Spitfire F Mk. 22. Can I Build It In A Day? FAIL!

dadgaddad

Those of you who have followed my builds will know two things; the pace is slower than glacial and finished builds are few and far between. This weekend the wife is away and the children are staying with their grandmother leaving me with the place to myself. So while I'm home alone I'm giving myself a challenge. Can I finish a kit before they all come home tomorrow? Let's find out.

First thing to do is find something suitable. It must be small so 1/72 scale and for ease of painting it should preferably be one colour and it should be the best plane ever so a Spitfire it is. A quick trip to the stash and this is on the bench.

box_zpssfvjpuay.jpg

I do like these post-war silver Spits so the choice is made. There should be an etch harness somewhere. Yup, there it is.

belts_zpskewq7aag.jpg

Sprues

sprues_zpsfa3qpzov.jpg

Clear parts

can1_zpscn4fkgml.jpg

Decals

decals_zpszz8tbkdg.jpg

The colour scheme

scheme_zps9pz9x44l.jpg

Wish me luck! :frantic:

Oh, by the way, please don't expect lots of brilliant photographs on this. I have neither the equipment or the time. Or the ability!

Edited by dadgaddad
  • Like 5

Construction starts with the prop. The back plate has a handy little tab which fits into the back of the prop which makes getting things the wrong way round really hard. Will probably manage it somehow.

prop%201_zpsrbnfva3z.jpg

Matt black straight onto the blades. Halfords primer on the rest. Put to one side and leave to dry.

prop%202_zps5benahsb.jpg

Edited by dadgaddad

At first sight the clear parts are impressively shiny and clear but a closer look reveals an insurmountable problem.

can2_zpsxg0vzvww.jpg

Both canopies are faulty. One has a bubble in the side and obvious flow line right across the top. The other not only has a bubble but is only part moulded on one side. I don't have a replacement for these. However, I have a plan and this problem will shortly find itself surmounted. First off, a quick email to Airfix . . .

Edited by dadgaddad

The cockpit is next. It's fairly well detailed with some nice touches on the sidewalls. The parts need quite a bit of cleaning up and there are some annoying ejector pin marks. The one in the seat is the most awkward but it should be mostly covered by the seat belts.

pit1_zpsltg0lroz.jpg

A couple of coats of paint and things already start to look better. I'm using Citadel's Straken Green.

pit2_zps4igzeevl.jpg

Once it's dry I pick out a few details and give it a wash and some drybrushing.

• Like 3

Have you considered building this as part of the current Spitfire group build? Would fit nicely

Not really. It was more of a spur of the moment thing. I might do something else for the GB, there's still time.

A quick update. The interior is painted and washed with a mix of Burnt Sienna and Black oils and highlighted with the Straken Green just lightened with a drop of white. The control column is in place and the decal for the IP is also on. A few other small parts have been primed. Next job is the harness.

bits1_zpsizbiekot.jpg

• Like 1

With the pit installed the next job is to get the fuselage sides together. This could have been tricky but it went together well with just some tape to hold it in place while I got on with the wings. The wheel wells have been primed and painted silver. Again we have some irritating ejector pin marks in very inaccesible spots so I have just left them. Fortunately, once the wings are fixed they aren't too visible.

fuse1_zps2fcufqte.jpg

fuse%202_zpsi8ot8gim.jpg

• Like 1

Wings on! Starting to really look the part now.

wings%20on_zpsjhggt54e.jpg

I've adjusted the port wing slightly where the flap was a little out of line. There has also been a bit more filling along the upper and lower cowls. Propeller tips have been painted as have the fuselage lights. The plan is to get it to primer tonight than get it painted and finished in the morning before everyone comes home.

Edited by dadgaddad
  • Like 3

If you're using a Halfords can for the Aluminium, use it as a primer coat - it etches into the plastic and being silver, it'll highlight any flaws. I've done this for some years now and it works surprisingly well.

thanks for the tip, The Wooksta! but it's too late. I'm using Revell Aquacolor silver over Halford's acrylic primer and the primer's already on!

Edited by dadgaddad

With the primer on I can see a few little areas still in need of attention. This about all I can do for now, the primer and filler need to dry out some more before I continue. Things are on schedule, though. The main part of it is now primed as are the small items. Tomorrow morning I will try and get this finished.

prime%202_zpsfouc5rl2.jpg

prime1_zpslitgpsgp.jpg

prime%205_zpst8ounhpf.jpg

• Like 2

Well, I know I said I'd finished for the time being, but you all knew that wouldn't last long, didn't you? No photos just yet but I have finished sanding and filling and put the final coat of primer on. I've also been painting a few small bits like tyres and undercarriage etc.

Good work so far especially overcoming the ejector pin marks and canopy problems. I haven't made any of the new generation Airfix models yet as they're stupidly expensive here but builds mentioning some part or other being short shot seem to be the norm so I'm not sure if I'll bother.

Keep up the good work - looking forward to the reveal.

This is where we are as of this morning.

prime%206_zpsobx1ptfr.jpg

prime%207_zpstjdvyyho.jpg

In addition the wheels and tyres are painted, the spinner is done as are the undercarriage legs and a canopy which means this is pretty much done except for the top coat and final assembly.

Edited by dadgaddad
  • Like 1

A few coats of silver and this is the result. The paint is Revell's Aquacolor and I have to say it's lovely to use. Thins with just a drop of tap water, goes on really easily and washes out with water when you're done.

silver%202_zpsaxxyrszp.jpg

silver%201_zps3vtczct9.jpg

silver%203_zpsyt6noypl.jpg

Next question - should I now apply a gloss coat? I think yes, what do you think?

Edited by dadgaddad
  • Like 2