Su 27 flanker colours in acrylics

thepureness

I use tamiya acrylics and thinking of doing an Su 27 but my only reservation is getting the paint correct. I use tamiya acrylics and only use acrylics, can anyone assist in getting the right mixes etc

Asked the similar question myself few weeks back, for the Su34, and akan was the answer, coastalcraft sell sets of 6 specific to each type, theres two for su27 I believe, on for the older colours, another for the newer KM variant. Set of 6 includes the cockpit blue, red for gear bays and white for radome, plus the camo colours

Edited by PhantomBigStu

AKAN paints are great - and colour matched - and Coastal Craft give a great service.

The only downside is that they only sell the paints in sets - so if you run out of one colour, you have to purchase the whole set again.

I wish they'd sell the paints individually.

Ken

• Like 1

AKAN paints are great - and colour matched - and Coastal Craft give a great service.

The only downside is that they only sell the paints in sets - so if you run out of one colour, you have to purchase the whole set again.

I wish they'd sell the paints individually.

Ken

Agreed there's only so many containers of red needed, so when you do your next order to Finland or Greece, I'll have two each of 73064,73065 & 73066. pretty please Ken

I bought directly from Akan recently to get the SU33 set, as everyone else around the world was out of stock. Alex was a fantastic help, paints arrived in under a week, and cheaper than elsewhere too ;)

You need to use google translate, but it worked great. I believe he sells individual pots too. (Ask to use PayPal, as site options are for Russia only)

http://shop.akan.ru

I seem to recall you can buy the paints individually from most importers. I seem to recall scrolling past the sets into the individual paint section on Coastal Craft, IIRC? :hmmm:

My apologies to Coastal Craft - I'm doing them a dis-service.

I picked up a leaflet at the recent Cosford show - and only read half of it.

The front page clearly says - "Sets of six colours, with some colours available individually"

So you need to check their website for which colours are in sets and which are sold individually.

Ken

PS - Just checked their website :- http://www.coastalcraftmodelsuk.com/akan_paints.php- and it only shows the sets of paint in the 47nnn range - it doesn't list the individual bottles as shown in their leaflet - very odd ??

They are losing business if they don't list the single colours on line.

You can defiantly buy single pots from Coastal a Craft cause I have. They are usually very helpful and I've found that if they don't have a colour available in a single pot but they have it in a set of colours, they'll take the pot out the set and replace it when they get new stock in. 👍

I've phoned every time I've bought from them as the online purchase of sets is possibly a new thing. I think you're basically phoning the guys house but he's a helpful chap. First time I ordered I provided card payment details over the phone but ever since then I've followed up the phone order by sending the money through PayPal.

Muzz

As an alternative to the AKAN range, you could also try the Mr Paint range from Slovakia, link here

They come already thinned for airbrush use, and in 30 ml bottles too, they cover virtually all Soviet types and variations in camouflage schemes for various former WarPac nations.

Just got off the phone to Martin, if you phone him and discuss wants with him he will order individual colours on his next order to Linden Hill. If you really can't wait he's prepared to split sets to provide wants if he has the relevant set in stock. Apparently there are a lot of new colours in the range( ie Su 35). Unfortunately the guy who does his website has been sidetracked but Martins hoping to get it normalized soon. Martins on 01226 350241 and he tells me he'll be attending some model show North of Hadrians Wall next week. hth Chris

Unfortunately I think Coastal Crafts are also losing business due to not having a payment gateway integrated with their website. I've not had a cheque book in over 10 years and rarely get the opportunity to acquire postal orders. It's certainly something that has put me off ordering.

Edited by March

MR Paint are available in the UK from Blackbird Models: www.blackbirdmodels.co.uk

They don't have the full range but I just picked up their "faded" SU-27 colours though they have the more modern dark blues/greys for current SU-33 etc in stock.

I haven't used them yet, but there are various reviews on-line and they seem to be highly rated.

MR Paint are available in the UK from Blackbird Models: www.blackbirdmodels.co.uk

They don't have the full range but I just picked up their "faded" SU-27 colours though they have the more modern dark blues/greys for current SU-33 etc in stock.

I haven't used them yet, but there are various reviews on-line and they seem to be highly rated.

I ordered mine from Mr Paint in Slovakia directly about a month ago, as Blackbird didn't seem to have stocks of the colours I wanted.

HI

COASTAL CRAFT NOW HAVE ALL COLORS ON THE WEBSITE www.coastalcraftmodelsuk.com

AND THE BEST WAY TO ORDER IS RING OR EMAIL TO MAKE SURE THEY HAVE IN STOCK AND PAY BY CHEQUE OR PAYPAL

great news will be making an order in the not too distant future :)

EDIT: or not, the 3 SU34 colours I need are not available singly :(

Edited by PhantomBigStu