MFH 1/12 Porsche 917k

Right - back from my China travels, and a 'recovery' day meant a bit more modelling (and the opportunity for more MFH purchases - OMG I may be addicted)

So...continuing on with the engine (did you see that MFH are about to release a whole host of 'engine only' kits - the ones in cars are usually totally hidden - like this one will be. Damn them!!)

Fitted the resin shroud (guides the cooling air around the cylinder heads, from the massive fan on the top) after again tinting it with some brown tamiya 'weathering' wash - it just gives the already-yellow MFH resin parts a slightly darker look more in keeping with the real thing...

DSC06769_LUCiD.jpg

IMG_0156_LUCiD.jpg

IMG_0159_LUCiD.jpg

The fuel rails fit on top of this over the inlets - I had to widen some of the holes through that reson shroud to allow the rails to sit properly - the stretched holes won't be seen once everything is fitted. I used a milling bit in the Dremel to do this - a round file would also work. I managed to crack one of the end tabs off whilst stretching the shroud into position - bit of super glue repair, and hopefully it won;t be noticed...

Once the shroud was in place, I could fit some of the ancillaries that I had already assembled - such as distributors, alternators etc...

IMG_0147_LUCiD.jpg

I have used a few after-market nuts and bolts in these visible parts - filing or cutting off the MFH cast items. I have not gone mad on these as many really won't be seen. I'll save that for the separate engine kits I will no doubt make! :mental::whistle::rolleyes:

Really like this little assembly - fuel system... added a few PE screw heads to the clear windows, and will have more detail to add later...

IMG_0149_LUCiD.jpg

I like how the gearbox looks - lucked out on that 'weathering' :)

IMG_0142_LUCiD.jpg

I'll be going back over everything and touching up nuts and bolts etc...

• Like 2

I have to ask...with all those metal parts, what the blazes do you guys use to GLUE these parts together...??!! I'm thinking it must be some sort of epoxy, or super glue, but in what amounts...? I know super glue hates being put on in LARGE amounts, unless I suppose you are using a kicker...?

Regards,

oldracer

...actually very small amounts of super glue!

Larger parts usually have pins/holes to help hold - I guess you could use epoxy, but so far super glue is doing fine...

Lovely job, I'm watching this enthusiastically as the 1/24th version will probably be my next build.

Did you manage to catch which engines MFH are going to be making?

Just out of interest, how much can you pic up MFH kits up for in China?

Edit: I just saw the engines on the MFH site, wonder if it's the same 917K engine that's they have in the 1/12 car?

Edited by Borez

The swarf you can see around the PE screw heads in this shot has since been blown off!

IMG_0170_LUCiD.jpg

Fuel rails added, along with fan and fuel system - dry fit for now as lots of wiring/fuel lines etc to plan!

DSC06775_LUCiD.jpg

You can see some of the detail I have added to the end of the fuel rail - a brass fitting and some screw heads. Resin block will hold various springs and throttle linkages...

DSC06779_LUCiD.jpg

DSC06781_LUCiD.jpg

IMG_0166_LUCiD.jpg

DSC06785_LUCiD.jpg

Showing some of the extra fittings I have added...

IMG_0169_LUCiD.jpg

DSC06782_LUCiD.jpg

IMG_0164_LUCiD.jpg

Next step is to start to add some of the detail work - fuel pipes, wiring etc as well as throttle linkages, springs and pulley/belt detail etc...

IMG_0160_LUCiD.jpg

• Like 3

Lovely job, I'm watching this enthusiastically as the 1/24th version will probably be my next build.

Did you manage to catch which engines MFH are going to be making?

Just out of interest, how much can you pic up MFH kits up for in China?

Edit: I just saw the engines on the MFH site, wonder if it's the same 917K engine that's they have in the 1/12 car?

Thanks mate...

No idea about China prices for these - I get mine direct from MFH (Japan) shipped to me here in New York. I think Hireboy is the main UK supplier?

You do see these marked up quite a lot by some fairly well established online retailers (especially in Belgium!) but I like dealing direct with MFH - communication is very quick - as is postage in fact - and if I have had ANY issues (broken bits etc) Kyoko has sorted it very very quickly...

On a related note, when I first went to Shanghai for work, I of course looked for model shops, thinking they would be cheaper than here - not a bit of it! In fact most things were more expensive, or so close as to make the transport hassle not worth it - that was IF you could fine a model shop - even the (Chinese) DJI quad stuff - another hobby - was exactly the same.

Maybe Japan would be cheaper, depending on exchange rate etc - I hope to visit some day and find out!

I think the engines will be the same, yes - maybe some additional parts like and engine stand to 'display' - maybe the odd gear lever where appropriate, as on their 250gto engine...

Having built the MP4/4 engine, and ready to hide it in the car - I am sure I will get them all!

What do you guys use for 'washes' - the ones that bring out the detail in the castings....I have used some 'pre-mixed' Tamiya stuff - smells like paint brush cleaner so I assume enamel - anyway, I don't like the result - it is so thin it seems to 'spread' easily rather than just run along where I want it - and then when it dries it seems to leave black particles, rather than nice thin lines....

You can see it in the close-up shots below, where you can see a 'spread' rather than a nice crisp line...

stain.jpg

stain%202.jpg

And below you can see the 'clumping' of black....

stain3.jpg

I was just thinking how good the washes look on the wider shots...cam covers look great!

Meant to add, I'm going to be experimenting with something new (for me) for washes soon. I'm going to be using artists dry pigments in various mediums, dependent on base paint material. They will be the finest ground pigments I can afford and will mix them with turps, shellac, water, detergent and PVA!

Edited by vontrips

Wow! Just caught up with this, I've always been a big fan of these monsters! That engine could almost be out of a Star Trek special effects shop....

Ian

Looking really nice CN,

With regards to the enamel washes you really need to apply them over a gloss or clear coat finish so they can "run" using capillary action. If you apply them to a matt or rough finish they soak in like you have displayed above.

Regards

Keith.

Thanks mate...

No idea about China prices for these - I get mine direct from MFH (Japan) shipped to me here in New York. I think Hireboy is the main UK supplier?

You do see these marked up quite a lot by some fairly well established online retailers (especially in Belgium!) but I like dealing direct with MFH - communication is very quick - as is postage in fact - and if I have had ANY issues (broken bits etc) Kyoko has sorted it very very quickly...

On a related note, when I first went to Shanghai for work, I of course looked for model shops, thinking they would be cheaper than here - not a bit of it! In fact most things were more expensive, or so close as to make the transport hassle not worth it - that was IF you could fine a model shop - even the (Chinese) DJI quad stuff - another hobby - was exactly the same.

Maybe Japan would be cheaper, depending on exchange rate etc - I hope to visit some day and find out!

Yes, you can get them shipped to the UK direct from Japan too for around £40 cheaper ( including shipping ) on the 1/24th models. That's definitely the buying route I'd be taking. Edited by Borez

Well, I think will need to take import duties and VAT into account. That will turn the 40 pound profit into a loss (unless you dir bring this into the equation.

fantastic engine you are creating.

Well, I think will need to take import duties and VAT into account. That will turn the 40 pound profit into a loss (unless you dir bring this into the equation.

fantastic engine you are creating.

I buy vaping stuff from China and Japan all the time and I've never been hit by import duty and/or VAT once. I got a DSLR camera lens last week from Hong Kong no problem at all. If you did get hit it wouldn't be any more expensive than buying here anyway so it's definitely worth a punt on a one off model.

Edited by Borez

Gluing stuff together now!

IMG_0324_LUCiD.jpg

Have glued the fuel rail blocks in place, and added some of the wire management fittings (the matt black tabs)

IMG_0326_LUCiD.jpg

Also added the throttle actuators and springs...

IMG_0333_LUCiD.jpg

IMG_0337_LUCiD.jpg

Next are some belts and pulleys and then start with the wiring and plumbing.

I still feel there is another layer of 'texture' and 'depth' to be applied with various powders and washes....

IMG_0334_LUCiD.jpg

• Like 3

Gluing stuff together now!

IMG_0324_LUCiD.jpg

Have glued the fuel rail blocks in place, and added some of the wire management fittings (the matt black tabs)

IMG_0326_LUCiD.jpg

Also added the throttle actuators and springs...

IMG_0333_LUCiD.jpg

IMG_0337_LUCiD.jpg

Next are some belts and pulleys and then start with the wiring and plumbing.

I still feel there is another layer of 'texture' and 'depth' to be applied with various powders and washes....

IMG_0334_LUCiD.jpg

Lovely stuff.

Do those wire management pieces come with the kit?

I also received my 917 Hayes workshop manual the other day in the post for when I build the 1/24th version of this kit. Interesting read, definitely worth the buy.

fantastic stuff and very well executed. I really love it

Edited by Pouln

That is looking the business.

Have you tried Tamiya acrylic smoke?

Any chance of a picture of the engine

with say, a Humbrol tin to show the size?

I'll grab a pic next time I set up - in the mean time...

DSC06501.jpg

It has a weight to it, that's for sure!

I'll grab a pic next time I set up - in the mean time...

DSC06501.jpg

It has a weight to it, that's for sure!

That's a big engine, way bigger than a 1/24th kit that's for sure. ( well actually it should be twice the size ;) )

• 2 weeks later...

Right - had dad visiting from the UK, so a bit of a break - back on now!

About to start plumbing the engine, but made a start on the tubular chassis framework as well. Need 4 hands to hold it togther as you glue, but once I had figured the best order of events, it actually went together ok.

IMG_1468.jpg

MFH provide an 'actual size' plan view of this part of the chassis tubes to help align everything...

IMG_1466.jpg

Ummm - this is going to be a very tight fit, especially being careful not to damage any paint etc....just like every engine I have ever done this with in 'real' scale!

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

I didn't get overly fussy about the clean joints - if you look at old pictures of the real thing, the welding was pretty rough!

Still just a first layer of primer (over metal etch primer) so I can see where there are cracks etc..

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

Colours are close to those I can find on the internet of older engines - I mixed up my own 'bronze/brown' - I think I posted some source pics earlier in the thread.

• Like 3

Wondered where you'd disappeared to.

Lovely work.

I did think about trying to scratch build this frame in 1/24th scale over the Fujimi kit but I'm looking at this one and thinking that without any plans to scale ( although I do have these blueprints ) it'll be a hell of a lot of work.

So this has made my mind up, I'm going for the 1/24th MFH version of this car for my next build.

Looking forward to your updates ;)

Edited by Borez