MFH 1/12 Porsche 917k

Fitting the main exhaust manifolds - rest of them are fitted after the engine is dropped into the frame, but I put one in place just for a few piccies...

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

Just before I did this, I took a bit of a risk and sprayed the whole engine with Tamiya 'smoke' which I hoped would 'darken' everything a little bit - I felt it was looking a little bright. I think it has worked, but I am sure I'll spray some 'matt' clear as well. Lots of touch-ups needed - the tiny details that make this sort of thing...

So - not 100% finished, but I took some fancy pictures anyway...

• Like 2

I wouldn't bother with the rest of the car. It's perfect as it is.

Or.... Diorama with engine being removed. Or car being built. Don't see that often. Or car crashed into a barrier with flames and bits flying everywhere, with the engine hiding in the grass nearby. Or, or..... Never mind I'm getting too excited lol.

Ashley

• Like 1

...which of course they now do :)

I can put this one in the car, and get a second to display - learn from this one lol

So at this point I couldn't resist adding another unfinished engine into the shots - for comparison!

McLaren MP4/4 Honda

DSCN1368.jpg

DSCN1352.jpg

At first I got all incredulous about the size difference - 'advance in technology' etc - but of course if you double the Honda (V6) it becomes almost the same length as the Flat 12! Slightly narrower though.... ;)

DSCN1328.jpg

DSCN1321.jpg

DSCN1323.jpg

DSCN1333.jpg

DSCN1331.jpg

DSCN1330.jpg

• Like 4

I need to point out the cruelty of these posts; either I get important bits cut off me by my wife for buying this kit, or I have to watch this thread like a kid with his nose pressed up against a toy shop window watching all the rich kids buying all the toys.

Heartless, I tell you.......

Nice work, keep me pressed againt the window.

Les

• Like 1

Sorry chap! :)

Right - I knew I would not be able to wait - time to fit it into its cage!

I knew from a previous try that this was going to be very very tight - but possible.

IMG_1888.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

Fitted gearbox didn't really make any difference...the tight bit was the rear corner of the cam-covers...

IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

You can see the minor chipping - nothing that won't touch up nicely (or not even be seen, as in the case below...)

IMG_1895.jpg

I came across one problem - probably caused by the framework not being 101% square...the rear right cam cover corner was stopping the engine from sitting flat on its rear engine mounts. I tried everything, but with no joy.

I had to cut some metal! I took a little off the engine corner (these bits would be hidden) but that was not enough, so in the end I removed a section of the tubing so that I could remove some of the tube that interfered with the engine - it is a shame, but once fixed only I (and you lot!) would know it was there - I carved away behind the tube, and re-glued it in position once the engine itself was fixed securely and square.

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

Once sanded and touched up with paint, you won't know...

I used some pins in the place of screws that are fixed later in the build process, so make sure everything was lined up - I could not get screws into the engine mounts themselves, so used brass rod to locate (and glue) - it ain't going anywhere now! Left over night to set....

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

In the morning, everything looked ok in the daylight! It really does look like the beast has been caged!

DSCN1425.jpg

DSCN1426.jpg

DSCN1427.jpg

DSCN1428.jpg

Of course had to do some engine comparison shots with the FW16 engine I am also working on...

DSCN1433.jpg

DSCN1431.jpg

Incidentally, I chose to paint the framework a dark blue/grey which I think has come out well. MFH says semi-gloss black, which I think is what the 'original' 917k used, but many more recent pictures show a lighter grey color - in fact there are all sorts of greys used!

I didn't want to use black as all the tubing tended to blend into everything else, so went with this dark grey. I like it.

Lots of tubes to add to this framework now to stop the engine falling out (right!)...

• Like 4

At the risk of making me desperately unpopular, looking at pictures of real 917 engines makes me think the the fibreglass cooling shroud and intake trumpets are too transparent. They should be translucent but you should only be able to see light through them, not details.

Whatever, I'm itching to see the rest of this build!

Les

At the risk of making me desperately unpopular, looking at pictures of real 917 engines makes me think the the fibreglass cooling shroud and intake trumpets are too transparent. They should be translucent but you should only be able to see light through them, not details.

Whatever, I'm itching to see the rest of this build!

Les

B*stard!! lol - only joking :) ....you are correct and indeed this was mentioned on another forum. There does seem to be a huge variation in how these appear in photos - I guess because of the age range - original cars/old pictures, and restored/new photos.

But it does look like these need to be slightly more opaque.

My answer was that if I make an 'engine only' model, I'll tweak this. For this one, I'll keep it consistent - actually when complete all you see is the fan (unless you open the bodywork)

I'm currently adding the crazy amount of tubing that surrounds this beast - more pictures soon!

Also working on the FW16 engine, which looks tiny in comparison!

I found your thread through an internet search....I am currently building the same kit and I am in almost exactly the same place with it as you....I just inserted the engine into the rear framework structure.

I wanted to mention I ran into pretty much the same bumps in the road as you....routing the fuel lines...and I also found that the rear portion of the cam covers interfered with the frame structure. In my case I filed clearance into the frames rather than the cam covers, but the results are about the same. I think it was a slight engineering error in the design of the kit, good to know we both ran into it, as that gives me hope that I have not screwed something up....yet.

This is my fourth MFH kit (Porsche 956, Ferrari 250 GTO, Ferrari F2008) and like you I find them addicting.

No matter how carefully I approach these kits, the basic frustrations and challenges remain the same. They are too complex to trial fit most of the assemblies, and everything has to be painted before assembly. The result is having to make numerous fit adjustments for the first time after everything is painted....resulting in a whole lot of touch ups and re-painting of parts. These challenges are complicated by tolerance stacking....a small error in fitting early in the build tends to become more and more of an issue as sub-assemblies stack on top of sub-assemblies. Because of this, as outstanding as the kits are, I have sort of a love/hate relationship with them and always find them challenging....I have never finished one without a good assortment of choice four letter words along the way.

I hope you don't mind me including a couple of photos....I always find individual takes on the same kits to be interesting.

917%20engine%202_zpsfd5bpbpp.jpg

917%20engine%201_zpsbqpyzegb.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent! No worries at all!

I'm already seeing things that you have done that I wish I had done lol

I think you have the colour/weathering of the resin parts spot on. I'm still to play with powders, oils etc in terms of weathering.

Not finished an MFH yet - just the engines, but I am sure I will come across plenty of stumbling blocks going forward. Your description of the 'process' sounds spot on!

What could be better than a mighty 917 engine?

TWO! Marvellous!

V, is it a photography thing or does the engine sit at a slight angle to the frame? Some of the fibreglass engine shroud (over the ends of the cylinder banks) looks quite yellow. Not adversely critical, just interested.

Kirk

Some 'in the frame' shots - crazy thing is that there is about the same again to add in terms of tubing! It really was a caged beast!'

DSCN1492.jpg

DSCN1504.jpg

DSCN1502.jpg

You can see all the little bits I need to touch up with paint....

DSCN1513.jpg

DSCN1512.jpg

DSCN1511.jpg

More size comparisons....

IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1970.jpg

DSCN1509.jpg

• Like 2

What could be better than a mighty 917 engine?

TWO! Marvellous!

V, is it a photography thing or does the engine sit at a slight angle to the frame? Some of the fibreglass engine shroud (over the ends of the cylinder banks) looks quite yellow. Not adversely critical, just interested.

Kirk

...answering from MY point of view - as I have mentioned, the colours of the resin parts are hugely variable in different photos -- I think V has got the opaqueness better than I have...

There are som many different source pics, I am amazed how similar our builds are lol

It is hard to get the engine lined up because visually I'm not sure it there are any lines on the frame that are parallel! My engine mounts didn't line up, so I had to 'do it by eye!

I'm pleased to see V has used the 'bronze/brown' colour for the cam covers - I have seen some models with ali color - again, I am sure it varies!

• Like 1