Airfix 1:72 BE2c

I think you have to upload images to some other server first, and then link to the image via the url using the "image" button in this reply section here on this thread, the button is below the smiley face, and a little to the left.

• Like 1

Thanks Housesparrow. For some reason the toolbar with the icons isn't there when I use my phone so I've switched to the laptop.

First up is the engine:

DSC_0003.jpg

and here with the cowling on. I have the Eduard etch which has a piece for this but I just couldn't get a smooth curve on it so went with the kit part:

29b32ccc-5a66-4ba6-a05b-9eea9ca802df.jpg

I did try that but it kept getting bent out of shape when trying to fit it. It's probably more because I was doing it late at night and not taking care. I had to take off at least three different etch parts and redo becuase I wasn't looking closely at the instructions.

Here is the ip which is a bit odd. Why did they colour the ip but not the map display box? It's going to be hard to make a good match. Also the box feels a bit big to me so I have to decide whether to live with it or work something else out.

DSC_0010.jpg

• Like 2

I just ordered mine, including the PE, from Hannants. Nice to see the PE is worth it, that's a huge difference. The Barracuda seats are exquisite, I'll be using one for my RE8.

Ian

I might even make this my next build, Airfix's oldest followed by their newest!

• Like 1

Managed to get a bit done today. In my attempt to pull the map box off I ruined the entire thing so scratch built a new box and just painted on some details. It may not be as detailed as the Eduard part but at least it will be the same colour as the rest of the woodwork.:

DSC_0024.jpg

I also had another go at the etched cowling/air scoop and was more successful than last night:

DSC_0031.jpg

I had a go at painting up the floor and adding some bracing wires to the fuselage sides:

DSC_0025.jpg

146023142451984013734.jpg

Edited by markleecarter
  • Like 3

Always check your reference pictures! Looking over a few photographs I can clearly see that the rigging coming from the engine area is actually quite a bit higher up, coming from the engine bearer that is just visible between the cowling and the engine, not from the cowling itself. Note to self: ignore the rigging plan in the kit instructions!

It won't be easy with the wing on, and with no airbrush, but from where you are now your best bet would be to try to mask the framework with thin tape, then paint white, or at least a very pale version of your CDL colour, then remove the masking and give it another thin coat. That should give you the translucent effect you want. My usual method is to draw the framework with a thin marker pen, then spray thinly over it.

Good luck!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

Luckily the wing is only balanced on! Using a pen is an excellent idea which inspired me to give it a try but I thought I'd try pencil because I can have a bit more control over how heavy or dark the lines are. This is after a very light outline with a light brushing of cdl on top. Do you think I should go darker?

DSC_0058.jpg

• Like 5

That looks excellent, I'd leave it at that!

If you go darker you would really need to lighten the cdl too, to give the "sharp sunlight" look as per your pic above. Also notice on that pic that the white of the roundel appears darker than the fabric. I don't have any "indirect sunlight" pics to hand but I'd say you have got it pretty close!

Ian

• Like 1