End of an era

Victor K2

208 Squadron is laying up it's colours.

A fine squadron is to finish no later than 30/6/16. It is due to fly it's last official sortie next week. Most of the staff (pilot's) have had their postings and the ground crew (civilian) now face redundancy. I leave it to others to think of the logic as to why a highly successful squadron has been closed ahead of it's official 100th anniversary.

Victor K2

Some of the last graduates were fish-heads (last Friday).The last 2 students finish their course this week and then a few "farewell flights" up to the 13th April. The aircraft are already being dispersed or mothballed as they wind down. I doubt that 4 Squadron will match the success of 208 in the training role.

The fact it started off as NAVAL 8 would probably be a good enough reason for the RAF to kill it off?

Well, as it is not the RAF killing it off I'll take that as just being tongue-in-cheek.

There is only one ex-RNAS squadron still in existence now, however. No.206 Squadron is based at Brize Norton and operates as the operational evaluation unit for the Hercules and Atlas.

208 Squadron is laying up it's colours.

A fine squadron is to finish no later than 30/6/16. It is due to fly it's last official sortie next week. Most of the staff (pilot's) have had their postings and the ground crew (civilian) now face redundancy. I leave it to others to think of the logic as to why a highly successful squadron has been closed ahead of it's official 100th anniversary.

Victor K2

It was meant to disband well ahead of its 100th, but was extended to meet additional training requirements, particularly for overseas trainees. Look on the bright side, though - its seniority is such that there is a slight chance that it'll reappear as one of the two extra Typhoon squadrons or as a Protector (cuddly Reaper...) unit. Or possibly, as its Naval Eight,moon the P-8...

Actually, thinking about it, I'd not be at all surprised were IV® not to be restored to the front line on Typhoon with the current T2 squadron renumbering as 208.

Edited by XV107
  • Like 1

Rumor has it that 208 is to re emerge as a JSF Squadron and poor old under performing IV ® Squadron stuck with T2's for the next 40 years,if we still have an Airforce ??? most probably this government will have sold them to Panama to evade yet more tax.

I'm getting old…….With 208 Sqn disbanding, thats every single Squadron that I looked after during my time at RAF Valley gone……19, 74, 234 and now 208………...Another sad day indeed

• Like 1

208 Sqn's last Hawk flight is today at 13.30 (local).

From 208's Facebook page: - With all training courses complete, the RAF's final Hawk T1 Advanced Flying Training Squadron will pay homage to previous Hawk T1 units and iconic landmarks in and around Wales, the Nation that 208® Sqn instructors and students alike have grown to love over the last 22 years.

208 Sqn's last Hawk flight is today at 13.30 (local).

From 208's Facebook page: - With all training courses complete, the RAF's final Hawk T1 Advanced Flying Training Squadron will pay homage to previous Hawk T1 units and iconic landmarks in and around Wales, the Nation that 208® Sqn instructors and students alike have grown to love over the last 22 years.

I can't believe it's been 20+ years since 208 was a Buccaneer unit!

Indeed the 208 Squadrons Hawk's shut down their engine for the last time today. Three aircraft (Mustang formation) took off for the last official sortie today and were met on landing by a small group of the remaining staff. The Boss invited all remaining Squadron personnel to a "last supper" get together in the Aircrew crew room for Pizza and KFC a few Beers and a "closing" speech.

A fond farewell to all the Instructors and the many students who were fortunate to have flown on what was arguably the finest of fast jet training Squadrons. To all the ground crew who kept this 40 year old plus aircraft safely flying for the 22 years 208 has been Premier Flying training Squadron, of which I have had the pleasure of 13 years (tomorrow) maintaining 208's Hawk's.

We who are about to be made redundant, salute you

To the Single Hawk Instructional Training Squadron, (what great initials ably suited to you) you will always lag behind.

Edited by Victor K2

208 gone. That scuppers my chances of a job at Valley then. Was on 208 when we scrapped the Buccs. Another sad day for the squadron. Would be nice if it returned though. The Flying Eye on an F35 would look cool.

Happy days

Scoots

I never had the pleasure of serving on 208 whilst in uniform but I would have liked to have worked on Buccaneers, still I did work on the finest aircraft ever to have graced the skies, the Handley Page Victor.