So... what about the new Gustav from Eduard ?

galfa

Hi,

The topic says it all. We have a new 1/48 Bf109 G6 from Eduard. The second in a couple of years.

The first one was a disappointment. What about this one?

Cheers,

If Eduard haven't got it 'right' this time I would be very surprised.

some discussion here

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1459591981

I've not seen wailing and gnashing of teeth there, as yet.

• Like 1

I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed by the thought of it at the moment. I bought 3 of the original ones so I don't see me rushing out to get this one, I'll make do with maybe an Overtree or the Weekender edition when they come out.

Duncan B

• Like 1

I wonder what happened to all the original ones bought. I don't recall ever seeing one build in the flesh.

There's been a few on here. They actually build into a very nice model, albeit one that's slightly out of scale but 99.9% of people wouldn't be able to tell that.

thanks

Mike

• Like 2

I wonder what happened to all the original ones bought. I don't recall ever seeing one build in the flesh.

Mine is on here somewhere and there are a few others too. As Mike said they actually build up nicely with lovely surface detail.

Duncan B

apologies if you've seen this before, but here's one of mine..another four to go!

IMO its a very nice kit - despite the 'errors'. I'm still not very happy with the 'sit' either, I really had to do quite a bit of surgery on the gear legs and locating holes, but the surface detail is second to none. The new one has to be just as good, although I notice the price of the single example I've seen on ebay seems to have gone up quite a bit (+£3) from the first 'edition'..but like Duncan, I'll wait for something a bit cheaper than 27 quid...

1eduardbf109GrisoutsideBEST.jpg

• Like 3

I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed by the thought of it at the moment. I bought 3 of the original ones so I don't see me rushing out to get this one, I'll make do with maybe an Overtree or the Weekender edition when they come out.

With Duncan B on this I'm waiting to see the Zvezda release. Don't get me wrong. Eduard's new G will no doubt be superb, and I have none of the their previous release. But the price of Eduard over here has shot up enormously with recent fluctuations in currencies, and from recent experience with Zvezda's new tools, I am pretty sure my expectations of their forthcoming Gustav will be exceeded. Can't wait until they start popping their kits with etch included, although their contemporary mouldings are so fine, extensive and detailed, it could be argued they don't require it.

apologies if you've seen this before, but here's one of mine..another four to go!

IMO its a very nice kit - despite the 'errors'. I'm still not very happy with the 'sit' either, I really had to do quite a bit of surgery on the gear legs and locating holes, but the surface detail is second to none. The new one has to be just as good, although I notice the price of the single example I've seen on ebay seems to have gone up quite a bit (+£3) from the first 'edition'..but like Duncan, I'll wait for something a bit cheaper than 27 quid...

Just wondering now if the Brassin bronze landing gear legs fixed the sit of it or not.

thanks

Mike

Very impressive!

• Like 1

Well for me I'M holding out for 1/72 version( I think it will come) so here's hoping. The built up 1/48's still look petty good to me as seen here.

• Like 2

Seeing as I have about 18 Hasegawa and Fujimi BF109's in the stash I cannot see myself getting many Eduard versions. Maybe one or two of the (G-10) Profi packs only, depends upon variants/options

The comparason between the 2 kits is inevitable. All I can say is that both kits are very nice in the box and the original does build into a nice model, despite being a little out of scale. I've not heard any moans from anyone as yet about the new one and it has been available long enough now for someone to get it and check it.

thanks

Mike

Folks,

Would you please go back to my question focusing your attention on the second release?

We have been talking about the older release enough...

added to the new Hyperscale dscssion, http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1460064019/last-1460113842/%28View+All+Messages+In+This+Thread%29

Andreas posts here as 'A Beck' and seems to know what he's talking about

drawings/first view of kit April 8 2016, 3:07 AM

Hello,
Eugene commented on my previous post (sorry for the typos, wrong language setting in my notebook, which auto"corrected" when the note went out).
Radu`s drawings are based on the original factory drawings as far as available. There are no original drawings of the engine compartment in front of the firewall, only some rough outlines and cross sections (F). The original drawing set can be bought via e-bay.
I think Mustafin Mansur also posses the drawings from ZAGI who "re-designed" a captured plane. These plans are of most interest but not generally available.
The kit:
Mine came in yesterday and there are some critical points, I wouldn´t say "fatal issues".
1. profile line of the upper fuselage in front of the canopy
2. only early landing gear legs, suitable only for F and G-2/4
3. missing of the early tall rudder with the rounded edge
Fuselage length is corrected, wings span slightly bigger than on the Zvezda kit (in my view within limits and acceptable).
The rivets are a question of taste, but they should be deleted from the wing tips and the gun meat ball on the cowling.
Wish there had been the upper oil filling point as an option for late Erla built G-14s.
Before another Eduard I`ll wait for the Zvezda kit. Would be nice if MM gave a short comment about the state of this project.
HTH
Andreas Beck

the reference to Zvezda and Mansur Mustafin is the Zvezda 109 F kits are based on his research, (and are rated as the best F in any scale), which will carry over to their 109 G.

HTH

• Like 1

So wait for Zvezda then?

Duncan B

do either of us 'need' more 109's.... I'm happy to wait and see. I think the real question is when and who are going to do the late 109's

Zvezda are planning a G-6 only? Eduard I think are planning the later versions?

I am surprised that there is no Bf109's A-D series planned either...

• Like 1

That's akin asking "do any of us really 'need' more Spitfires" Troy. :banghead:

You for one would certainly realise that as the most widely recognised by lay public recognition of popularly publicised Battle of Britain lore or the 'average modeller' not particularly interested in type other than 'it's a Messerschmitt isn't it?" the suffix E and G models will always be the most prolific iterations of the Bf 109, and G-6 in the particular of the G series because of the familiarity and thus 'identification with' factors which sell for the same real reasons Spitfires of any Mk. sans bubble canopy are a marketing must.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to Zvezda's imminent Gustav release and will buy. If anyone is going to do Erla canopies and later Gs produced with the fidelity those of us who are concerned with such sub-types desire, Zvezda will be the one if market research indicates potential sales viable in a long run IM kit. Sure, Academy's very affordable reboxes cover E-3, G-6, G-14, and K-4 in 1/48, and Arii's venerable oTaki proclaimed G-6 rebox for all its age builds into a quite respectable G-5 too. But none of those are rich in the detail nor offer the fidelity sought today decried for any alleged digression from accepted 'drawings' by way of example in both of Edwards' new tool releases of type. It's no surprise Airfix refuse to make a model today of anything for which there isn't a preserved example to scan or provenance proven drawings extant! I am actually on their side in understanding that decision.

Re A/B/C or D suffixes. Whilst you and I would recognise and appreciate Jumo engined Bf 109s, earlies just aren't mainstream modeller fodder, the incidental buyer choosing a Messerschmitt over a Spitfire will invariably take to the counter the box with artwork depicting either a Battle of Britain or daylight American Strategic Air Offensive scene every time.

Apologize: The early style tall rudder with the rounded edge IS THERE. It is on the sprue with the fuselage halves.

Discussion:

Hyperscale: Discussion forums, 07.04.2016

ffmc: (you have to create an account to see pictures) under Forum -> Modellbau -> Modellbau-News -> Eduard 2015

IPMS-Deutschland: Steffen made a "fast go" on the kit. The pictures provide a general first impression on the appearance of the modell.

I hope Mustafin Mansur will intervene into the discussion soon to give some information about the state of the ZV kit.

Andreas Beck, Berlin

do either of us 'need' more 109's.... I'm happy to wait and see. I think the real question is when and who are going to do the late 109's

Zvezda are planning a G-6 only? Eduard I think are planning the later versions?

I am surprised that there is no Bf109's A-D series planned either...

I've got more than a life times worth of 109s in the stash in 1/72 but would probably add a G14 and ERLA G10 to my 1/48 stash. I have a couple of the Classic Airframes A/D which I've been holding back from building until I'm sure I can handle the build but if a new Jumo engined kit came along I'd add that too.

Basically I'm happy to wait and see what comes along as I jumped in too quickly and bought 3 of the original Eduard releases on the day they came out and regretted it after. I don't want to have a huge collection of 1/48 kits so was hoping the original 2014 kit was the definitive G6 kit, wrong!

Duncan B

• Like 1

Just got mine in the post today. I had the first release and it just didn't look right to me. This one looks much better! If there are discrepancies still then I can live with them, which is not how I felt about the first release. Thank you Eduard for your efforts!

Despite what I've said above I've ordered one of the Overtrees, at roughly £12 with BFC discount it seemed rude not to. Be quick if you want one as they are only available during April and it's a cheap way to get one if you already have decals in your stash.

Duncan B