1/48 Eduard Su-25 & some goodies.

RMP2

Right, Ive been putting this off for a long time as its going to scare the bejesus out of me doing this, but here it is for my very firstest ever GB:

:)

P1020308%20Medium.jpg

Plenty to go at in the box!

P1020297%20Medium.jpg

Also robbed some resin rocket pods from my MiG-21 and quite fancy some KH-25 missiles if I can work out a laser designator thingy, or perhaps some smart KAB-500 bombs, or maybe S-24 or 25 rockets...... too many options! Plenty of time to work something out though.

Going with this scheme from Tutow Airbase in East Germany with the 16th Air Army/368th ShAP from 1989 when the aircraft had returned from Afghanistan (the one on the right...)

P1020306%20Medium.jpg

As the instructions state 1993 (cropped out of the shot above) I feel its only right I add some info that Ive dug up regarding this scheme and date:

By 1988, there were about 220 Su-25s in the Soviet Air Force inventory assigned to five
Aviation Assault Regiments. These regiments were based in Russia, Byelorussia, the
Ukrain and Turkestan, In February of 1989 a regiment was transferred to Poland and two
were deployed to the German Democratic Republic. With the fall of the Soviet Union, it
is most likely that the single Su-25 Aviation Assault Regiment under the command of the
14th Air Army at Lvov, in the Ukrain will be absorbed in the newly formed Ukrainian Air
Force.
The two Aviation Assault Regiments in the former German Democratic Republic
are under the command of the 16th Air Army, A Shturmovoi Aviapolk (Aviation Assault
Regiment) consist of three Eskadrili (squadrons) with a total of thirty-six to forty-five Su-
25s and two Su-25UB trainers with an average squadron strength of twelve aircraft. The
357th ShAP has flown the Su-25 for about five years and is based at Brandis and shares
this airfield with the Mi-8 and Mi-17 of the 485th Combat Helicopter Regiment. Most of
these aircraft assigned to the regiment carry the Sukhoi factory insignia on the stabilizer
below the national marking. This unit operates Su-25s in three different camouflage
schemes and some of the aircraft are known to carry the Grach emblem on the port air
intake. Normally this marking is in Red: however, some Su-25s have the rook in Yellow.
Most aircraft carry two digit tactical number with a thick White outline while a few have
a thinly outlined number
All the Su-25s assigned to the 368th ShAP based at Demmin-Tutow, carry an Asian
camouflage scheme without the Sukhoi factory insignia, although the Grach emblem is
sometimes carried on the port air intake. All these aircraft have a two digit Red tactical number
with a large White outline.

Taken from Militaryrussia.ru, its the PDF at the top of this Google page - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=su-25+tutow+1985&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=hqIKV42kOcTdaOKFh4AK

If nothing else its a good read about the Su-25s, but I hope its justification for those markings as its the most clear bit of text Ive found for the German 25s. :bounce:

Next is to check the paint stash and finally get that Phantom off the bench...

Looks like this will be a big one, good luck folks!!

• Like 10

Its a scary box!

Pretty sure youre correct re Grach. From what Ive read today (quite a lot!) I think they got that nickname in Afghanistan, something to do with taking hits and looking after ground forces - generally looking after folk in a similar way to how a Rook spreads its wings over its chicks. Apparently...

I think Ive decided on bombs n stuff, just need to beg, borrow or buy the things.

Amazingly with all the PE in that box, Eduard supplied just the IP in the BigEd set for the interior stuff, not the side consoles. Cheers Eduard. :fight:

So, currently we have:

Eduard issue of the KP Su-25A/K

Extras in the box::

PE parts for IP, belts & some exterior bits n bobs

Resin seat w/o belts

Eduard resin chaff n flare dispensers (I think thats what they are)

Eduard resin air scoops

Eduard resin front wheel FOD guard

Quickboost resin seat w/belts

Quickboost resin airscoops

BigEd set - Interior, exterior, armament for in box bits and canopy masks

Another set of canopy masks

Eduard resin pylon set

Eduard resin rocket pods stolen from my MiG-21

Also got Authentic Details Frogfoot in Foreign service decals but not looking like Ill be using those for this.

Id like to add:

An SPS-141 ECM pod

KH-25ML missiles (2 or 4)

and/or S-25L rockets (2)

Pleased the finish date is some months off is all I can say!

• Like 2

Annnnd the weapons and PE that Im wanting are now ordered - more interior PE and resin KH-25ML (x4) & resin S-25L rockets (x2). Phew.

Just leaves the paints then... bugger spending any more, theyll be from the Humbrol enamel stock me thinks.

Still need to clear that Phantom off the bench! :shutup:

• Like 1

I've got the SMER version of this beast (they all owe there existence to the original OEZ version, late 80's?) and I think pretty much the same amount of AM stuff, plus I think I got a resin cockpit form somewhere too (hmm not sure on that).

Will follow this one with interest as I have an Su-25 STGB I'm hoping to get going for 2018.

• Like 2

Aye, I think theyre all from the same source - OEZ, SMER, Frog, KP and Eduard, something like that anyway. Panel gaps are a bit fat, but it looks right overall if you throw away a few things in favour of finer aftermarket stuff and turn a cheap kit into a bloody expensive one! ;) Such is life. I chickened out on the resin cockpit - brush skills be lacking.

2018? Cmon, get it going now, its a fine time to do so and I could really do with some help!! I could bail out and go with an A-10 yknow... ;)

EDIT - A Tamiya A-10 at that... :hanging:

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

Cheers, guys. Its going to be a challenge thats for sure - been building up to this one, hope I do it some justice at least.

Very nice subject for this GB. I will check in my references if I can find 25 RED pictures during their time on Tutow.

Evert

Thatd be great if you do have any photos - Ive only found two of it with 357 OShAp and one with 368: http://www.16va.be/galeries_vvs/su-25/imgcol/index.html

So dont go out of your way looking, but if you do come across any Id be very grateful to see them, thank you. :)

The postman has just been - more scary bits in the box now and I think Im sorted and ready to go. Quite possibly got enough goodies to stretch to a second aircraft.... uh-oh.

Just some camo colours to work out - around 200 different shades of each going by photos! :)

• Like 2

Thatd be great if you do have any photos - Ive only found two of it with 357 OShAp and one with 368:

http://www.16va.be/galeries_vvs/su-25/imgcol/index.html

So dont go out of your way looking, but if you do come across any Id be very grateful to see them, thank you. :)

Did find some pictures but 25 wasn't there.... so can't help you with this.

Did find some pictures but 25 wasn't there.... so can't help you with this.

Not to worry, it does seem to be a tricky bugger to find snaps of.

Thanks anyway. :)

I think Ive decided on bombs n stuff, just need to beg, borrow or buy the things.

Amazingly with all the PE in that box, Eduard supplied just the IP in the BigEd set for the interior stuff, not the side consoles. Cheers Eduard. :fight:

So, currently we have:

Eduard issue of the KP Su-25A/K

Extras in the box::

PE parts for IP, belts & some exterior bits n bobs

Resin seat w/o belts

Eduard resin chaff n flare dispensers (I think thats what they are)

Eduard resin air scoops

Eduard resin front wheel FOD guard

Quickboost resin seat w/belts

Quickboost resin airscoops

BigEd set - Interior, exterior, armament for in box bits and canopy masks

Another set of canopy masks

Eduard resin pylon set

Eduard resin rocket pods stolen from my MiG-21

Also got Authentic Details Frogfoot in Foreign service decals but not looking like Ill be using those for this.

Id like to add:

An SPS-141 ECM pod

KH-25ML missiles (2 or 4)

and/or S-25L rockets (2)

Pleased the finish date is some months off is all I can say!

With SPS-141MVG-E is used max 2 Kh-25ML. S-25L missiles were forbidden to use in combination with SPS.

• Like 2

With SPS-141MVG-E is used max 2 Kh-25ML. S-25L missiles were forbidden to use in combination with SPS.

Thanks you.

I think I remember reading that the SPS pod could actually jam some of the Su-25s own equipment.

Was that the issue wth S-25Ls?

Hi Rob,

I'll be following this one. I love a...I was going to say ugly, but shall we say unique looking aircraft. Especially ones with oodles of boom hanging off them.

Best of luck with that camo though...

Cheers,

Paul

Yea, the camo will be interesting for all going for similar schemes, eh? :)

I suspect I may need a second Foot Of Frog to justify the "pretty" boomy bits in the stash. Oh dear.

• Like 1

Chaps in case it is of interest Scale Aircraft Modelling magazine which landed on my doorstep today has an Aircraft in Profile 14 page spread on the Su-25.

Dave

Thanks for that.

Does it cover earlier examples as well as later ones?