Which Harrier?

xffw45343tg

Please can anyone tell me the serial of the GR.3 that was adapted for the FLIR/ NVG development implemented on the GR7?

I have a mountain of books but can find nothing but the occasional picture of the FLIR sensor in the LRMTS nose and a natty pilot wearing Nightbird(?) NVGs (and the rest of the kit, clearly).Any picture references of the actual aircraft would be v. handy too. :)

Cheers,

Kirk

Thanks Graham - running around the country on business at the mo but I'm reasonably sure that title is in my library. Too many books, not enough working grey cells to remember what is where!!

I found a few pictures of XW269's restoration on Jet Art's site (I'll dig out and post a link if anyone is interested) which appeared to show that the front cockpit was modified to hold the GR5's Moving Map Display in the centre of the instrument panel with an FA.2 style Multi-Purpose Colour Display to the right presumably on which to display the head down FLIR image/targeting stuff . It seemed as though the HUD was standard GR.3 fitment. Not sure if the primary instruments were relocated.

I can't think of any reasons why the rear cockpit would have been modified from standard T.4 fitment. Does anyone know differently? Also, I assume that if the development included integration of the NVGs, the T.4 instrument lighting (front cockpit only?) would have needed to be made NVG compatible (i.e. very green). Is there anything else that might show in a 1:72 model?

Cheers,

Kirk

I might have some stuff in a book on Farnborough, will look when home (400 miles away this week).

I have seen it refered to as a 'T6' (or T4.5) as the original proposal for Harrier II training was to use modified T4s for the two seat eleent of the training. Then they found the flight characteristics too dis-similar

• Like 1

See Andy Evans' book "BAe / McDonnell Douglas Harrier" (Crowood Aviation Series), pages 127-129 for details.

Used XW267 and XW269, the latter getting the nose art ("blindfolded crow" - see page 129) etc

Got home, searched for it, couldn't find it, thought, "that's funny, I'm sure I have that book", searched amazon, bought a copy, looked for unrelated insurance documents, found the book. GRRRR.

• Like 1