1/48th Suhkoi Su-7BKL Fitter A x 2 - completed!

I haven't seen your progress for a while, but you are doing a great job!!!! :popcorn:

There is so much to learn from this build.

Love the camo!!!!

Cheers,

• Like 1

Great work Rich, looking forward to seeing no. 2 progress.

James

same here, I think I will be glad to see the end one this project, as enjoyable as it is it's quite a bit of work!

• 2 weeks later...

Well back to the beasts, I have to say it’s a bit of a struggle at the moment as I don’t have a lot of motivation so things are getting a bit bogged down. Plus as usual I come back to this project after being away for a week and see all the little issues and faults that I’ve missed! Anyway……

I was all excited that my lovely Master Pitot Probe and Gun Barrel Set had arrived, that soon disappear when I saw the condition of the box they arrived in……crushed was being kind! They didn’t come away unscathed unfortunately, one set of probes were badly bent and those delicate resin vanes were all broken off on one set and half gone on the other. Was not the best way to start back into to this build!!! The probes were straightened, looked ok, but one of the vanes is beyond repair.

As you can see the kit one is a wee bit over scaled and those resin vane assembly is only 3.5mm (~ 1/8th of an inch) long and those vanes are tiny!!

DSCF3427_zpsi1klnxtb.jpg

DSCF3428_zps1gac9nmx.jpg

This is the damaged one I won’t be using, the repairs weren’t successful!

DSCF3429_zpsiav5nimp.jpg

So next was to test fit it….and that’s when I remembered I’d forgotten to fix something important, the actual mount for the pitot probe! Like the Su-17/22 the mount is totally wrong a way over scaled,

Pitot%20probe%20mount%20before_zpsvhdpz8

forgot to take a photo so here it is way earlier in the build.

…..so there was nothing left to do but to chop it off and make a new one from plastic rod.

DSCF3432_zpszzwupimw.jpg

DSCF3433_zpspqq5eygx.jpg

Not 100% perfect but so much closer to the real thing.

I’ve just brushed on some colour as a base for later airbrush coats, it’s another one of the touch-up jobs I need to do a bit later.

DSCF3442_zpsyetcnozp.jpg

The canopy has been and still is the biggest pain of this project, #2 will have the closed canopy and a pilot as well now! Had to buy one as the Eduard/kit seat is so horrible…..more on that at a later stage.

I’ve had so much trouble trying to get it all to fit together, the PE bits on the inside give the canopy an edge it shouldn’t have, though at least the resin bits get it to sit correctly. Trying to mount the thin heater wires to the flexible canopy was a nightmare!

DSCF3440_zpsn5wjkzmk.jpg

DSCF3441_zpsby2vk6o7.jpg

I may have to end up making a completely new edge for the canopy with thin plastic…which won’t be fun at all, but it should hide the PE edge and give the canopy the sharp edge it has……more airbrushing required!

Because of the original models didn’t have the clear sprue I had to make a new mirror unit for the canopy, so a quick bit of carving up of some resin was required. Now that looks the part, it's fitted and painted in the earlier shots.

DSCF3438_zpsyut26p5v.jpg

Details were added to the weapons mounts, plus the nose gear doors and weapons were fitted (I don’t know why I did those as they’re bound to be knocked off before I’m finished), plus a few other bit here and there.

DSCF3439_zpsst4vampt.jpg

DSCF3446_zpszz0ncsmp.jpg

The end is in sight, I have to finish tiding up the joins around the front section of the canopy, some more masking and re-painting before another matt coat as she is looking very patchy at the moment. Hopefully in the next day or so I can call it quits one this build….then start on #2!

• Like 5

I'll say it again, an insane amount of detail in everything! The cockpit really looks fantastic, no idea how you manage to paint so finely the tiny different bits (probably the first time I've seen properly true to scale canopy seals too). I can see what you mean about the lower lip of the rear canopy, I'm not sure if you can remove the etch from the frame but if you can maybe if you trim it in thickness so it doesn't wrap under at all and only matches size wise the inside frame, so no overlap underneath. You're probably 20 steps ahead of that thinking but just my :2c: , I'm sure you'll solve it anyways :thumbsup: Look forward to number 2!

Edited by mirageiv

Thanks.

I'll say it again, an insane amount of detail in everything! The cockpit really looks fantastic, no idea how you manage to paint so finely the tiny different bits (probably the first time I've seen properly true to scale canopy seals too). I can see what you mean about the lower lip of the rear canopy, I'm not sure if you can remove the etch from the frame but if you can maybe if you trim it in thickness so it doesn't wrap under at all and only matches size wise the inside frame, so no overlap underneath. You're probably 20 steps ahead of that thinking but just my :2c: , I'm sure you'll solve it anyways :thumbsup: Look forward to number 2!

I pulled apart a bit of the canopy yesterday to see how I can fix it......not and easy task! Now I'm not sure actually how or if I can fix it, definitely not how I had planned anyway! Half the issue is it being VacForm, not the easiest stuff to modify, if it was plastic I could have ground away the offending bits. I may try to remove the PE bits that are causing the issue I'm not sure how the remaining PE bit's will like it, and how big the gap around the cockpit sill will be. Will have a bit think about it today.

I've finished re-masking and painting so can now re-clear coat bits with Matt.

If I can sort out the canopy today she'll be pretty much finished!! :yahoo:

Plus I actually got quite a bit done on #2 as well, very happy about that one......though I have a feeling I may have to do some modification to the main wheel wells around the fuselage area. It looks so horrible I can't leave it like that.........now how to do it without punching holes in the fuselage! Not something I want to do now its all closed up!! :whistle:

Be prepared for an interesting update on that beasty!

• Like 1

All I’ll say about our elections is don’t blame me and the Pirate party didn’t get up!!

Anyway…. a small update but important for this project, I’ve sorted out the canopy issue! It’s not 100% perfect but at least it gets it back to a stage where it start to look right…..or better than it was.

The brass lower frame parts had to me removed, there was no other choice and really that detail cannot be seen in the end. The remaining brass insides of the frame then needed to be ground back level to the bottom of the canopy, not an easy task and a bit scary!

DSCF3447_zpsgo3694si.jpg

As can be seen there is a tint gap between the canopy and the internal frame, as this cannot be seen some careful should sort that out. That weird looking brush at the top is my Fibreglass brush, best abrasive tool you can have for clean-up work.

So it now sits better and I don’t have the really flat outside edge or bit protruding below. To get a sharper edge to the canopy I’d have had to sand it down even further but the canopy then becomes a bit too shallow, so for now I’ll leave well enough alone!

DSCF3450_zps714ldljk.jpg

The actual canopy is supported in three places, at the rear buy the opening/closing drive assembly and at the front by two rollers. Just before the canopy reaches the end of its travel the channels for the front guides raise up. This allows it to clear the ejection seat, hence why it appears to sit up so much. I just need to set that position up and she’s done.

DSCF3449_zpslbsd7ehx.jpg

DSCF3448_zpsjipj0kt2.jpg

Now I just need to chase off all the Dust & Brass bunnies and it should look much better. Really close up photo’s just show up all the tiny flaws, it’s actually not that bad looking at all…..much better than the original plastic one!

Edit..

I just found a good photo of the real canopy to show how it should look.

Su-7_PK_36_zpsqngp2psw.jpg

So I got it pretty close!

• Like 4

Well I can finally say she’s done, well at least the first one!

DSCF3469_zpst4hm3qd2.jpg

I just had to stop doing anything more to this one, and I’m very happy with the final product. There are always heaps of little things I’d have done differently looking back, plus changes and still even more bits I’d like to do. But you have to stop at some stage, and I’m getting behind on other projects!

I loved this build, the base model may be quite old now, but she’s the perfect base to just go crazy one. For someone wanting a long team project to go crazy with, then I could recommend a better model!

If you intend to build one of these with an open cockpit then I’d search high and low for the resin cockpit set as it’s beautiful, otherwise keep it closed as the Eduard PE one is horrible!

Anyway thanks for watching this build and thank you for all the great comments along the way, glad you enjoyed it.

More photos will be in the Galley and RFI sections.

DSCF3473_zpsfimyzjga.jpg

DSCF3486_zpsdtnaieyt.jpg

DSCF3465_zpsnrdkefa7.jpg

DSCF3463_zps4eowcfha.jpg

DSCF3461_zpsckcxc3bz.jpg

DSCF3467_zpsegw0z8lq.jpg

DSCF3471_zpsujgcpsez.jpg

DSCF3476_zpswuufgqk5.jpg

Plus big brother waiting to get into the photo as well.......complete with a community of Dust Bunnies!

DSCF3487_zpszfj2z6qg.jpg

DSCF3489_zps8ht0a1zw.jpg

I still have one to go but I’m slow down a bit with this one as I’m in no rush to finish this one in time. But I will finish it, should be fairly easy from now on with than one, as I’m not going to quite the same lengths as I did with this one.

Good news on that front, Sergei has arrived and will be making his debut soon in his fashionable 80’s attire!

• Like 3

Well I can finally say shes done, well at least the first one!

but shes the perfect base to just go crazy one. For someone wanting a long team project to go crazy with, then I could recommend a better model![/font]

:D

• Like 1

wow fantastic result Rich, the model combined with the base really conveys that Warsaw Pact feel very well indeed! Has to be one of the most detailed builds I've seen on these forums, top top work and that Su-22 looks equally as nice :thumbsup: .

• Like 1