Panzer IV STGB Chat

smuts

8 hours ago, Plasto said:

As an idea and given its early days why not make it a combo GB to cover Pz III and Pz IV variants / chassis...

Cheers

Plasto

In that case it would no longer be a Single Type Group Build that gets a Go! with 25 participants, but something like Workhorses of Wehrmacht GB and subject to a cruel vote in November, assuming it had gathered at least 30 interested members by that! V-P

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Plasto said:

As an idea and given its early days why not make it a combo GB to cover Pz III and Pz IV variants / chassis. 

This is widens the scope which may attract more participants. I'd also ask how likely is it the Pz III would get a GB on its own... Anyhow food for thought...

Cheers

Plasto

I do see what you mean but I agree with V-P - this STGB has been around for a while and hasn't got enough sign-ups yet but, if it has to go to a vote as well, against some already popular proposed GBs, I think it's unlikely to get the go-ahead. For the moment we'll try and get the 25 for a single type GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Which, for its STGB status, is already exceptionally wide in its scope including MBT:s, SPAA, SPG:s, SPAT, ARV, assault guns, tank destroyers and even a heavy howitzer ammunition loading vehicle... Did I forget something, the command and observation post versions were included in MBT:s - oh the underwater versions :banghead:. V-P

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Stix,

After the heart breaking double-ruination of my Nashorn way back when, I always planned on making another, but I keep getting distracted. So this GB would be a great 'kick up the exhaust pipe'.

I reckon it'll be another year before 'Ever evolving' is completed (with AFVs and figures as well) so I'm well up for a GB that isn't going to start for a year or more yet!

Count me in!

Rearguards,

Badder

Great news! I have added you to the list. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silver Fox said:

Count me in as well, not sure what it'll be but it will be in 1/48th scale.

Brilliant! I have added you to the list and you take us past the half way point!

Only 12 more sign-ups and we have a GB!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

12 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

In that case it would no longer be a Single Type Group Build that gets a Go! with 25 participants, but something like Workhorses of Wehrmacht GB and subject to a cruel vote in November, assuming it had gathered at least 30 interested members by that! V-P

Yes I understand,

I did look at the M3/M4 STGB as an example of a STGB with two different types as the main protagonists. 

Prima facie the Pz III and Pz IV are as 'related' as the M3/M4.

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plasto said:

Yes I understand,

I did look at the M3/M4 STGB as an example of a STGB with two different types as the main protagonists. 

Prima facie the Pz III and Pz IV are as 'related' as the M3/M4.

Cheers

Plasto

Nope. I believe they share the same track pattern, but everything else is non-related. Or at least not closely related... I'm not that good with the details. V-P

• Like 2

Hence Prima Facie...

If we use the M3/M4 STGB as a reference point. As it's a STGB and currently slated to run.

I could build an early M3 Lee or a M51 Super Sherman within the remit of a single type even though the actual subjects are wildly diverse.

Possibly more diverse on first look than a Pz III Pz IV.

I don't think it's beyond the scope of a STGB to do that as there is a pre existing example. 

I'm not saying we should just that a mix of 'similar / related' types in a STGB is not seemingly a reason to exclude one. 

Food for thought. 

• Like 1

I should know better as my GB mojo is running on empty just now but as a cupboard armour fan who has just finished Beevor's Ardennes 1944-45 I'd quite like to do a Panzer Lehr something. Pzkpfw IV or  Stug IV perhaps? Panzer lehr? Well, they're still the baddies but afaics, not particularly nasty baddies like some of the Waffen SS formations were.

Steve.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ozzy said:
Just picked this bad boy up, off Sonofjim in the for sale section.

image.jpg

Just had a look at the goodies myself.  I had to force myself to exit though as I really shouldn't get distracted from my diorama. I did drool first though!

I haven't had a close look at this particular Pz IV, but the fact it has moulded zimmerit is a nice bonus.

Have fun Ozzy!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Badder said:

Just had a look at the goodies myself.  I had to force myself to exit though as I really shouldn't get distracted from my diorama. I did drool first though!

I haven't had a close look at this particular Pz IV, but the fact it has moulded zimmerit is a nice bonus.

Have fun Ozzy!

Rearguards,

Badder

Its a very nice kit Badder, I built one last year to go on a 50 ton platformwagen. The zimmerit is nicely done as it all comes on a separate sprue to add the Zimmermited parts to the build.

image.jpg

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Since im in on this Grp. Build can anyone tell me +/- with 1/35th vs. 1/48th armor ? I havent built any armor since ‘04. And im also in the M3/M4 build so maybe pertinent to that as well ? 

I've not built any 1/48 armour, most of the kits I've seen they look a scaled down moulding of the 1/35 kit they make. You get more individual parts with a 1/35 kit, as some 1/48 have bits pre moulded onto larger parts. That's my:2c:.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Its a very nice kit Badder, I built one last year to go on a 50 ton platformwagen. The zimmerit is nicely done as it all comes on a separate sprue to add the Zimmermited parts to the build.

Ah, yes, I remember seeing that but didn't know what kit it was (manufacturer-wise)

I always think it's a good idea to buy second kits at some point, as the first builds/paint-jobs are often a learning curve and never quite achieve perfection. Even the likes of Miguel Jiminez advise buying second kits. It's something I did in the distant past and something I intend to do nowadays as well. I already have another Churchill, Tiger I and Universal Carrier in the stash waiting.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Badder said:

Ah, yes, I remember seeing that but didn't know what kit it was (manufacturer-wise)

I always think it's a good idea to buy second kits at some point, as the first builds/paint-jobs are often a learning curve and never quite achieve perfection. Even the likes of Miguel Jiminez advise buying second kits. It's something I did in the distant past and something I intend to do nowadays as well. I already have another Churchill, Tiger I and Universal Carrier in the stash waiting.

Rearguards,

Badder

Looking at my Collection I'm not scared of building kits again, 3 Sherman's, 2 universal carriers, 4 tigers, 2 panzer IV's. As the panzer IV was the work horse of German forces, the displaying possibility are very varied and mini art have a new set of tank riders. So this one will be whitewashed and on the eastern front.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Since im in on this Grp. Build can anyone tell me +/- with 1/35th vs. 1/48th armor ? I havent built any armor since ‘04. And im also in the M3/M4 build so maybe pertinent to that as well ? 

Although I've never built an AFV in anything other than 1/35th scale, I personally think it's the best scale of the two you cite. The detail is better for a start, and while that obviously creates a more realistic model, it also provides the opportunity for more realistic painting/weathering. It's obvious really. Imagine trying to paint the eyes and lips on a 1/48th figure and compare the same task on a figure nearly half the size again. The same applies for AFV's and any other subjects.

Yes, a 1/48th model is quicker to build and paint (there being less parts and less volume/surface area to deal with) and some people can paint them so well as to fool people into thinking for a moment that they are 1/35th, but the detailing is always a give away

Another factor of course, is the price. Generally, the smaller the scale the cheaper the kit. This does not stand for things like battleships obviously! Also less glue, paint etc is required to build and paint a 1/48th model.

And a 1/48th model is easier to display and store if you have limited space.

One last point though... there is a far greater choice of AFV's in the 1/35th range.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours.

I hope you find that helpful,

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 29/09/2017 at 8:18 PM, Badder said:

Have fun Ozzy!

Rearguards,

Badder

My pleasure good sir :lol:.

I'd be in for this GB.  I do have a bit of a thing for PZIV's 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, sonofjim said:

My pleasure good sir :lol:.

I'd be in for this GB.  I do have a bit of a thing for PZIV's 

I think you sorted me and Stix out with kits for this GB, now we just need a few more tank builders to join and were away. :yahoo:

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think you sorted me and Stix out with kits for this GB, now we just need a few more tank builders to join and were away. :yahoo:

That's me Ozzy .

I hope this GB can get going soon .It'll be a cracker .:yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/09/2017 at 23:41, Plasto said:

Hence Prima Facie...

If we use the M3/M4 STGB as a reference point. As it's a STGB and currently slated to run.

I could build an early M3 Lee or a M51 Super Sherman within the remit of a single type even though the actual subjects are wildly diverse.

Possibly more diverse on first look than a Pz III Pz IV.

I don't think it's beyond the scope of a STGB to do that as there is a pre existing example. 

I'm not saying we should just that a mix of 'similar / related' types in a STGB is not seemingly a reason to exclude one. 

Food for thought. 

I must admit I don't know how the M4 STGB became the M4/M3 STGB but I see what you mean.

As I see it - this GB of smuts' is gathering more interest at the moment so we'll leave it as it is for now. If smuts wants to adjust his idea and Enzo agrees that we could include Pz IIIs then that's fine. If we run out of sign ups to reach 25 in the next month or so we can ask Enzo if we can include Pz IIIs if current signups agree - as long as it remains a STGB that doesn’t have to go for a vote. I doubt it would get the vote and go-ahead.

There is an alternative way forward - we could start a thread for a separate Pz III STGB and hope that everyone who has signed up for this thread signs up as well so we could have two AFV GBs in prospect..........just a thought......

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

On 28/09/2017 at 20:34, GREG DESTEC said:

Sign me up please.

I have a couple in the stash. Be nice to do an armour GB for a change.

Cheers Greg😀

Hi Greg. You are on the list :thumbsup: What are you thinking you might build?

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1