A little late to the party on this one but better late than never.

Going to create a `crash landing` dio for this build with a tad bit of battle damage.

Kit and plenty of reference pictures.

IMG_5425_zpszd4t7dhc.jpg

Progress so far.......

IMG_5428_zpsasekrfbz.jpg

..... and a rough idea of the base I`ll be using although I may make a new one depending on time.

IMG_5429_zpspzho5b4g.jpg

Edited by tc2324
  • Like 5

So I`ve have a slight change in plans in that this will be a long undiscovered wreck type build.

Perhaps a Corsair that crashed in a hot dry climate, parts were salvaged but overall it was left abandoned and left to the elements.

I drilled out some holes in the panel so it looks like over time the instruments have been scavenged and added a rust type ageing effects to the cockpit area as well as collapsing the seat.

IMG_5436_zpsjt67hgum.jpg

IMG_5437_zpsfdndwrkp.jpg

Next up was to drill out more holes for the gun ports and air intakes and to file out the plastic at the wing tips to add broken glass where the lights would be.

IMG_5440_zpsyi2wi1c2.jpg

..... and then to add the fuselage to the wings and it`s now starting to look like a Corsair.

IMG_5442_zpsmx4nhcnr.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers John.

Today's update shows the work completed on the propeller, engine and giving the model a base coat.

With the help for a bit of some blu-tak, the first picture shows the model in a possible `resting` position.

The last two pictures are close ups of the `sun bleached with a tad of rust` prop and engine work.

IMG_5444_zpss4bz4euw.jpg

IMG_5446_zpsfngqx7fb.jpg

IMG_5448_zpsp4hxpb8e.jpg

More soon`ish.

• Like 6

..... and so the next step towards making this look like a convincing abandoned wreck is to make it look a little new.

IMG_5466_zpsuybvisaf.jpg

I sprayed some USN blue onto the model in a very hap hazard way, there was no need to be careful with it and then placed some highly visible markings onto it.

Next step is to lightly, in a rather random way, spray aluminium paint onto the model so that the blue and marking are given a very `faded` look.

But first the wheels, flaps, canopy and other random bits that need doing.

• Like 4

A little bit of battle damage work done and a also put a `dent` in the external tank.

Quite obvious that involved foil and PE scraps.........

IMG_5467_zpszbsf490i.jpg

.... but with a lick of paint I think it`s come out reasonable and it will be the final weathering that makes it look a little more realistic.

IMG_5474_zpshdaxguow.jpg

IMG_5476_zpstsnqgjvl.jpg

• Like 2

A couple of update pictures for review.

IMG_5483_zpslbrmgbxd.jpg

IMG_5482_zpsshldaabe.jpg

An interesting learning curve in weathering and model wreck making techniques with some parts looking reasonably good and other bits not so.

All good fun though.

• Like 3

Thanks John.

A few few more details added. Broken canopy, ariels masts and prop are a given, but added a bit of combat damage as well. Tried to make these holes irregular as bullets tend to `tumble` in the air. May need a bit more practice on that side of things?

IMG_5488_zpsyyfmfoph.jpg

Approaching the finished line now.

• Like 3