1/48 Eduard Su-25 & some goodies.

RMP2

Cheers. Aye, it is.

I think Ive found and ordered some FOD covers for the intakes and exhausts too, but theyre in Australia and Im, unfortunately, not. Will see how that pans out for the deadline...

A tow bar is another temptation along with some chocks and maybe a weapons cart or lifty thing. Seen some little tool boxes too, but I reckon it would all look a little odd without some ground crew and I havent come across any, so any help with those would be great.

Hmmmm... maybe just chocks and the tow bar... dunno. Its gotten rather expensive as it is. :ninja:

• Like 1

Got a few boomy bits put together, just plastic ones, left the resin stuff for now.

Nothing exciting, but the funky ECM pod got some glue.

P1100395%20Large.jpg

P1100396%20Large.jpg

How could anyone not want to bung that thing under a wing? I love it. :)

• Like 1

To break it up a bit I opened up some resin bits. Got the mud guard cleaned up and put away safely as thats very fragile, chopped out the upper chaff/flare dispensers (all Su-25s had these after Afghanistan regardless of what the destructions may say), sorted some intakes out and then got brave... I know Ill be using the R-60 A-A missiles regardless of what else I go for, so on with those!

Now... I thought cockpit PE was the devil himself, but what is this new micro-resin-tiny-missile-fin-oh-my-god-theres-bloody-loads-of-them satanic-ism??!!

I was about to post some pictures but Botophucket appears to have other ideas. Again. Getting a bit tired of the issues with that photo host.

Sorry, youll have to wait until its head is removed from its nether.

Aha.

How small and fragile? Hells teeth!

P1100400%20Large.jpg

Take that!

P1100402%20Large.jpg

And heres one halfway done next to the kit offering

P1100403%20Large.jpg

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 3

Progressing nicely, love how you will arm it up! I used some Brassin stuff recently so I know how fiddly the stuff is, top work on that, they should really make a difference to the finished jet! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Cheers guys.

Re the arming up, I think I can use the KH-25 missiles after all, but not the S-25s going by another of Harvys (The Frogfoot man) posts. I do hope so anyway as Ive built up one KH-25 and its gone together really nicely.

Thatd leave the pair of KHs, the spare R-60s and the two S-25s for.... something else. :)

Little bit more resin done tonight after "man chores". Both KH-25s are mostly put together, but leaving the nose glass/covers til after PE, paint, decals and deciding which way to go with that whole affair, likewise with the dinky R-60s. It would be nice to go with the whole Russian way of "RBFs", but will have to see how my patience holds out.

Some favoured options for loads (hoping the last one is valid).

P1100405%20Large.jpg

P1100404%20Large.jpg

P1100406%20Large.jpg

Alternative bits in the background and theres a couple of Multiple Bomb Dispensers and 8 x FAB-100 bombs going spare in the MiG -21 box too... But, I want big rockety things! :)

Forgot - the KH-25MLs are lovely things, really pleased with those.

P1100407%20Large.jpg

Nice rocket 'oles n all. :)

P1100408%20Large.jpg

I suppose Id best carry on with the plane thingy now. And where is Harvy?

Another query for Harvy, along with the KH-25 use with the SPS-141.....

Re the Aires S-25 rockets (Not used with this build, just keeping all stuff in one place) - Ive just noticed that they dont come with launch rails as such (possibly just a moulded in O-25 launcher?).

Thats annoying. Its not included by chance in the Eduard resin pylon set either. Nor do the S-25s by Advanced Modelling, yet both companies provide them with their KH-25s. What gives? Im half guessing here, but the launch rail/adapter piece could be the APU-68 or APU-7D...? Which I also cannot find available separately, only with other missiles that I already have or dont want/need.

Both Aires and Advanced Modelling have been sent a query about this. Oh, and the Aires rear fins are wrong for the S-25L, but I can work with that. Its never easy is it?

Pic below shows pretty clearly that the S-25 used such a rail/adapter and it looks pretty close to what the KH-25 uses so I added a link to it in my queries about availability of the rails alone.

2171811.jpg

Oh.... hang on... the MiG-21SMT has S-24 rockets with it.... and launchers that look rather like the ones for the S-25 and KH-25.... erm... Im thinking Ive just wasted an evening, a lot of typing, your time, my time and... its panic over.

Are we having fun yet? :D

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 4

Little bit more resin done tonight after "man chores". Both KH-25s are mostly put together, but leaving the nose glass/covers til after PE, paint, decals and deciding which way to go with that whole affair, likewise with the dinky R-60s. It would be nice to go with the whole Russian way of "RBFs", but will have to see how my patience holds out.

Some favoured options for loads (hoping the last one is valid).

P1100405%20Large.jpg

P1100404%20Large.jpg

P1100406%20Large.jpg

Alternative bits in the background and theres a couple of Multiple Bomb Dispensers and 8 x FAB-100 bombs going spare in the MiG -21 box too... But, I want big rockety things! :)

Forgot - the KH-25MLs are lovely things, really pleased with those.

P1100407%20Large.jpg

Nice rocket 'oles n all. :)

P1100408%20Large.jpg

I suppose Id best carry on with the plane thingy now. And where is Harvy?

Another query for Harvy, along with the KH-25 use with the SPS-141.....

Re the Aires S-25 rockets (Not used with this build, just keeping all stuff in one place) - Ive just noticed that they dont come with launch rails as such (possibly just a moulded in O-25 launcher?).

Thats annoying. Its not included by chance in the Eduard resin pylon set either. Nor do the S-25s by Advanced Modelling, yet both companies provide them with their KH-25s. What gives? Im half guessing here, but the launch rail/adapter piece could be the APU-68 or APU-7D...? Which I also cannot find available separately, only with other missiles that I already have or dont want/need.

Both Aires and Advanced Modelling have been sent a query about this. Oh, and the Aires rear fins are wrong for the S-25L, but I can work with that. Its never easy is it?

Pic below shows pretty clearly that the S-25 used such a rail/adapter and it looks pretty close to what the KH-25 uses so I added a link to it in my queries about availability of the rails alone.

2171811.jpg

Oh.... hang on... the MiG-21SMT has S-24 rockets with it.... and launchers that look rather like the ones for the S-25 and KH-25.... erm... Im thinking Ive just wasted an evening, a lot of typing, your time, my time and... its panic over.

Are we having fun yet? :D

The picture is a training Kh-25ML.For Kh-25 is used by the adapter APU-68.S-25 shooting from the O-25, which is directly on the rack.

Another one for Harvy to peruse:

Sukhoi_Su-25_2008_G4.jpg

4 x R60..?

It's possible, but illogical. Both missiles are fired at the same moment. It's for electrical wiring in racks.

Cheers Col. The colour came quite easily which makes a change.

Ive chucked this in the reference thread, but I wanted it in here too for any chat about my intentions for loading it up:

13315336225_dcdec83e0a_o.jpg

Its showing only the one option when carrying the SPS-141 ECM pod, which is a bit of a bummer. Fairly sure it could also carry some bombs with it and the B-8 counter balance pod. But I wanted BIG rockets which the SPS doesnt like to get blasted by their big engines and the only location Ive found the SPS being mounted limits what could go on too. Hmmm.

If only the SPS could go on pylon 5/7 opposite a fuel tank, that would leave maybe pylons 2 & 3/9 & 10 ok to take S-25s or KH-25Ls... Im thinking thats not an option though.

Decisions decisions. I want ECM and I want big rockets. I have noticed that the two seater Su-25UB was wired for weapons and falls into this GB nicely too.... but time is my enemy.

This is only a selection of possible variants of armaments, I was an advisor in the creation 4+.

fuel tank may be on points 3,5,7,9

Kh-29 points 5,7 but exchanged BD3-25 for BD3-25AKU with adapter AKU-58

Kh-25ML points 3,4,5,7,8,9

SPPU-22 points 4,5,7,8 but for shooting back only 5,7

Points 3 and 9 are for special armament, ECM pod or 500kg Atomic bomb.

Theoretically, you can use combination of SPS , B-8 and 2x Kh-29. This combination was fuel but only for a 40min flight.It was a little uneconomical.

I think its the limited edition, yes. Its got all the right bits in the box, Eduard instructions, decals, extra PE as well as extra Eduard BigEd PE etc, but no box art. I didnt really know what I had bought to be honest, just wanted an Su-25.

Yes, it has your Slovak Bull decals too. 8)

If you will not need decals for Slovak Bull... However I am one of the authors and the four years I was a crew chief in 1027.

• Like 2

Brilliant stuff, thank you for all that info. Fuel tanks, Kh-25s, SPS, B8 and 2xR-60s it is then! :)

Bull decals are spare, yes. PM me your address. :)

Edited by RMP2

Brilliant stuff, thank you for all that info. Fuel tanks, Kh-25s, SPS, B8 and 2xR-60s it is then! :)

Bull decals are spare, yes. PM me your address. :)

Thank you very much. I sent PM.

This thing really needs a set of engine inlet and exhaust covers. The ducting is far from an ideal fit (too small for the hole, basically) and filler will leave a step that will be almost as unsightly.

I do have a wanted ad up for such things, but I hope theres no harm is asking here too - Whos got the OOP TwoMikes (or other) engine FOD cover set going spare??!! Im a bit desperate and not got much enthusiasm for it unless I can sort those.

Sandle Hobbies in Australia have them on their website, I tried to order them, got an email saying payment was being processed, but nothing more. I mailed them in regard to it but heard nowt back either. No money has been taken btw.

Any Aussies in here know of Sandle Hobbies?

Edit - A quick search for Sandle Hobbies shows Im not the only one with comms and ordering issues by a long shot. Most annoying. The search continues....

Edit edit.... I think Ive found some. Rather expensive though, as is postage, so I did the obvious thing and placed an order for two sets... thats it, this thing is having no more of my cash - I could have bought another two KP Su-25s for what Ive got coming, or think/hope Ive got coming. Tenner says theyre out of stock and havent updated the site!!

Edited by RMP2

This evening I found some more reference material. It was only towards the end of the thread I noticed whos it was!

Theres some great photos in there of faded colours next to unfaded paint under flaps etc, really gives an idea of how much they paled off.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=42661&page=1

Oh, I also remembered World Air Power Journal today while clearing out the garage - found a copy of their US Navy and Marines book. So I had a look on Amazon and yep, theres one with Su-25 stuff in it for a fiver plus P&P - https://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Power-Journal-Vol-Autumn/dp/1861840047/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1462656481&sr=1-5&keywords=world+air+power+journal

I might have bought the issue with Jaguar stuff in too, but the first rule of Jaguars is... ;)

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

Done a little bit more. Youll like it, not a lot....

P1100412%20Large.jpg

I suspect thatll be all for a while though, got a few 98 hour weeks coming up for work. Doh. But cash is king and all that.

Top tip of the day:

You know those canopy masks that only cover the edges? Dont forget liquid mask on the rest before firing up the airbrush... ;)

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 5

And compared to an A-10 (cos thats what everyone does). The 25 is about 1.5" shorter overall and 2" less in wing span overall - the pic is deceiving as to just how much smaller the Sukhoi actually is - its positively dinky in comparison.

P1100415%20Large.jpg

To be fair though, an A-10 isnt a small beast in itself, having just lined it up with other stuff. Bit surprising that.

• Like 4

Demasked the first stage of the canopy stuff and I see I did a pants job of wiping the overspray off when I forgot the liquid mask. Yes, I really did do that.
So. Im thinking it best to mask off the paint once its well and truly set hard and use something like a dab of car polish, Turtlewax etc, to gently remove the paint? Im going for Turtle wax etc as I have stuff in the garage and white spirit seems like a really bad idea on clear parts.

Its Humbrol enamel paint by the way... ;)

Ah, yes, a photo might help... other bits off stuff are blu-tac on the inside, fear not, its all cool.

P1100416%20Large.jpg

Edited by RMP2

Demasked the first stage of the canopy stuff and I see I did a pants job of wiping the overspray off when I forgot the liquid mask. Yes, I really did do that.

So. Im thinking it best to mask off the paint once its well and truly set hard and use something like a dab of car polish, Turtlewax etc, to gently remove the paint? Im going for Turtle wax etc as I have stuff in the garage and white spirit seems like a really bad idea on clear parts.

Its Humbrol enamel paint by the way... ;)

hmmm

I used WD-40 lately to remove masking tape residue which worked fantastic...

I'd maybe try it on an unused part before though...

• Like 2

Moving along nicely! I too didn't realise the A-10 was that big, at least the Frogfoot looks a bit better (a bit!) than the A-10 :D. Hmm not sure how to remove the paint with a solvent based method, as you say I wouldn't let white spirit anywhere near it. If the wax doesn't work maybe just mask off the black painted areas and a few light swipes of wet micro mesh might take it off, then later a little coat of Johnsons clear to bring back a good shine.

• Like 1

Cheers guys.

Ill try the polish first as Ive used it before with no dramas to finish off some cleaning up. I never thought of wet micromesh, dunno why not, but its a good call for various things.

As Ive used the masks for the seals and I dont have spares Im going to give it a few days to be sure I dont pull any paint off by masking - I think I got the seal masks on pretty well and they looked to fit just right - so taking no chances with whats turned out to be a blooming expensive build!

Yea, A-10s arent small it seems. I feel the Su is a closer match to a Jag/Harrier hybrid to be honest - weight, performance, role. Its not a Russian A-10 to my mind anyway.

Only update is that the copy of World Air Power Journal, volume 30, with the Su-25 article in arrived today. Got to say its far, far more useful and interesting than the modelling mag that was mentioned and I also obtained a copy of. Both for around the same price too - well worth checking the link a few posts up for a copy of the WAPJ for Frogfoot pics and info - theres even a pic of my Red 25 in there along with loads of info, operating units, variants, etc etc etc. Its really nice! :)

Refund issued to me for the Su-25 intake covers... theyre not available from whoever it was in Austria who's website still had them showing in stock.

Not good. Im really struggling. Looks like I might have to put my Very Brave Hat on and scratch something up if I dont find anything in the mean time.

Is there a cheap option for buying small sheets of plastic card stuff? Im guessing less that 1mm think would be what Im looking at.

Maybe use the intake rings themselves, blank them off, detail them up a bit and maybe a spacer behind them to show theyre a touch larger than the rings theyre supposed to be covering? Daft or about right?

• Like 1

I had a look at what the Su-25 covers look like and they are a pretty awkward shape! Hmm if I tried to make them I think I would get the kit intake ring, trace it onto some plasticard but not too thin so its flimsy. Then add on the thickness of the card you will use to replicate the contour 'lips' around the circumference of the ring. So maybe intake ring + 1-2mm (depending on thickness) all uniformly around the intake shape. Temporally glue this to the front of the kit intake ring ensuring equal spacing. I'd then stick some masking tape around the intake lip and trace the front intake ring and the ring of where the cover lip ends all around the circumference. I'd then cut out the appropriate width of the lip (I guess this will need to be thin plasticard to conform) via the masking tape template and glue this to the 1-2mm extra width of the front face all around. Give it a sand around the join and you should have a intake cover, with the approbate lip that will just slide on and off.

For the exhausts they look easier, I'd trace the circular profile onto some plasticard then add the same very thin plasitcard lip around the outer diameter so it does the same job. Then the surface details can then be added to what please you.

There probably are way more smarter ways from people who've done this modelling thing for years but thats how I'd have a go at it and I usually work on if it looks about right it is right :winkgrin:

David

I just read that through and its pretty hard to understand what I'm going on about I'm sorry

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

Thanks. I think I get your drift, certainly ideas if not the exact direction.

Its all good for ideas. Ideas are all I think I have a chance for with the covers. One might think new sets need casting... :)

• 2 weeks later...

This hasnt died. Not yet anyway.

Im back on with it now work has calmed down a bit, but the old OCD has kicked in with the FOD covers... much messing with Playdo, tape, polyfiller and the like. Itll never work, but I have to go through this, bare with me. :)

No photos, that way I can say this was all just a joke when it turns out somewhat ridiculous and a complete waste of time. I wrote The Book Of Excuses. ;)

On the more sensible side - the inlet rings cover more nasties than I expected, a wee dab of filler might sort them altogether once I stop with the messing about.

Also, a look over where the Su is at and what Ive got m-m-m-m-m-makes me h-h-happy (10 points for the film quote there), its looking alright and is begging for paint.

Proper updates wont be long. :)

• Like 1