Revell 1/72 Hunter F.6, quick build

Good afternoon,

as mentionned in the chat, wife and kid are outside, so I will try to do a quick build on the Revell Hunter.

The start, at 7:30LT

1-start_zpsag6iimqp.jpg

After one hour, the seat, tanks and wings were glued, some recesses filled.

2-1h_zpshvwhpkmf.jpg

The first colour, black for the cockpit area. Pic is overexposed to show the details.

3-black_zpseyy8tduv.jpg

After 3.5 hours, workbench looks like this. Wings needed much time and filler, but it may have been my mistake.

4-35h_zpszz9l7gdt.jpg

First round of silver (tamiya flat alu)

5-silver_zpsim0kh5ga.jpg

Dashboard ready for installation. Just some tire black for the main part, some drybrushing and gloss black for the dials.

6-panel_zpsvsdywokj.jpg

Cockpit ready for the fuselage.

7-cockpit_zps7ajjkajx.jpg

Fuselage halves glued together. Nose, gun bay and exhaust were added later.

8-fuselage_zpss5395dq0.jpg

The intakes are a bit tricky, as it's best to paint them beforehand. So, again, a short burst of alu, one side green, the other grey.

9-einlass_zps4v0ceeue.jpg

Such parts need time, so I will let dry the glue overnight.

10-nav_zpswthahbk2.jpg

Time so far: 10 hrs total, including some breaks, lunch and taking care of the flat. Some 8 hours net building time. :) Next step is putting the parts together, preshading, colours and then off we go. Hope I'm finished by this weekend!

Alex

Edited by alex
  • Like 4

Oh, hello, there's a Hunter suddenly taking shape! The wing tips and leading edge parts are not a great fit unless the main wing parts are packed out slightly but you look to have got them to fit with only a slight smear of filler.

Day 2, at least the next three hours: I sanded the nav lights, after the glue cured overnight.

11-nav2_zpslpnvgx4a.jpg

That's how I handle a kit which is regarded as "no filler required". But I guess it was me

12-ngbay_zps9obyy9ex.jpg

Bulges for the guns attached. Perfect fit.

13-guns_zpskl2rf5u8.jpg

And the next milestone: wings attached!

14-wings_zpseaubldzx.jpg

Weight and balance seems to work. :) A bit of lead used, instruction says 4gr, I think I was a bit below.

16-wb_zps6m6klx8q.jpg

Gear parts were painted with Revell Alu, the oleo is modelmaster chrome silver.

15-gears_zpslpqaehwo.jpg

This afternoon, I will try to mask the canopy and start with the preshading. Hopefully, silver as well, and tomorrow the camo and clear cote. Thursday the decals and weathering.

Alex

• Like 4

Day 2, at least the next three hours: I sanded the nav lights, after the glue cured overnight.

That's how I handle a kit which is regarded as "no filler required". But I guess it was me

12-ngbay_zps9obyy9ex.jpg

Bulges for the guns attached. Perfect fit.

13-guns_zpskl2rf5u8.jpg

And the next milestone: wings attached!...

This afternoon, I will try to mask the canopy and start with the preshading. Hopefully, silver as well, and tomorrow the camo and clear cote. Thursday the decals and weathering.

Alex

Good work Alex, including those nav lights, the filler around the gun insert and nose looks exactly like every Revell Hunter kit I've built.

Lovely stuff and at a nice pace. Come watch me take 3 months to build the exact same kit!!

Duncan B

We'll be here to encourage you Duncan :poke:

• Like 1

Masking is done with tamiya tape, as the canopy is rather easy.

17-masking_zpslurgkrsj.jpg

Preshading completed...

18-preshading_zpsulor0hsk.jpg

And Tamiya Aluminium, thereafter a layer of tamiya clear as sealant. Tomorrow the camo, hopefully!

19-alu_zps0iu3vjwd.jpg

@Duncan: I usually don't finish a model within three month, so this was a test for me. One week of concentrated work!

Alex

• Like 3

Can't quite see from your photos Alex but have you masked over the end of the canopy? There is no metal frame around the back of the sliding hood so that should be left unpainted.

Ah, thanks! Indeed I masked the frame, but I can remove the paint easaily at the end. It's only acrylic, so a Qtip with some alcohol will do.

Alex

• Like 1

Today, the camo was airbrushed: first the DSG

20-grey_zpsgvux91xw.jpg

Then with blue tac, I masked the parts remain grey

21-green_zps8nvjotbg.jpg

The camo is finished, it just needed some touch ups.

22-camo_zpsgt2pjqto.jpg

And a barrel roll over the carpet, ready to attack the monster who lives in it! :hobbyhorse:

23-glossy_zpsbn7lrihf.jpg

Tomorrow it's time for the decals and the washing. Just a question about the guns: in the revell kit, there are four parts which can be monted optionnaly: what are these, some muzzle brakes, or the guns themselves?

Alex

• Like 8

Good work on the paint :goodjob:

Those four parts are blast deflectors and were designed to avoid the nose pitching down when the guns were fired.

Hi Alex. Photos, as promised, of the 66 squadron Hunter with the straight leading edge to the unit marking proving the Revell decal and any artwork by post 80' is wrong with the curved front edge!

IMG_9404_zpsk0lyrxjo.jpg

Artwork based on the photo below by R.Ward ( of Modeldecal fame) and much earlier than current artwork. and below photographic proof of the straight front end to the unit marking:

IMG_9403_zpsn8cmwl3s.jpg

As far as I have found, the markings design is quite unique for 66 Squadron.

Hope this answers any queries!

• Like 3

Wow, go you good thing, quick build indeed, great work

Well life has been tough for me for the last couple of years, but must say I didn't even know of this STGB, do so love a Hunter, might have to join in.

• Like 1

Decaling took more time than expected: after some 3.5 hours, just one side and the belly completed.

Revell had the good idea to print the cut marks for the gear doors, so you can cut them out beforehand and place them on the right spot.

23-reg_zpsu3eq5xvc.jpg

Underside with serials and roundels

24-underside_zpswvuqbiyj.jpg

And the side. I had to cut the rounded edge of the pizza slice, so it's straight and not round. I wonder how I will remake the thin, dark blue line. Maybe with pencils? Oh, there is some bleeding through in the white areas, I will care for later. The decals are nice to work with, very thin, adhere well to the surface and react reasonnably to decal solvent.

25-side_zpstoa2ush1.jpg

Alex

• Like 4

Decaling took more time than expected: after some 3.5 hours, just one side and the belly completed.

Revell had the good idea to print the cut marks for the gear doors, so you can cut them out beforehand and place them on the right spot.

23-reg_zpsu3eq5xvc.jpg

Underside with serials and roundels

24-underside_zpswvuqbiyj.jpg

And the side. I had to cut the rounded edge of the pizza slice, so it's straight and not round. I wonder how I will remake the thin, dark blue line. Maybe with pencils? Oh, there is some bleeding through in the white areas, I will care for later. The decals are nice to work with, very thin, adhere well to the surface and react reasonnably to decal solvent.

25-side_zpstoa2ush1.jpg

Alex

For the blue get hold of some blue decal striping. The big 'H' stock it .

• Like 1

I will check my album of spare decals, maybe I have something the right colour! no pics, just a statement - all decals are on now, tonight it's the washing, tomorrow the semigloss cote and final assembly most probably saturday.

Alex

• Like 1

Washing completed! The effect is clear, it adds some more depth to the recesses. After 15 minutes, I remove the excess with a flat brush or a q-tip.

26-washing_zps8wemqyx6.jpg

Upper part with washing

27-washing2_zpsr5fw7ppl.jpg

And the bottom.

28-washing3_zps0qzw0zf7.jpg

Several parts got a washing too, like the gear doors and the tanks.

29-parts_zpsox4t5gbw.jpg

Detail of the main gear well.

30-detail_zpsyu20ztzb.jpg

Tomorrow, the Hunter should get the final semigloss cote and during the weekend, it should be finished. I guess it's my fastes build ever!

Alex

• Like 4

This morning, the semigloss cote (Tamiya) was airbrushed. That's how the surface looks like now. The last decals on the cockpit window frame added, and the paint removed from the rear "frame". That's why I love this forum, very helpful people around!

31-semigloss_zpswzrurqh4.jpg

A few touch ups were needed for the roundel and the "bar". On the front part, I added a small decal stripe, as I had the wrong decal with the rounded front. it was from an old Revell P-26-kit, the colour was a good match. On the rear part, there was some white shining below the blue stripe, I used a small brush and revell green to paint it over.

32-roundel_zpsgtiqfs1t.jpg

Nose gear bay. Maybe I will add the two rods between the rear door and the gear leg. A small job, but will look better. Added the gun blast deflectors, and drilled some holes, as well as on the sabrinas..

33-nosegear_zpsbkzsxbjs.jpg

And the main gear bay. Revell did a great job, it looks good with all the details and the actuators. Two doors each side still missing.

34-maingear_zpstu1vwqa0.jpg

So, what's left? The Pitot tube, the fuel vent, four gear doors, that's it!

Alex

• Like 6