Wow, wheeled kits are so much different than aircraft, but you've made the transition with aplomb Jon. It's looking very fierce already.

I think that the Vignette GB allows for elements to have already been assembled, so you could build the diorama itself during that one if you want.

• Like 1

Cheers Cookie. Yes different, but still interesting. Heck, I like most sorts of machinery truth be told.

The Grizzly has an annoying seam on top of the front mudguards. Now the pragmatist in me says it will be hidden by the front luggage rack and any stowage I add, but an irritating bit of me wanted to try and sort it, so it was out with the filler.

26035486654_a49d8a0546_c.jpgYamaha Grizzly Quad (Airfix 1/48) by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Meanwhile, I've been mucking about (excuse the pun) with the Jackal wheels.

26037757223_1f7c85a806_c.jpgWheel weathering tests by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Clockwise from top left:

Sand (yellow) Humbrol powder

White Humbrol Powder

Humbrol dust wash (not dry, so an unfair comparison)

Mixed Sand and White dust (applied a bit too heavy and probably not a 50/50 mix.

I think I prefer the plain white (although the mix would be good if applied more lightly), but what is really interesting is that the Sand, applied over the base colour of the hubs, has given them the yellowish cast seen in photos of real Jackals. A date for the body panels with Sand powder beckons methinks.

Having read that back, obviously I apologise for the unlikely use of "really interesting" - it made me happy, at least.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Parenthood and the myriad responsibilities of being a grown-up have rather got in the way of late, but today, with a day off as the schools were off, I had an hour spare and knocked up a quick base to display the Op Herrick stuff. Hope you approve - much work still to do to tone down colours, add vegetation and mess, etc.

27164082336_9d1ed6eaa1_c.jpgOp Herrick dio by jongwinnett, on Flickr

27164087886_97a9e450aa_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

26593672613_d4e3fa33a4_c.jpgDiorama by jongwinnett, on Flickr

26592350854_8ef8970348_c.jpgDiorama by jongwinnett, on Flickr

27129518211_3009d4b313_c.jpgDiorama by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Ignore the background and this gives some idea of the photo angles I'm hoping for:

27129515101_f7e8b4863e_c.jpgDiorama by jongwinnett, on Flickr

27198623635_3d7cbc7085_c.jpgDiorama by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 7

Kind words but actually it wasn't entirely successful, too large, too heavy and too hastily built, meaning the ground cover and surface didn't dry out fully and then cracked and peeled.

Mark 2 (and possibly 2a) are underway, the buildings have been recovered and reused on smaller, lightweight, foam board bases that will fit within an A4 photo frame. Am deliberately taking my time a little more with the second go, so no pics yet. Watch this space!

• Like 1

I like the new arrangement much better, but the top thin card/paper surface of the foamboard has completely delaminated. I shall attempt to stretch it flat and re-glue it tomorrow, but failing that I will have to detach the buildings again, re-fix them direct to the foam (or do I give up and get some thin ply instead?) and then re-putty them with Das, then re-spray - but I have run out of the textured aerosol so will need more.

Grrr...

27036996670_7862f5fd76_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

27242147041_44aa8c2fbe_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 1

Hmm that's a royal pain with the top layer of the foam-board Jon, because I think that's the way forward... too late for this one I suppose but do you think a pre-spray coating of something like PVA glue could provide a suitable barrier against the aerosol solvents?

Hope you find an easy and effective solution:)

Cheers,

Stew

It wasn't salvageable - so I bit the bullet and dismantled it and cleaned up the castings for a second time. Of course, they say third time's the charm, so hopefully we will see progress tomorrow.

• Like 1