Airfix 1/48 Defiant Mk.I L7005

So, I read the books, trawl the web, look at the photographs, gather and print the necessary decals, and start the model. It goes quite smoothly (with one noticeable masking glitch), and at last it's finished. And as I'm admiring my handiwork, I get a chatty email from a friend who is modelling the same aeroplane, and who refers me to the photo below :

Image_E_Defiants_being_prepared_for_thei

Now I'm sure that I had already seen that picture, but I had completely missed the oversize fuselage roundel! So now I have a dilemma, which I think I'll deal with by 'sleeping on it' for a while, after which I may choose to 'revise' the rear fuselage. In the meantime, here is my (not terribly accurate) model of L7005, the most successful Defiant of all

1-IMG_0381a.JPG

1-IMG_0382a.JPG

1-IMG_0388a.JPG

1-IMG_0390a.JPG

1-IMG_0391a.JPG

1-IMG_0393a.JPG

Thanks for looking,

Ian

• Like 33

I also think so.

Maybe the roundel has been corrected a few weeks or a few months later. Who cares.

Your Defiant is terrific and I love it!!!

I have to order one as far as possible

(It's funny, but I think the Defiant seems to be the aircraft of the year 2016. On practically all forums you see the

new Airfix Defiant, either in 1/72th or in 1/48th scale)

But that's rather a good new, isn't it?

Good night to everybody. Polo.

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Great job. I think your Daffy looks great. It must be frustrating for you to have completed it and then find the fuselage roundel issue. Hope you reach a decision you can live with...my suggestion would be to buy another one. :evil_laugh:

Talking of roundels, the pic was taken as 264 Sqn was adding underwing roundels to their airframes - 'PS-U' in the background clearly doesn't have underwing roundels whereas other pics of 'PS-V' show that she carried them. Just saying in case you want to add a bit more colour to the undersides. :)

Must get one of these once they appear this side o' t' Pond...and then work out what to do with the CA kit that's sitting in my stash.

Edited by mhaselden

Beautiful - inspiration to start mine!

I would leave the roundel - if you correct it, odds on someone will then find a photo with the version on the kit decals.

Edited by bryanm

• 1 year later...

I'm in the throes of completing one of my Defiants as L7005 in the "Phoney War" and Battle of France periods as depicted on the front cover of the Osprey "Blenheim, Havoc and Defiant" volume with Night/White/Aluminium undersides.  Biggest problem at present is finding a suitably sized Yellow outer ring for the port underwing roundel.