so that when I pop my socks AMS won't have such a problem cataloguing all my stuff :hypnotised:

DB

Apart from all those 109s and 190 you mean? I can always take that stuff off your hands if it's causing you a problem ;)

Good to see you're looking ahead and on the bright side Duncan but pray your lovely wife doesn't that link to Scalemates or your socks may pop sooner than you expect! :fight::chair::hanging:

• Like 1

Well Duncan, you certainly have all the goodies, I never did get the PJ F4, only got an F6, 'cos it was cheap.

so along with James, and Col and few others, yep still watching and waiting. :popcorn:

With so few parts you could beat me to the finish easily, especially if I stuff up much more in the painting dept.

• Like 1