1/72 Pavla/Octopus Seafire Mk III with Skyfarer Intrusions

How very, very amusing. I am so amused that I think my head's gunna fall off. It had cooled down somewhat from the 44.8 °C maximum of this arvo, so methought that I would continue on with the work of earlier today when it was cooler (marking out F12 for lightening hole drilling).

I got three holes drilled and reached for the camera: flat battery. I. Laughed merrily at that one. Grumbling slightly, I put the battery on the charger and changed tack: time to glue back the broken-off V-frame back onto F12 while the battery charges, methinks.

Went out to the shed to look for the Roket HOT (Hot, Hot, Hot!!!, to quote @bbudde) CA (only 40 °C out there), and no glue. I then hear the air conditioner go off. Ah, The Boss has felt too cold and turned said appliance off. But Wait, No! The power's gone off again: same Bat Time, same Bat Channel. (Apparently the local substation catching fire was a real event, not a Twatter rumour, and there was still herd of vehicles around it this morning.)

This the point where my head nearly detached itself from my person on account of uproarious mirth, oh my.

The one bright glimmer, ahem, is that I bought up BIG on candles when I went shopping this morning (and had the burning substation rumour confirmed).

'Power is expected to be restored by 9 pm.' Another witty joke to ease the burdens of the day. Ha ha. Ooh look, there goes yet another flying pig (we have a lot of them around here, you see).

One useful outcome, however, is that this latest amusement has put salt on my tail to get onto our Solar Array installer for a quote on a Tesla Powerwall. Or two. Or three.

Speaking of quotes, here's Benedikt's quoted video:

It is rather warm here. Hot, Hot, Hot, even. No thunderstorms - yet - though it does look hopeful in the West.

Cool change this evening, only 35 °C tomorrow - chilly!

More later when/if the power comes back on. I dare say that I could use the iPhone's torch...

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: <-- Hot, Hot, Hot under all that wool, too.

• Like 5

If they built a duct that led through the Earth from your place to mine, all that excess heat at your end could flow here and stop me having to wear thermal underwear (ex-army undies and indestructible since you ask). No wait. I didn't factor in the earth's core; I'd just flood our homes with magma and we'd both have greater heat problems....

Tony

• Like 4

Well, I did use the iPhone's torch, worked quite well: almost as bright (not really, I exaggerate) as my powerless desk-lamp, enable me to do the glueing and finish drilling the F12 holes. 

I had a little accident1 drilling the straboard bottom one, but as it will be hard to see in the end, not too much of a problem. And it's not as though it's the most accurate kit out there (poor excuse, I know - sorry), which means that I'm not going to sweat too much more over it. Well, of course at the moment sweating is unavoidable, but I specs you know wot I mean...

There was even enough juice in the battery to take a few snaps:

1. Actually, since I'm tapping this out on the ipad, I'll post this now and add the snaps to it when the power comes back on, given the pad's inability to do anything sensible with Flickr. If the power comes back on: as with the other day they keep putting the time back, and I'm not convinced that this one is a - relatively - quick fix.

1 Nothing too serious...

A copule of Brits in this photo, by the way: far left, Rob (Bob) Kretschmer (guitar); far right, Andy Qunta (keyboards). Iva (né Ivor) Davies (vocals, guitar) has Welsh ancestry (as one might expect) and is also an oboist/cor anglais player. A third Brit, not in this line-up having left the band for The Orb then Pink Floyd, was Guy Pratt (bass). A fourth, very briefly (one song), was Brian Eno (treated piano), also in the previous line-up.

• Like 3

Tesla Power Wall - they are the future! (Says their marketing department)

This solar stuff is getting cheaper all the time eh? The longer you wait, the longer you wait...

I still like Tony's idea of harnessing the Earth's core though... where's my drill...

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

If they built a duct that led through the Earth from your place to mine, all that excess heat at your end could flow here and stop me having to wear thermal underwear (ex-army undies and indestructible since you ask). No wait. I didn't factor in the earth's core; I'd just flood our homes with magma and we'd both have greater heat problems....

Ah ha ha ha ha! You would be lucky if it were just magma! You've forgotten about the molten radio-active core (wot drives everything else). But you would be crispy warm... Which reminds me of Greg Bear's Forge of God and Pratchett & Baxter's fourth Long Earth book. Both frightening, but the Bear one more so

12 minutes ago, CedB said:

Tesla Power Wall - they are the future! (Says their marketing department)

This solar stuff is getting cheaper all the time eh? The longer you wait, the longer you wait...

I still like Tony's idea of harnessing the Earth's core though... where's my drill...

Well, we've waited a little bit for the batteries and the Mk 2 model is out now. It's a matter of where the break-even point might lie, and as you say, the longer you wait... There's a better term for the break-even point wot I popped in there that eludes me at the moment, must be the heat.

Regarding the drill, see my comment above ;).

8.30 pm and still 39 °C, with a strong and very hot wind (and abrief shower of...water? Frogs? Fish? :shrug: Tomorrow's 'cool change' has been revised to 38 ° :(. 25 ° and wet in Adelaide today, though...

Getting dark now, will have to open the packet of nice white beeswax candles that I acquired today and set fire to one of 'em.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlexN said:

Which reminds me of Greg Bear's Forge of God and Pratchett & Baxter's fourth Long Earth book. Both frightening, but the Bear one more so

I seem to recall one of Gregory Benford's 'Galactic Core' sequence also featuring a fall through a planet from one side to the other...

Enjoy the romance of candlelight! 

Tony

• Like 1

Power came back on the dot of 10 pm.

The romance of candlelight was somewhat negated by the fact that it's still 36 ° at 11 pm...

I'll have to check out the rest of the Galactic Core series - I recently re-read the first book In the Ocean of Night, which I really enjoyed (again). Also read his post-Asimov contribution to the Foundation series the one with the Joan of Arc and Voltaire sims - interesting concept) which I found rather claustrophobic in flavour, although it was a good book.

I got myself in a tangle regarding the core: the inner one is solid iron (mostly) and nickel: I'm not sure where I got the radio-active bit, so I'll have to try and track down some recent literature (I very nearly became a Geologist with interests in palaeontology, plate tectonics and sub-lithosphere structure, but stayed in Ag: a decision that I have regretted more than once).

I'll have to deal with the un-uploaded snaps tomorrow, it has got too late.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexN said:

I recently re-read the first book In the Ocean of Night, which I really enjoyed

I still have the original paperback copy of this I bought in 1980. Fabulous book and frequently re-read. 'He found the flying mountain by its shadow...': I was reminded of that superb opening by the recent Rosetta imagery:

Comet_on_11_August_2016_OSIRIS_wide-angl

Tony

• Like 2

Ok, this could be something chilling from another side of the world. 39°c were max. at 2003 here with a similar summer on the north half globe, but very exhausting for two and a half month. But for that, without doing too much candle fire:

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I still have the original paperback copy of this I bought in 1980. Fabulous book and frequently re-read. 'He found the flying mountain by its shadow...': I was reminded of that superb opening by the recent Rosetta imagery:

Thank you for that quote, Tony: very evocative - and for the fabulous, gorgeous photo of Rosetta! I must re-re-read In the Ocean of Night! Speaking of favourite novel sequences, the fantastic, phenominal Dune saga gets re-read every couple of years or so (I found the 'sequels' by Herbert's son, apparently using his Dad's copious notes for these books that he never got the chance to finish, not as good as Frank's writing, but that is to be expected). I particularly like Dune, Children, and God Emperor.

16 hours ago, bbudde said:

Ok, this could be something chilling from another side of the world. 39°c were max. at 2003 here with a similar summer on the north half globe, but very exhausting for two and a half month. But for that, without doing too much candle fire:

16 hours ago, bbudde said:

And almost today ten years ago. I went  home by bike without using my pedals and I was fast and home soon. Some bricks from the roofs here and there. But all ok.

Thank you for the videos, Benedikt. The Fade-out Line is one of my favourite songs from recent times :). Very chilling. Got up to 40 again today - the Boss and I cunningly escaped the worst by going up to her Dad's p[lace furhter up the Mountains - where it was considerably cooler (only 30). No power blackout when we got home either, which was a bonus - and a surprise!

The video of the hurricane in Germany reminds me of being in Hamburg in the middle of winter in 1983: I had just got off the Polish Ocean Lines freighter I had been a passenger on for over five months at the Kiel Canal from the English Channel, and a vicious storm with 100+ km/hr winds came snorting through. I remember chimney pots being blown off roofs and crashing in the street and nearly hitting people. A day or so later it snowed: my first experience of newly fallen snow. The light was so different when I woke up in the morning that I knew that it had snowed overnight (and it had done that heavily). It was truly magical :).

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Chair great .STOP.  Heat sounds great/horrible .STOP. Ideas about drilling to earths core and beyond intriguing .STOP. It's brass monkeys on this side of the planet.STOP. Please don't.STOP.

Johnny. ;)

:). Nice post - very telegrammatic :). I feel even cooler reading about the brass-monkey weather!

OK, here's the snaps from yesterday (and one from today) - it wasn't worth putting them in that previous post, things had moved on considerably:

1. Seafire Frame 12 taped onto a CA-proof lid with Sellotape for glueing back the V-subframe. The tape was used to secure the frame in place and stop it skating about every time I prodded it - or even breathed out. The first three lightening holes have been drilled, the others marked out ready

32258740556_7a240954f1_b.jpg

Seafire Frame 12 taped onto a CA-proof lid with Sellotape by Alex1N, on Flickr

2. Frame 12 turned over to glue the other side of the V-subframe. One or both of the frames had a bit of a twist

31456111564_d8e8e90092_b.jpg

Frame 12 turned over to glue the other side of the V-subframe by Alex1N, on Flickr

3. Both sides of the V-subframe glued back in place

32258789476_b9b024be97_b.jpg

Both sides of the V-subframe glued back in place by Alex1N, on Flickr

4. Both sides of Frame 12 drilled out for lightening holes. You can see where the mistake was - a bit unbalanced

32298093205_0d062dfb7a_b.jpg

Both sides of Frame 12 drilled out for lightening holes by Alex1N, on Flickr

5. Frame 13 with holes drilled. I broke out the side in the two top holes of the first side drilled. Not to worry...

32178323571_78583f05d2_b.jpg

Frame 13 with holes drilled by Alex1N, on Flickr

Follow the following link to my Seafire flickr album...

Getting there slowly. I think that I have a brown resin cast of Frame 13 somewhere, but I couldn't find it when I went looking for it. I'll have another hunt since I'd rather not have that frame looking as though the moths have been at it, but if I can't, I won't fret about it.

That's all for the moment.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 5

Hello looks promising. Just two photos before and after that hurricane at the promenade in front of the castle. The place behind the castle is the botanic garden with massive very old trees from all around the world. On the promande and the place before there were old oaks and limetrees with up 20m height They were knocked of like matchsticks. It was a sad picture the day after

2006:

hindenburgplatz2006

and 2010:

hindenburgplatz2010

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3

Ouch! :(. A bit of replanting after the chainsaws and chippers had departed?

A belated welcome to my back-water thread, Benedikt (although I have to confess that I lured you here with a Cure video ;)).

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

Oh well, at least they were thinking ahead - an unusual activity in Homo sapiens. Especially in my case...

I managed to find not one but two copies of frame 13 in my yellow-lidded box, plus the best of the moulds (note spelling, Ced ;)) for it. I did think about drilling the eight holes in the cross-member but rapidly - nay, hastily - gave up the idea as I don't have a small enough drill - or good enough eyesight or patience.

I have been wondering where Mr Tiger is - he has reapeared on the forum and claimed that he was going to visit this thread, but as yet not sign. Perhaps I shall do what I usually do when I want to get people's attention - prod 'em with an '@'. So @TonyTiger66, where is you?

Apart from finding the frame 13 parts, nothing further got done on the Seafire today. Gardening in the morning and a rather exhausting RFS training session in the afternoon. Exhausting mostly because...

It seems that the virtual planet-tunnel (another also appears in the last season of Joss Whedon's Angel) as constructed by Tony TheBaron has in fact delivered cold but not in the form of a drop in temperature, but - Ced's cold! :rant: :crying: I woke up with a sniffle, the gardening didn't improve it, and neither did the training. So the rest of the day was spent with my paws up resting (reading BM, snoozing and watching Grand Designs followed by Midsomer Murders, two of my favourite telly shows).

In other modelling news, I did manage to acquire a 2-metre length of melamine-coated chipboard and some 1.5 x 3" pine  yesterday, to replace my long-defunct (and rather shorter) large-scale fuselage alignment jig, a casualty of its having been MDF ('orrible stuff, won't have a bar of it) and the old Workswamp.

I'm hoping to be sble to get back to the Seafire some time later tomorrow. I also need to get an Evergreen plastic order sorted out, too: there are some essential sizes of sheet and square strip not in my stocks.

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: appears to have the cold too, poor thing.

• Like 5

Maybe you should avoid changing too much from inside to outside. There is always an ugly interaction on your body with sweating outside in the heat  and getting chilled (shock cooled?) inside by air condition.

• Like 1

Hello Alex!

It worked :winkgrin:! The old @ sign never fails. I'm slowly catching up on a few vast threads.

There are quite a few pages of this one I still want to read. Something in my nature makes me want to make sure I've read all of people's build threads (those I folllow).

This is especially the case with ones that involve drilling through the earths core, hurricanes, power station fires, Seafires, home cast (or moulded - yes, with a u, it's the 'Brit'muddler in me that forces me to include that u know) parts and discussions of music, space and fiction!

One excuse for my tardiness is house hunting. This time of year in Canberra, many, many students and also military cadets are searching for accommodation. Mrs T and I, middle aged wombles that we are, don't seem to be quite as attractive an option to the leasing agents, as these bright young things sponsored by mummy and daddy :(

We looked at 12 houses last week, applied for 9. In between that Mrs. T was working full time and learning her new job. I was being driven right round many bends by every map app I have, all of which are thoroughly unreliable in Canberra. On each journey I heard the phrase "proceed to the route" many times.

This phrase actually means "I've got you completely lost sunshine!". It did. So. Many. Times.

Circles, circles and more circles. That is the road network design of Canberra. I am used to 'blocks'. I'm trying to curve the edges of my interior envoronmental

perspectives. I might need a better set of curling tongs :confused: .

Other reasons for tardiness include a rotten molar. This chose removal week to completely burst open and expose a raw nerve, sticking up like a sprig of asparagus. Pain? Oh yes. Exquisite, keening pain, like a white needle from the jaw, via the ear and temple into the brain. 38° in the car. Round and round.

"Proceed to the route. Proceed to the route"

Then there's that special moment when the iPhone gives up the game altogether, about to reach critical mass, giving the warning 'iPhone too hot'.

So was its owner. Then the wobbly, floppy, fatal or maiming crash encouraging, top quality (not)  Chinese made 'SuperCheap (not) Auto' brand phone/window sucker mount thingy.

What a heap of parrot droppings that device is, can't wait to take it back, once I can actually find my way

"Proceed to the route"

(Root canal on Wednesday morning actually)

to a branch of Supercrap Auto and do my best impression of Victor Meldrew (really not hard at all, it's my default these days) :clif: .

Our 56 boxes of stuff arrived today. The toothache is nice whilst sorting through dusty boxes, as is the heat, pollen and general fatigue.

Still, I bought Mrs. T the entire X Files on DVD for Christmas (tactical purchase) and some real pleasure has occurred this evening; episodes 1-4 already done.

She bought me the entire original 'Twilight Zone'. That will start tomorrow.

One vast post to make up for the many I should have written Alex.

I wish I had been here more for your moulding experiments. I'll visit them. Glad to hear you have power again and that you're (relatively) safe through the ludicrous heat. It has been quite ferocious here around mid-day to 2 pm, but not as bad as just 3 hours further north (your neck of the woods).

I have to say that I love your name for 'Twitter'. Your vowel substitution gives a far more descriptive, accurate and amusing name for that particular anti-social network :D.

All the best

TonyT

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgh! 

• Like 5

On 15/01/2017 at 23:38, bbudde said:

Maybe you should avoid changing too much from inside to outside. There is always an ugly interaction on your body with sweating outside in the heat  and getting chilled (shock cooled?) inside by air condition.

Yes - probably the a/c in the car, which is set on coldest...bit of a thermal shock getting out of the dry cold into the wet heat!

Bit cooler last couple of days, back to 42 tomorrow. And not The Great Answer, either. Saw footage of schnee in Europe on the telly news last night, very refreshing :).

On 16/01/2017 at 02:32, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello Alex!

It worked :winkgrin:! The old @ sign never fails. I'm slowly catching up on a few vast threads.

There are quite a few pages of this one I still want to read. Something in my nature makes me want to make sure I've read all of people's build threads (those I folllow).

Hello Tony, great to have you back: you and your humorousnesses have been missed! I'm possibly going to have to distinguish between you - TonyT - and TheBaron - TonyTB - though: TonyTB sounds rather awful, TB even worse, cough cough gasp. I dare say that something will occur in my febrile and loopy imagination.

Other reasons for tardiness include a rotten molar. This chose removal week to completely burst open and expose a raw nerve, sticking up like a sprig of asparagus. Pain? Oh yes. Exquisite, keening pain, like a white needle from the jaw, via the ear and temple into the brain. 38° in the car. Round and round.

Aargh! Ouch! That reads like a perfect description of one of Dante's levels of Hell. And some of the Asian ones, too. I admire your ability to laugh in the face of it, wonderful humour (much of Humour being derived from pain...).

I have to confess that I delight in making Siri say "proceed to the route" when I know where I'm going and she doesn't, heh heh :wicked: ... It's horribly disconcerting when she says that and I don't! 

Sorry to hear of the house-hunting trauma: I have been observng the increasing social divide since around 1986 - it has got much worse, not better. The exceedingly rich get obscenely richer and the Devil take the hindmost :rant:. The lessons of the French Revolution have been either forgotten or ignored. Those who ignore the lessons of history being doomed to repeat them, and so forth :angrysoapbox.sml:. Don't get me going about food security either, I'll be instantly banned. All the best with finding a place: I'm sure that you will :).

I'm becoming more like Victor Meldrew with each passing year, myself.  As for car phone-holders, I acquired something similar but not from 'Super Cheap' >shudder<, and had to make a mod with a large blob of boat epoxy glue to get the cradle that fitted the iphone 5s and its surrounding (excellent) Lifeproof case to fit the window-affixed stand. This worked fine for a bit but now keeps falling off. Or rather, kept: I think it's in the glovebox now. :rant: (I love that : rant : emoticon :wub: ).

+1 to what Ced said about your tooth - look after yourself.

I've always been meaning to watch the X-Files: one of those pieces of Kultcha wot I missed out on, Twilight Zone, ditto, only even more so (I caught up with Buffy, etc., after the event).

Nothing done today - car registration matters and gardening at father-in-law's in the morning, recovering from that (and yesterday) for the rest of the day on account of doing said stuff under the influence of a cold. Idiot! I couldn't avoid the car stuff, but the rest, well...

I have been reviewing my latest snaps above and pondering frame 13. Remembering that we had sticky tape about the place was - for me - a really clever idea for stopping small parts from skating about, or blowing away when breathing out through my nose. I must try to remember to use it more often. Maybe if I keep the roll of Sellotape on the workbench...

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: <-- not a roll of Sellotape

Thanks for the kind words about me rotten toof gents. An appointment with 'Lin and Lang' dentists on Wednesday. 

Worried.

Sounds more like an 80's pop act than dentists. Dancing twins with shoulder pads, drainpipe jeans and big hats, hoop earrings.

Perhaps they will be 💃 ?

Hope your cold gets better soon Alex 

TT

• Like 1

A footage of Schnee? Maybe this can cool your brain a bit. Not today in snow, but cold anyway with -6°C tonight? Maybe we can make a deal: You give me 20°C and I give you nothing, therefore 0°C and so we could both be happy with roundabout 20°C. Oh, I'm such a genius in natural sciences. :book::winkgrin:

20130121_171539.jpg

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, CedB said:

At 2:30?

An oldie but a goodie :D. Coat definitely NOT required :).

Circles, circles and more circles. That is the road network design of Canberra. I am used to 'blocks'. I'm trying to curve the edges of my interior envoronmental

perspectives. I might need a better set of curling tongs :confused: .

I'm used to a (north-south) grid, too. Sydney is all over the shop in the place whete we last lived: i was always 100+ degrees out of phase, most disconcerting :(. Things weren't helped by being on the sou-sou-westerly-ish (wrong) side of a deep gully.

I'm similar here, I must confess (currently nearing the end of Fritag's excellent 80-page (new forum count!) JP thread - then on to his Hawks). Thank you for your kind patience :).

All the very best for the root canal tomorrow, will be thinking of you.

I think I'll trot off now and investigate some hole-drilling.

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: <-- not a drill

• Like 1