Tamiya 1:32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc - A tribute to Wg Cdr J.E. 'Johnnie' Johnson

Hello fellow Britmodellers,

As suggested a couple of days ago on another Tamiya 1:32 Sptifire thread in the RFI section, I will be sharing my build of Tamiya’s 1:32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc which will eventually be part of a diorama that I have planned as a tribute to the great Wing Commander J.E. ‘Johnnie Johnson. The diorama will be in the form of the Spitfire being worked on by the mechanics in readiness for another sortie, with the engine covers off, whilst Johnnie is chatting to another officer on the ground by the open cockpit door?

Besides the 1:32 diorama as described above, I intend to have a 1:9 figure of ‘Johnnie’ Johnson himself at the front of the display and standing on his own small platform which will be set lower than the main diorama and probably in one corner of the base? Hope that makes sense?

I started working on this about a year ago when I was a member of another forum (which I have since left) and which you may recognise from that forum, but because of other commitments and life generally getting in the way, it got shelved. However, I want to get going on this build again and have decided to share the experience with you great guys now that Britmodeller is my one and only forum - of which I’m very pleased to be a member!!

Besides the basic Tamiya kit which many of you will know is a superb model straight OOB I am adding a whole raft of extras to this build to try and make this into something special? This will be a VERY lengthy WIP!!

So, what will I be using for this project?:

Base Kit:

Tamiya 1:32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc (Kit no. 60319) in the markings of Wing Commander J.E. ‘Johnnie’ Johnson.

Extras:

Eduard ‘Big Ed’ set (BIG3283) - Spitfire MkIX (Early)

Eduard (32772) Fabric seatbelts set

Aires (2148) resin Cockpit set

Aires ‘Quickboost’ (QB 32078) resin Exhausts (Fishtail)

Aires ‘Quickboost’ (QB 32152) resin Cockpit door

Aires (2128) resin Wheels & paint masks

Barracuda (BR32003) Spitfire cockpit upgrade set (as a back-up to the Aires cockpit set)

Master (AM-32-016) Turned brass Hispano 20mm cannons)

RB Productions (RB-P32022) Spitfire radiators (etch)

True Details (32514) RAF WWII era aircrew parachute #1 (which will lay flat either on the wing or on the ground?)

A lot of scratchbuilding!!!

I will probably be using a set of pre-cut masks for painting the insignia and markings, but yet to buy them.

In my time working on this kit whilst I was posting on the old forum, I started with the engine and spent a lot of hours adding loads of extra scratchbuilt details and have gotten to the point where the engine itself is almost complete and I’m starting to move onto the engine bearer/frame and looking at working on the firewall? I don’t want to go into detail all over again about how I’ve made some of the scratchbuilt stuff so I’ll just show a few photos of the construction of the engine and where I’m up to currently – I hope you like it!?

WARNING!! PICTURE HEAVY!!

The kit:

DSCF8444.jpg

Construction photos of the Merlin engine with extra detail added:

DSCF8698.jpg

DSCF8699.jpg

DSCF8700.jpg

DSCF8701.jpg

DSCF8703.jpg

DSCF8704.jpg

DSCF8707.jpg

I made an engine stand for the Merlin whilst I was working on it (Just for fun!):

DSCF8684.jpg

DSCF8695.jpg

DSCF8710.jpg

DSCF8711.jpg

DSCF8712.jpg

The Merlin starts to take shape after some colour and weathering has been added:

DSCF8741.jpg

DSCF8742.jpg

DSCF8743.jpg

DSCF8744.jpg

DSCF8745.jpg

DSCF8746.jpg

DSCF8747.jpg

DSCF8748.jpg

DSCF8749.jpg

DSCF8759.jpg

Followed by a lot of scratchbuilding of parts and then test fitting the supercharger/carburettor units with the Merlin just to be sure it all fits!!:

DSCF9266.jpg

DSCF9268.jpg

DSCF9269.jpg

DSCF9270.jpg

DSCF9251.jpg

DSCF9252.jpg

Started construction of the engine bearers - the firewall is only loosely fitted with a small piece of sprue left attached for ease of painting/handling:

DSCF9257.jpg

DSCF9279.jpg

DSCF9280.jpg

Temporarily placed the supercharger/carburetter unit into the engine bearer frame just to make sure all of my added detail doesn’t interfere with fit? (it fits ok!):

DSCF9260.jpg

DSCF9261.jpg

DSCF9262.jpg

Primer, base colour and detail painting:

DSCF9667.jpg

DSCF9669.jpg

DSCF9672.jpg

DSCF9673.jpg

DSCF9674.jpg

DSCF9685.jpg

DSCF9688.jpg

DSCF9689.jpg

DSCF9692.jpg

DSCF9696.jpg

DSCF9697.jpg

DSCF9698.jpg

Engine test fitted again with the supercharger/carburettor unit (gap is because they are not fully pushed together yet!):

DSCF9702.jpg

DSCF9704.jpg

DSCF9705.jpg

DSCF9706.jpg

There are still a few more pipes and cables to scratchbuild and connect between the two separate units!!

Engine bearers/firewall base painted:

DSCF9708.jpg

And that is where I am currently with this build!!

I shall be using this 1:9 figure (from Mitches Military Models) with my diorama:

DSCF8754.jpg

DSCF8755.jpg

DSCF8756.jpg

DSCF8757.jpg

DSCF8758.jpg

However, I will be replacing the stock head from the figure kit with one of ‘Johnnie’ Johnson from the same manufacturer:

DSCF9643.jpg

DSCF9644.jpg

DSCF9646.jpg

DSCF9648.jpg

Quite a good likeness I think:

DSCF9638.jpg

So there we are!!

A couple of quick questions before I close this post;

A – Do I build and include the 1:9 figure within this WIP as it’s part of my Spitfire project, or do I build it in the ‘Figures’ section of this forum and bring it back to the final display piece when all is done?

B – I seriously need some help with details of the firewall on a Spitfire Mk.IX as it is holding me up from putting the engine into the bearers/firewall assembly because I need the detail added first? What I want is photos/drawings of the routing of the various pipes and cables/wiring on the firewall? I am aware of some photos that were posted on this forum previously and don’t need to see them again, but I am hoping that one of you may have something that can give me the missing details? Otherwise, I’ll just need to guess but I’d rather be as accurate as possible after all of the work I’ve put into the engine side of this build?

Thanks for looking.

Kev :)

Edited by Mr Modeller
  • Like 9

Hey Kev

That's a great start to your build, I like the added detail to the motor, very nice! I think you should post your figure in the figure section and maybe put a link from your spit build to it and vice versa?

I can't help you with any additional details to the fire wall, a lot of my build was pure guess work from YouTube videos.

Lovin your work and look forward to seeing more.

Iain

• Like 1

Kev,

May I echo Iain's comments, great detail on the engine! For my opinion, one project, one thread.

I will see what I have and if I can track down some more information, I will let you know. If you have access to it, the Monforton book may assist you?

Regards,

Kent

• Like 1

That is fantastic detailing, I can't wait to see what you do with the rest of this! Sorry, I can't help with the firewall, but don't miss the chipped tooth! lol

Ian

• Like 1

My jaw is on the floor.... Whoa.... seriously good amazing work!

I'm really impressed with the precision of your painting. How do you do that??? Whenever I paint something small like pipe work or bolt heads it looks a mess even with dry brushing. Please share the secret...

• Like 1

Thanks for the nice comments guys, much appreciated and especially thanks to both Kent and Iain for posting the link to Wolf Buddee's build, I've had a look at the first few pages and already my question has been answered by looking at what he has done with his firewall, which looks pretty accurate to me, so I'll be using that as my reference and that's certainly removed a blockage that was holding up my progress, so full steam ahead now!! I can't tell you how grateful I am for that guys, thanks again!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well done to Wolf too if you're reading this, that's a fabulous build you have there - top job!! :thumbsup::coolio::Tasty:

Think I'll go with Kent on the question of which forums to post the various segments of this build, since it has aircraft, figure(s) and dio components and keep it all as one project here in the aircraft section, as long as that doesn't go against any forum rules - can any of the moderators please verify that it would be ok to do that?

My jaw is on the floor.... Whoa.... seriously good amazing work!

I'm really impressed with the precision of your painting. How do you do that??? Whenever I paint something small like pipe work or bolt heads it looks a mess even with dry brushing. Please share the secret...

I have a VERY steady hand, use a high quality Japanese made Optivisor to magnify everything, then either clamp the parts into one of those multi-pose modelling vices or blue tack the part to my cutting mat and rest my forearm on the bench, whilst making small strokes of the brush just by moving my wrist and fingers ..... and holding my breath whilst I do it (stop when you start feeling feint!! :sleeping:LOL!!)

Hope that helps? :thumbsup:

Edited by Mr Modeller
  • Like 1

I have a VERY steady hand, use a high quality Japanese made Optivisor to magnify everything, then either clamp the parts into one of those multi-pose modelling vices or blue tack the part to my cutting mat and rest my forearm on the bench, whilst making small strokes of the brush just by moving my wrist and fingers ..... and holding my breath whilst I do it (stop when you start feeling feint!! :sleeping:LOL!!)

That is very helpful. Thanks, presumably you thin your paint and do several coats?

• Like 1

That is very helpful. Thanks, presumably you thin your paint and do several coats?

Hello Leonl,

Yes, nicely thinned and several coats is the way, though sometimes if I want a slightly rougher appearance such as on parts which replicate a braided hose or similar on the real thing, I will maybe use something like one of the Humbrol metallic enamels or Citadel metallics and paint it on a bit thicker or even undiluted allowing it to dry with just a few brush strokes or metal flakes still barely visible in the surface. Then when you add a dark wash later they can give a half reasonable appearance of a braided hose?

Edited by Mr Modeller
  • Like 2

I'll certainly give that a go.

I have this kit in my stash, but it terrifies me!!

Well it's a fabulously detailed kit as it comes straight out of the box Leonl with nothing to be terrified about and no need for adding anything else if you don't feel confident or maybe just add the extra wire here and there, entirely a case of what makes you happy and that you enjoy your modelling, but it would be a shame to not build such a beautiful kit. So I'd say just take your time and build it how you wish, OOB is perfect and everyone should build to their own requirements?

Give it a go and make a start sometime Leonl, you'll not regret it, this one's a beauty and thanks to Tamiya's reputation for ease of construction in their kits it doesn't take much to make a stunning model of a Spitfire!! :thumbsup::Tasty:

Edited by Mr Modeller
  • Like 1

I'm sure I could build it and do an acceptable job of it but the kit is so good I'd like to do it justice. As yet I feel that I need a few more skills in my armoury before I tackle it.... Then I get the 1/32 Mosquito too!

• 1 month later...

Hi Kevin!

Most would have been happy with the level of detail provided in the kit. I'm happy that you decided to raise the bar further. It adds so much more to the overall finish.

And your paintmanship (is that even a word?) is very impressive! The way you precisely picked out the rivet, pipes and Rolls-Royce detail is astounding!

I'm intrigued though- A 1/9 pilot in a 1/32 diorama?

Looking forward to the next progress installment :)

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

Hi Kevin!

Most would have been happy with the level of detail provided in the kit. I'm happy that you decided to raise the bar further. It adds so much more to the overall finish.

And your paintmanship (is that even a word?) is very impressive! The way you precisely picked out the rivet, pipes and Rolls-Royce detail is astounding!

I'm intrigued though- A 1/9 pilot in a 1/32 diorama?

Looking forward to the next progress installment :)

Cheers,

Alex.

Hello Alex and many thanks for looking in on my WIP and your great comments, very much appreciated!! :coolio:

I can understand why you might be a little intrigued but I think the two conflicting scales will look OK together when seen as a whole (It looks fine in my head anyway - LOL!!)? This is a tribute build and so I wanted to include a really detailed figure of JJ and though the figure is in a much bigger 1:9 scale it will be set lower than the rest of the dio on its' own little plinth in one corner of the base? Almost as if you were looking at JJ and behind him is a scene with his Spit being worked on in readiness for his next sortie - kind of a false impression of distance? I know it sounds odd but I think it'll work, especially as the Spit is quite large in 1:32 scale anyway?

Thanks for asking Alex and apologies to yourself and all who are waiting for my next update, I've just been very busy with work and having little modelling time, but hoping to get more done very soon, so watch this space?

• Like 1

And tell me kev, does the merlin start first time....

Excellent work, you have really added so much detail!

Looking forward to what you do with that figure as well

Rob

Hello Rob,

I haven't given it a proper go at getting the Merlin running yet, though I did give it a quick flick on the starter motor when it was sitting in my home-made engine stand? I think I over primed it though as it just back fired loudly and belched some flames, so I stopped right there in case it melted the plastic!! LOL!!

Thanks for your comments my friend, much appreciated and I'll try to do another update as soon as I can?

Edited by Mr Modeller