Revell 1/32 Hunter FGA9 79 Squadron & Echelon 1/32 WB188 Prototype

Well here goes, don't do many GB's but always like to try and do something a bit different, so here goes!! The last Hunter GB I built a 1/48 Aeroclub mix media kit, with mixed results.

AERO-HH14.jpg

So onto this build - I have a complete Revell 1/32 FGA9 and a nice xtradecal sheet (with 79 Squadron Chivenor markings) which would be a nice simple build.

I also have a 1/32 Echelon vac form Hunter which is not quite complete, missing the white metal parts (wheels, tub and a few other parts).

Hunter32-01.jpg

So the question is, do I build the lovely Revell kit OOB or can I combine both kits so I use the vac form wings/tailcone and create an early Mk1 or Mk4??

Help!!

Edited by SimonR
  • Like 5

Ooh the F.1/4 combination gets my vote :D Hope the Echelon decal sheet is still usable.

Yes, must admit thats my favoured option at the moment Col, think i'll cut one of the Echelon wings out and see if it fits, as for the decal sheet, i'm hoping some of it may be salvageable!

Cheers

Simon

Edited by SimonR
  • Like 1

Ok, so quick update while i'm at work!

Cut the Echelon wing out last night, great fit to the Revell fuselage but the white metal parts for the front of the intakes are missing from the Echelon kit, so don't think theres any way I can overcome this.

So FGA9 it is, unless of course I use the Echelon F4 tailpipe to do a GA11 or the F6 tailpipe, might just go with a RAF Chivenor 79 Squadron FGA9 and have a go at a conversion at a later date!!

Cheers

Simon

Is there any way you can use the leading edge and tip parts of the Echelon wings to convert the Revell ones? Or perhaps the Revell intake parts added to the Echelon wings?

Is there any way you can use the leading edge and tip parts of the Echelon wings to convert the Revell ones? Or perhaps the Revell intake parts added to the Echelon wings?

Not ruled that out yet Col but the decals in the Echelon kit are pretty shot as well on close inspection and not sure if theres any other decals available, may have to go with the safe option!

• Like 1

Not ruled that out yet Col but the decals in the Echelon kit are pretty shot as well on close inspection and not sure if theres any other decals available, may have to go with the safe option!

Just a thought re. The Echelon decals ( my set is the same, where the protective sheet has stuck to the varnish ) try wetting the decal as per normal WITH the protective sheet on. The varnish may dissolve....worth a try?

• Like 2

Yes worth a try Bill, think the decals may just be salvageable!

Anyway, quick update, still undecided on which mark to do, it turns out the intake fronts were on one of the other vac form sheets, so i've now assembled one of the wings, very rough at the moment, needs filler & sanding etc and the intake fronts need sticking!

HUNTER-WING1.jpg

Its not a bad fit, the wing roots will need some filling, question is - worth the trouble, what do you think guys?? I do like the 34 Squadron F5 nose art :-)

HUNTER-WING2.jpg

Well I'm biased as I love the 34 squadron nose art so yes, worth the effort, you've a few months left to get the wings blended in and looking good ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a lull (its been a mad week), I got some time in this weekend, made a start on the seat & cockpit, tidied them up a bit since I took these photos this morning.

Done the usual dry brushing on the instrument panel, think it should all look ok once buttoned up!

HUNTER-INSTUMENTS.jpg

I added so plasticard covered on tape for the cushions and some Verlinden etch seat belts and loosely placed the seat in the cockpit to see how its going to look!

HUNTER-PIT.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Edited by SimonR
  • Like 3

Thanks Duncan, to be fair the detail on the kits instrument panel is very nice, not so happy with the side consoles on the tub, not not too bad now i've added a few splashes of colour since I took these pics as well!

Need to get back to it, not done any modelling since Sunday

cheers

Simon

I've just realised that during my last Group Build, the FAA one in 2013, I built a 1/32 Matchbox Sea Venom, I was also in the mid stages of restoring my 1961 Vespa 125.

So for anyone who contributed to that build thread, here she is, I finished her last summer and got it on the road before the engine blew up so I've just finished rebuilding it again, the joys of scooters lol

VNB2T-01.jpg

• Like 3

I've just realised that during my last Group Build, the FAA one in 2013, I built a 1/32 Matchbox Sea Venom, I was also in the mid stages of restoring my 1961 Vespa 125.

So for anyone who contributed to that build thread, here she is, I finished her last summer and got it on the road before the engine blew up so I've just finished rebuilding it again, the joys of scooters lol

VNB2T-01.jpg

Looks MSG? :analintruder:

• Like 1

Afternoon all,

Very slow progress on this one i'm afraid, the result of having three sporty boys aged 12 and under that seem to consume most of my time!

I've constructed the kits wings and decided that an F4/5 conversion is beyond me at the moment, I just don't think i'm going to get the Echelon wing to fit over the intakes, so i'm going to go with a Chivenor 79 Squadron FGA9.

I may, time permitting have a go at the Echelon kit alongside this now the football season is almost over!!

Current state of play:

HUNTER-F9-1.jpg

• Like 1

Quick question, has anybody else built this kit and if so did you have any issues with the wing to fuselage fit, seems really difficult getting it to slot into the fuselage properly :banghead:

Quick question, has anybody else built this kit and if so did you have any issues with the wing to fuselage fit, seems really difficult getting it to slot into the fuselage properly :banghead:

I did on the port side

Rodders

• Like 1

I did on the port side

Rodders

Lucky you Rodders, I've got issues on both lol!!

Theres a very thin ridge on the wing root that I assume shout slot into the fuselage, but will it go in, will it heck!!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon chaps,

Quick progress update, had limited modelling time lately, but have managed to get the wings on the FGA9 and, I know, must be mad, I've made a start on the Echelon kit, quite enjoying it actually!!

Plan is to get them both to the constructed stage and then paint them in tandem.

Not sure if i'm going to do a F4 or F5 yet, might stick with the Chivenor theme and do a 145 Squadron F4 maybe - George cross marking should be easy enough to mask up.

Hopefully post some close up photos of the Echelon kit later in the week.

HUNTERSX2.jpg

• Like 1