Speedy Stingray -- Revell, 1/24

I wanted something quick and simple that I could get a good result on swiftly to blow away the cobwebs and a mild case of modeller's block... and there in the stash was a recently acquired Revell Germany release of the kit that's a snapfit, I believe, in the US. The body was pre-painted, of which more later...

cockpit-mockup.jpg

cockpit-mockup-2.jpg

dash.jpg

Despite being a "simplified" kit, the detail on the parts was pretty good, so a bit of careful painting was all that was needed to bring a bit more realism. The colour scheme is a real one, albeit intended for the 2017 "Grand Sport" model. As soon as I saw it, though, I knew that it was the one for me.

chassis-topside.jpg

chassis-underside.jpg

The same applies to the chassis and transmission -- not many parts, but nicely detailed and moulded, and responds well to painting.

headlights.jpg

If there's one thing that really looks toylike on the kit, it's the chromed headlight area. Needless to say, the real thing isn't all chrome, and looks rather more like this. I pretty much stripped the entire chromed sprue...

wheels-n-brakes.jpg

The wheels, too, are chromed. But when stripped, this rather nice varnished black look emerged, so I've left them like that.

And finally, that colour scheme:

body-before-clear-2.jpg

body-before-clear-1.jpg

I know there's more to a Grand Sport than a paint job, but I'm keeping this simple! It is soooo cool, though, that there really was no alternative...

The clear coat's not on yet -- this is Zero Paints Mercedes "Palladium Silver" and "Jaguar French Racing Blue" base coats.

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...