Yak 23 Flora

On 14/12/2016 at 7:50 AM, Christer A said:

No expert in NMF finishen here, since I've never done one myself, but from what I've seen, the sheen on the black base will have an impact on the metallic layer. 

With that said, the mirrorlike finish seen on current warbirds feels a bit wrong for a russian aircraft. All pictures that I've seen shows a very dull or even matt finish and for that your semi matt black base will work fine.

That's correct. If you want a high gloss final finish, it's better to have the first layer of paint (in this case, the black base) as smooth (glossy) as possible. Each layer of paint have influence in the final finish, and it's harder to try to achieve a mirrorlike finish if the first layers of paint are matte. Also, before any painting, the surface of the plastic of the kit should be very clean and smooth, "polished", without sanding traces, scratches, etc.. 

As this is your first NMF attempt, you could do a test and paint a separate piece of plastic (or a small area of an old, discarded kit) with the same black base, including the use of different amounts of diluent to dilute the black; then you can sand with some fine grit, or even polish it with an automotive polishing paste (it's less "agressive" than sanding). Apply some of aluminum paint over the black polished / sanded areas to observe the result. It is possible, also, that you discover that even with a semi-matt black base you get a good bright NMF finish. Depending on the results, then you apply the solution found on your yak-23.

I'm suggesting this (the test on a separate piece of plastic) to avoid doing a direct experiment on your kit, with the risk of ruining it. And, as Christer A well said, a mirrorlike finish feels a bit wrong for a russian combat aircraft.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so moving slowly ahead with this one... having fun with metallic paints...

Now, this is a first for me, I never used any metallic paints. Therefore, I studied a little bit the issue, before choosing a certain brand of metallic pants.

After asking, reading and watching a lot of reviews and tutorials, I choose the Xtreme range from AK Interactive, because it is (supposedly) more resistant  (than the Alclads) and more lenient with the beginners.

After using these paints, my ascertainments are:

- AK more forgiving (than the alclads) with the beginners? - maybe...difficult to say...never used alclads...

- AK highly resistant metallic pant? - NO WAY!

First of all, I cleaned the entire model and afterwards touched it only with gloves.

Then, I primed it with the AK Interactive dedicated primer (black base).

Then I applied the first coat over the entire model, using matte aluminum.

I waited for 24 hours and I applied tamyia masking tape in order to paint the nose with duraluminium shade. The masking tape was first applied on skin, in order to reduce its adherence.

I applied the dural on the nose and while un-masking, the original layer or matt aluminum lifted in 3 separate places. In one case the primer came off also!

Of course, I sanded, cleaned and repainted the areas...but I was very disappointed, because they claimed that you can even apply these paints without priming - they are very resistant and you can use masking tape on them without any worries. Well, not so true, I guess.

Anyway, after this setback I gave up using tamyia tape for masking and started using post-it notes....after 48 hours since the first coat, a post-it lifted paint from one of the horizontal stabilizers...

Now, I might be inexperienced with metallic paints...but they are advertising this brand as being more resistant than other metallic paints when using masking tape. Judging on how AK behaved in my case, I guess that other (less resistant or less forgiving) metallic paints should peel off only when you look at them...so I am inclined to believe that the advertising was somehow over-optimistic:)

However, despite these setbacks, this is how it looks now.

Until now, I used shades of matt aluminum, dark aluminum, white aluminum, aluminum, duraluminum and steel. No protective gloss coat used yet. 

I still want to add some dark aluminum on some panels on the wings, in order to increase the contrast in that area...and also on the various removable panels&stuff.

Regards,

87_zpsti4i9aln.jpg88_zps7sochxgk.jpg89_zpsx7l8w8jy.jpg91_zpsqr84rs0f.jpg90_zpswi4bgffl.jpg

Edited by One-Two
  • Like 4

Was thinking of adding this kit to my stash and also trying the AK metalic paints until reading through your thread :blink:  You're doing a great job on this one regardless of the difficulties it's trowing in your path. Well done :goodjob:

• Like 1

Great job on the NMF!

I've used Tamiya and Gunze acrylics in the past to good effect, and while not Alclad, they are a lot more forgiving.

Karl

Edited by Bordfunker
  • Like 2

Thank you very much for your comments, Gents.

@Col.:

- although not very detailed and with some faults, this little kit was fun to build. I really enjoyed it. If you want a 1/48 Yak 23, I think that's the only option anyway;

- regarding the AK Xtreme paints, please keep in mind that I'm a complete novice with metallic paints - therefore my evaluation might be subjective.

After using them for a second time, I think that I'm beginning to see their qualities also: they certainly posses high coverage power, good pigment and they really spray nice and easy. I think they have also same sort of leveling capability.

Nevertheless, I have to maintain my criticism regarding their fragility.

In time, maybe I will obtain better results with them.

Now, returning to the model itself...

I gave it a coat of tamyia X22 diluted with leveling thinner (Mr.color).

Although this took away some of the metallic shine, my impression is that is not so bad as I read in some reviews.

The soviet aluminum was indeed more duller that the highly polished American bare-metal machines.

After the gloss coat cured, I put the decals.

It will be a Romanian registration - 135 Fighter Regiment, during the fifties'.

The Romanian decals were acquired separately, because OOB you can make only a Czech, Polish or soviet registration. And an American one, belonging to a captured machine which was evaluated in the US.

After buying the 1/48 Romanian communist registrations (the tri-color stars with registration numbers), I noticed that the stars were designed for the Mig family of aircraft - which are obviously bigger machines than the little Yak. Using the 1/48 stars was out of the question...so I bought also the 1/72 version of the same decal sheet.

In the end, I used the 1/72 stars combined with the 1/48 registration numbers (on the nose). It's a satisfactory compromise...I used as an inspiration the aircraft the attached picture from 1950-55. 

So this is where I am now.

Soon I hope I can give it another gloss coat over the decals, then some minor weathering and that's it.

I have to install the pitot tube and antenna also - but this will be done only I'm done with all the rest.

All the best,

Yak-23-ro-10440915_669437723125603_5293092_zps4wwfftct.jpg93_zpsbskl4xw0.jpg94_zpsvghqx7ey.jpg95_zpsbzint6fz.jpg96_zpsz1msobzl.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, One-Two said:

- regarding the AK Xtreme paints, please keep in mind that I'm a complete novice with metallic paints - therefore my evaluation might be subjective.

After using them for a second time, I think that I'm beginning to see their qualities also: they certainly posses high coverage power, good pigment and they really spray nice and easy. I think they have also same sort of leveling capability.

Nevertheless, I have to maintain my criticism regarding their fragility.

first of all, thanks for the build diary, I found it very very informative and I'll do a Yak-23 myself asap!

about the AK-Interactive xtreme metal paints, this video is quite long, but you may find it interesting. they had done a previous review where they too complained about the paint "fragility". and this is a follow-up

enjoy!

• Like 1

Thank you diegom.

In the meantime, not much progress with the little Yak. My airbrush failed me and I have to wait until it will be repaired.

The only news is a panel lines pin wash made with oil color...I used a blue-gray shade named Payne's Grey....hope its appropriate for a NMF aircraft.

I also applied some AK dust effects on the black walkways on the wings and painted the position lights from the wingtips.

Regards and thanks for looking,

97_zpsp7jmdczn.jpg98_zpsm3r7impw.jpg99_zpsgog53lqf.jpg100_zpsnyff0aqo.jpg

• Like 5

Seen from here, it seems very good. Your kit is well built and the aluminium finish is fabulous. Additionally, the Yak-23 is an airplane that you don't see every day, in fact I had never seen a '23 kit built. If this is your first NMF finish then you are more than ready for more other "silver" planes.

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind words, guys.

I'm glad you like the little Yak.

It's very close, but not ready yet...I still have to spray the final semi-gloss coat (in reality, although bare-metal, these machines were not so shiny, at least not for a highly gloss finish). Unfortunately, I'm stuck for the moment as I'm waiting some replacement parts for my airbrush.

After the airbrush repair and final coat, I have to install the antenna mast and the related wiring...and pitot tube...and then it's ready.

So pretty close, but not ready yet for shelf display:)

I'll come back with pictures when ready.

Cheers,

• 4 weeks later...