Having made a bit of a mess of my Sea King, and seeking some light relief, I've started assembling one of the Airfix Jackals. I have one each Jackal and Coyote to build, plus crew and Landies. More or less OOB.

Mini-stash:

26032623150_7bbcb900ed_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

As I mentioned on the Sea King thread, I was inspired when a Jackal rolled past me in the village late one evening, crew muffled against the Scottish summer, and I thought what a cool looking bit of kit. And I love Land Rovers.

Obligatory parts shot:

26307142435_9a65b34492_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 1

I'm no expert in these things, but that gives me the freedom to bash them together without worrying too much about any detail errors (if there are any?)

So:

26307448575_1ca7193fbd_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Mostly OOB, but I didn't like the moulded on stowage net so sanded them off (before and after shot)

26308499745_7baaaa302e_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

26035641070_86db69a22f_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

26216104602_020bb5596c_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

25703778824_639c08b6f2_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

26035772120_d5ae163f44_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

I know Airfix made an etch to detail these, but it seem to be out of stock everywhere, and I never picked any up when I had the chance. Ho hum, I shall press on without it!

• Like 2

By my standards this has been an incredibly quick (but very satisfying) build.

State of play tonight - have started the jerry can racks but they need a lot of tlc so no photos yet.

26286563136_9c206da200_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

26246291351_0287b29425_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

So far all built from the Airfix components (front wheels turned and the net sanded off are the only "enhancements" as such) but the kit wheels are woeful. Not to worry, I bought mine from Gasoline in France at the time when they were throwing in "free" replacements if you ordered the kit from them. They are rather better than the originals!

25709749853_c5168428f5_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 1

Photos later, but the can racks proved surprisingly easy to clean up, not nearly as bad as I feared on first impressions. Photos later, if progress continues at this pace we may get paint on before close of play tonight.

No paint, and its wet and cold now so none tonight either.

The rear raised bit (aerial tray?) was a difficult fit, needed clamping to get the forward legs to attach. The gun ring is just resting in place to ensure the legs set in the right position.

26238731012_eed352831f_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 1

Cheers Stew

Airfix say the front panel can't be fitted before the crew, but I've had a dry run and I can't see anything that will prevent me adding them after build up. It will make adding the transfers harder but worth it to get a solid fit and one shot for painting.

Found an interesting video with some useful references

The base colour is Humbrol 237 applied from a rattle can. it is perhaps not quite yellow enough for a factory fresh vehicle, but looks quite convincing to my eyes for a sun-bleached example.

26303004562_3ea0462284_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

26369443206_d3711c6105_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Seats and spare wheel cover given a spray of Tamiya "Wooden deck tan" which looks pretty close to the colour of the seats but perhaps not quite dark enough for the spare wheel cover, but some weathering/toning will sort that.

26395351355_357bbce192_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Hi. I built this kit straight from the box and now wish that I had splashed out on replacement wheels! You've done a great job so far and I look forward to seeing the next instalment.

I have to say the Gaso-line wheels look superb to my eyes and were well worth it.

If nothing else, my last two posts illustrate vividly the effect of different light sources on colour. I've done no post processing on the photos, but whereas spraying in the loft is under harsh cold fluorescents, the second shot is under the halogen spots in the play room. Quite a contrast.

Jon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...